all posts post new thread

Barbell [Newsletter] SFL For the Explosive Throwing Athlete

silveraw

Level 9 Valued Member
The newsletter has had some awesome nuggets lately. I love seeing the classic strength sports content. Mark Valenti did a great job with this newsletter.

The latest newsletter covering using the standard barbell SFL lifts for highland games was a great article. But I am wondering the programming for adding explosive work to the RELOAD blueprint as suggested.

The recommendation for explosive work is 40-50% of max for explosive triples working up to 9-10 sets.

My question is how to program. Is the recommendation to just do blocks of 1 cycle straight RELOAD followed by 4-6 weeks of explosive training? Do you do RELOAD and replace some of the SV lifts with explosive work? Or is the best option to do RELOAD with a minimal template and do explosive work on other days?

From stuff that @Kenny Croxdale has posted I'd lean towards the second option. Do the main lift, followed by explosive SV work with some higher rep accessory work at the end. Eg. Squat 5/5, explosive front squat 3/4-9, followed by some "bodybuilder" stuff.

I've also seen the newish Tactical Barbell Concurrent template where it is rotating SBD lifts. Day 1 is Squat with strength focus, bench with explosive, light deadlifts for higher reps. Day 2: Bench strength focus, deadlift explosive, squat bodybuilding style. Day 3: Deadlift strength, squat explosive, bench bodybuilding. I haven't seen much feedback from that approach. And from what I've read, doing explosive work not directly tied to the strength work loses some of its benefits. But I have limited exposure to that type of training.

Any highland games/ strongman folks, I'd love to hear your ideas and approaches on applying SF to those sports.

The latest newsletter covering using the standard barbell SFL lifts for highland games was a great article.
Great Article

Yes, it was a great article.

The recommendation for explosive work is 40-50% of max for explosive triples working up to 9-10 sets.

The Westside Powerlifting Protocol

The 40-50% of 1 Repetition Max with Traditional Strength Training Exercises (Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift) is what they use.

Research has demonstrated the development of Power in Traditional Strength Training Exercise is approximately 48-62% of 1 Repetition Max.

The Westside uses "Speed Training" to define what is acctually "Power Training" with the Strength Training Movements.

The issue is that the labeling of "Power Training" as "Speed Training" is incorrect. It makes it hard to communicate. What term is then needed for "Speed Training"?

"Speed Training" revolves around loads with Traditional Strength Exercises with load of 10-40%, with 30% being the sweet spot.

Specific Power Training Movements

While performing "Power Training" with Tradition Strength Training Movements is effective, there are more Specific Training Movement that will evoke greater development of Power.

1) Olympic Movements

Research shows that some of, if not, the greatest Power Output is produced by Olympic Lifters with Training Percentages of 70-80% of 1 Repetition Max.

On a side note, Shot Putter throwing the Shot produce approximately the same amount of Power Output as Olympic Lifter.

"A Review of Power Output Studies of Olympic and Powerlifting: Methodology, Performance, Prediction and Evaluation Test"
Dr John Garhammer

During Entire Snatch or Clean Pull Movements:
34.3 w/kg Men
21.8 w/kg Women

Second Pulls:
52.6 w/kg Men
39.2 w/kg Women

Squat and Deadlift:
12 w/kg Men

For female powerlifters, "estimates indicate that the corresponding values
for women are 60-70% as great".

With this basic breakdown in mind, the power output comparisons of a
100-kilo male lifter in the clean, second pull and deadlift would be as follows.

Clean------------3430 watts
Second Pull----5260 watts
Deadlift--------1200 watts

Obviously, there is a huge difference in power outputs. The power output of clean pulls is 2.85 time greater than a deadlift. Second pulls are even higher with power outputs 4.38 times l arger than deadlifts. Garhammer's research showed that even when dropping the training poundage down to lower percentages for Olympic pulls and deadlifts, outputs for Olympic pulls were still almost twice as great.
Soure: The "No Deadlift" Deadlift Program

2) Kettlebell Swings

Research from Dr Bret Contreras demonstrated that Heavy Kettlebell Swing rivaled the Power Output of Olympic Movements...

StyleLoad (lbs)Peak Vertical Force (N)Peak Horizontal Force (N)
Squat Style702,170-2,349166-182
Squat Style1402,431-2,444278-353
Hip Hinge Style701,935-2,140340-402
Hip Hinge Style1402,325-2,550499-520

Science of The Swing

So how does bell size affect power output on the swing? It depends. To a certain extent increasing the bell size can increase power output. The magic number where increasing bell size actually decreases power output is around 30% of our body weight.
Force Production and Body Weight Ratio

1692349739109.png

Recommended Kettlebell Swing Load

Based on the information above, my recommendation is Kettlebell a Swing Load of at least 30% or higher. Higher based on Contreras' reserach would mean Kettlebell Swing approaching a Load of close to Body Weight.

On a personal noted, I have worked up to 170 lb Hungarian Core Blaster Swings with 170 lbs X 5 Repetition at a Body Weight of around 192 lbs/87 kgs.

3) Trap Bar Jumps
The Science Side 2: Hex Bar Jumps Vs Olympic Lifts

This study recorded a maximum power output of 5,783.40 watts in the hex bar jump.

Essentially, this makes sense.

That because the Trap Bar Jump is an Olympic Low or High Pull, dependent on the Load.

The Take Home Message

1) Traditional Strength Exercise performed Explosively with Load of 48-62% develop Power.

2) Specific Power Training Movements (Olympic Movements, Kettlebell Swings, and Trap Bar Jumps) elicit and develop an even greater Power Training effect than Traditional Exercises.

For those interested in maximizing Power and/or Speed Training...

PAP, Post Activation Potentiation Training

This method essentially Super Sets a Strength Movement with a Power Movement or a Power and Speed Movement.

The Three PAP Protocols

1) Complex Training

This pairs a Strength Movement that is similar in nature to the Power Movement.

Example

Since I am a Powerlifter, my Strength Movement is a Heavy Partial Good Morning.

My Power Movement is a Olympic High or Low Pull Hang Clean.

2) Contrast Training

The same Movement is used for the Strength Movement and the Power Movement. Perform a fairly Heavy Squat, rest and then perform a the Squat with a Power Training Percentage.

3) French Contrast Training
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE FRENCH CONTRAST TRAINING METHOD

Everything You Need To Know About The French Contrast Training Method - Athlete Academy

The French contrast training method uses 4 exercises done with minimal rest in between to take advantage of P.A.P. Post Activation Potentiation this is essentially like hijacking your nervous system to achieve better power.

The 4 exercises we use all have corresponding points on the force-velocity curve. I’ll briefly describe each point on the force-velocity curve.
1692352450442.png

I had great results with Complex Training.

I now use a modified version of French Contrast Training; performing only three (3) Movements (Strength, Power and Speed).

Great Article

Yes, it was a great article.

The Westside Powerlifting Protocol

The 40-50% of 1 Repetition Max with Traditional Strength Training Exercises (Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift) is what they use.

Research has demonstrated the development of Power in Traditional Strength Training Exercise is approximately 48-62% of 1 Repetition Max.

The Westside uses "Speed Training" to define what is acctually "Power Training" with the Strength Training Movements.

The issue is that the labeling of "Power Training" as "Speed Training" is incorrect. It makes it hard to communicate. What term is then needed for "Speed Training"?

"Speed Training" revolves around loads with Traditional Strength Exercises with load of 10-40%, with 30% being the sweet spot.

Specific Power Training Movements

While performing "Power Training" with Tradition Strength Training Movements is effective, there are more Specific Training Movement that will evoke greater development of Power.

1) Olympic Movements

Research shows that some of, if not, the greatest Power Output is produced by Olympic Lifters with Training Percentages of 70-80% of 1 Repetition Max.

On a side note, Shot Putter throwing the Shot produce approximately the same amount of Power Output as Olympic Lifter.

"A Review of Power Output Studies of Olympic and Powerlifting: Methodology, Performance, Prediction and Evaluation Test"
Dr John Garhammer

During Entire Snatch or Clean Pull Movements:
34.3 w/kg Men
21.8 w/kg Women

Second Pulls:
52.6 w/kg Men
39.2 w/kg Women

Squat and Deadlift:
12 w/kg Men

For female powerlifters, "estimates indicate that the corresponding values
for women are 60-70% as great".

With this basic breakdown in mind, the power output comparisons of a
100-kilo male lifter in the clean, second pull and deadlift would be as follows.

Clean------------3430 watts
Second Pull----5260 watts
Deadlift--------1200 watts

Obviously, there is a huge difference in power outputs. The power output of clean pulls is 2.85 time greater than a deadlift. Second pulls are even higher with power outputs 4.38 times l arger than deadlifts. Garhammer's research showed that even when dropping the training poundage down to lower percentages for Olympic pulls and deadlifts, outputs for Olympic pulls were still almost twice as great.
Soure: The "No Deadlift" Deadlift Program

2) Kettlebell Swings

Research from Dr Bret Contreras demonstrated that Heavy Kettlebell Swing rivaled the Power Output of Olympic Movements...

StyleLoad (lbs)Peak Vertical Force (N)Peak Horizontal Force (N)
Squat Style702,170-2,349166-182
Squat Style1402,431-2,444278-353
Hip Hinge Style701,935-2,140340-402
Hip Hinge Style1402,325-2,550499-520

Science of The Swing

So how does bell size affect power output on the swing? It depends. To a certain extent increasing the bell size can increase power output. The magic number where increasing bell size actually decreases power output is around 30% of our body weight.
Force Production and Body Weight Ratio

View attachment 22304

Recommended Kettlebell Swing Load

Based on the information above, my recommendation is Kettlebell a Swing Load of at least 30% or higher. Higher based on Contreras' reserach would mean Kettlebell Swing approaching a Load of close to Body Weight.

On a personal noted, I have worked up to 170 lb Hungarian Core Blaster Swings with 170 lbs X 5 Repetition at a Body Weight of around 192 lbs/87 kgs.

3) Trap Bar Jumps
The Science Side 2: Hex Bar Jumps Vs Olympic Lifts

This study recorded a maximum power output of 5,783.40 watts in the hex bar jump.

Essentially, this makes sense.

That because the Trap Bar Jump is an Olympic Low or High Pull, dependent on the Load.

The Take Home Message

1) Traditional Strength Exercise performed Explosively with Load of 48-62% develop Power.

2) Specific Power Training Movements (Olympic Movements, Kettlebell Swings, and Trap Bar Jumps) elicit and develop an even greater Power Training effect than Traditional Exercises.

For those interested in maximizing Power and/or Speed Training...

PAP, Post Activation Potentiation Training

This method essentially Super Sets a Strength Movement with a Power Movement or a Power and Speed Movement.

The Three PAP Protocols

1) Complex Training

This pairs a Strength Movement that is similar in nature to the Power Movement.

Example

Since I am a Powerlifter, my Strength Movement is a Heavy Partial Good Morning.

My Power Movement is a Olympic High or Low Pull Hang Clean.

2) Contrast Training

The same Movement is used for the Strength Movement and the Power Movement. Perform a fairly Heavy Squat, rest and then perform a the Squat with a Power Training Percentage.

3) French Contrast Training
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE FRENCH CONTRAST TRAINING METHOD

Everything You Need To Know About The French Contrast Training Method - Athlete Academy

The French contrast training method uses 4 exercises done with minimal rest in between to take advantage of P.A.P. Post Activation Potentiation this is essentially like hijacking your nervous system to achieve better power.

The 4 exercises we use all have corresponding points on the force-velocity curve. I’ll briefly describe each point on the force-velocity curve.
View attachment 22305

I had great results with Complex Training.

I now use a modified version of French Contrast Training; performing only three (3) Movements (Strength, Power and Speed).
You are making me work to ask better questions.

Does this type of power training work with "classic powerlifting cycles" where you calculate your 1rm, then work up to a new 1rm over 8-12 weeks? Or said another way, is the special sauce the pairing of 80%1rm and above sets with power training?

The first few weeks of those cycles the loading is below 80% 1rm and it seems like that threshold is important for pairing with power training.

For example, would this be an appropriate pairing of a "RELOAD cycle" and power/explosive training?

WeekLoad (%1RM)Reps/setPower movement LoadReps/sets
160%5/550%1rm3/2
268%5/550%1rm3/3
373%5/550%1rm3/4
478%5/550%1rm3/5
580%5/550%1rm3/6
685%3/350%1rm3/4
790%2/250%1rm3/2
81rm test

Last edited:
Does this type of power training work with "classic powerlifting cycles" where you calculate your 1rm, then work up to a new 1rm over 8-12 weeks? Or said another way, is the special sauce the pairing of 80%1rm and above sets with power training?
Post Activation Potentiation Training

This pairs a Strength Set with a Power Set. This Sets are alternated.

Building Strength and Power With Complex Training
Feb/2001 Powerlifting USA

Althougth the mechanisms by which complex training works are not well understood, a number of possible factors have been identified. Ebben and Watts identify these factors as follows: neuromuscular, hormonal, metabolic, myogenic and/or psychomotor. These authors do suggest that neuromuscular adaptations seem to best account for the increased performance associated with compelx training. "High-load weight training increase motorneuron excitability and reflex potentiation, which may create optimal training conditions for subsequent plyometric exercise. {Reference: "A Review of Combined Weight Training and Plyometric Training Modes: Complex Training", October 1998 Journal of Strength and Conditioning, Ebben and Watt}

Example
1) Strength Set

2) Rest Period

3) Power Set

4) Rest Period

Repeat that above sequences for a number of sets.

Strength Set

The Strength Set needs to be worked up to a Top Set of around 80% or higher.

The Strength Set needs to be performed with 1-2 Repetition. They need to be fairly easy Repetitions.

If the Training Percentage is too high (if the weight is too heavy) it dampens the amount of Power in the following Power Set. That means in performing the Power Set, you will produce less force than you could have and should have; which is counter productive for Power Development.

Power Set

Power Trainng with Traditional Strength Movements (Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift) is elicited with Training Percentages of 48-62% of 1 Repetition Max.

The Power Set need to be performed with 1-2 Repetition, maybe 3.

Compensatory Acceleration Training, CAT

With both Strength and Power Sets, the "Intent" should be to drive the weight up as hard and fast as possible.

Doing so, innervates and develop the Fast Twith Muscle Fiber.

Squat Example

The "Intent" with CAT in a Squat should be to Jump; perform a Jump Squat. That not going to happen with a load of around 80%.

However, with a Power Set, with let's say 50% of 1 Repetition Max, your feet may leave the floor or you may come up off your heels.

If either of these occurs, it means you have maintained Force Production through the Full Range of the Movement.

The Issue With Power Training With Traditional Strength Movements

This information on the Bench Press applies to Aacending Strength Curve Movements. Movements that are hard at the bottom and eaiser at the top: Squat, Deadlift, Leg Press, etc.

Another obstacle when training for an explosive bench press (even at lower percentages of 1 RM) is the deceleration of the bar during the lift. "Research has shown as much as 75% of a movement can be devoted to slowing the bar down." (Flannagan, 2001).

The National Strength and Conditioning Association's Basic Guidelines for the Resistance Training of Athletes states that "performing speed repetitions as fast as possible with light weights (e.g., 30-45% of 1RM) in exercises in which the bar is held on to and must be decelerated at the end of the joint's range of motion (e.g., bench press) to protect the joint does not produce power or speed training but rather teaches the body how to decelerate, or slow down. {
Source: Plyometric Bench Press Training for More Strength and Power, May/02. Powerlifting USA. Plyometric bench training for 1rm increases}

Solution To The Issue

Attaching Bands and/or Chain (Accommodating Resistance) to the Bar for Power Training with Ascending Strength Curve Movements (Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift) ensures Force Production (Power) is maintaned and developed through the Full Range of the Movement.

For example, would this be an appropriate pairing of a "RELOAD cycle" and power/explosive training?

Post Activation Potentiation Pairings

The Strength Set needs to be performed with a load that is around 80% of 1 Repetition Max. This Strength Set parameter evokes the greater Force Production in the Power Set.

Weeks 1-3: The Loading Percentage is not high enough to elicit greater Force Production in the following Power Set.

Weeks 4-5: The Repetition preferably is 1-2 in a Set.

The objective is to perform a Strength Set that is heavy enough to evoke greater Force Production in the following Power Set rather than the development of Strength.

If you want focus on Strength, perform a Strength Set after completing Post Activation Potentiation Training

160%5/550%1rm3/2
268%5/550%1rm3/3
373%5/550%1rm3/4
478%5/550%1rm3/5
580%5/550%1rm3/6
685%3/350%1rm3/4
790%2/250%1rm3/2
81rm test

Warm Up Power Sets

I am a proponet of starting out with the lowest Power Training Percentage and increasing the percentage (load) each set.

Doing so, allows a lifter perform and develop the Full Range of the "Strength Force Curve" (below): Speed, Speed-Strength, Power and Strength-Speed.

With that said, that is what French Contrast Training is about.

1692438376374.png
TNT Gym Albuquerque

If you are interested in PAP, I could come by David Torrez' TNT Gym and go over it with you. TNT is close to where I live. I drive by it everyday on my way to work and going home.

Just check with David to make sure it's okay.

Althougth the mechanisms by which complex training works are not well understood, a number of possible factors have been identified. Ebben and Watts identify these factors as follows: neuromuscular, hormonal, metabolic, myogenic and/or psychomotor. These authors do suggest that neuromuscular adaptations seem to best account for the increased performance associated with compelx training. "High-load weight training increase motorneuron excitability and reflex potentiation, which may create optimal training conditions for subsequent plyometric exercise. {Reference: "A Review of Combined Weight Training and Plyometric Training Modes: Complex Training", October 1998 Journal of Strength and Conditioning, Ebben and Watt}

Example
1) Strength Set

2) Rest Period

3) Power Set

4) Rest Period

Strength Set

The Strength Set needs to be performed with 1-2 Repetition. They need to be fairly easy Repetitions.

If the Training Percentage is too high (if the weight is too heavy) it dampens the amount of Power in the following Power Set. That means in performing the Power Set, you will produce less force than you could have and should have; which is counter productive for Power Development.

Power Set

Power Trainng with Traditional Strength Movements (Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift) is elicited with Training Percentages of 48-62% of 1 Repetition Max.

With both Strength and Power Sets, the "Intent" should be to drive the weight up as hard and fast as possible.

Squat Example

The "Intent" with CAT in a Squat should be to Jump; perform a Jump Squat. That not going to happen with a load of around 80%.

However, with a Power Set, with let's say 50% of 1 Repetition Max, your feet may leave the floor or you may come up off your heels.

If either of these occurs, it means you have maintained Force Production through the Full Range of the Movement.

This information on the Bench Press applies to Aacending Strength Curve Movements. Movements that are hard at the bottom and eaiser at the top: Squat, Deadlift, Leg Press, etc.

Another obstacle when training for an explosive bench press (even at lower percentages of 1 RM) is the deceleration of the bar during the lift. "Research has shown as much as 75% of a movement can be devoted to slowing the bar down." (Flannagan, 2001).

The National Strength and Conditioning Association's Basic Guidelines for the Resistance Training of Athletes states that "performing speed repetitions as fast as possible with light weights (e.g., 30-45% of 1RM) in exercises in which the bar is held on to and must be decelerated at the end of the joint's range of motion (e.g., bench press) to protect the joint does not produce power or speed training but rather teaches the body how to decelerate, or slow down. {
Source: Plyometric Bench Press Training for More Strength and Power, May/02. Powerlifting USA. Plyometric bench training for 1rm increases}

Solution To The Issue

Attaching Bands and/or Chain (Accommodating Resistance) to the Bar for Power Training with Ascending Strength Curve Movements (Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift) ensures Force Production (Power) is maintaned and developed through the Full Range of the Movement.

The Strength Set needs to be performed with a load that is around 80% of 1 Repetition Max. This Strength Set parameter evokes the greater Force Production in the Power Set.

Weeks 1-3: The Loading Percentage is not high enough to elicit greater Force Production in the following Power Set.

The objective is to perform a Strength Set that is heavy enough to evoke greater Force Production in the following Power Set rather than the development of Strength.

If you want focus on Strength, perform a Strength Set after completing Post Activation Potentiation Training

160%5/550%1rm3/2
268%5/550%1rm3/3
373%5/550%1rm3/4
478%5/550%1rm3/5
580%5/550%1rm3/6
685%3/350%1rm3/4
790%2/250%1rm3/2
81rm test

Warm Up Power Sets

I am a proponet of starting out with the lowest Power Training Percentage and increasing the percentage (load) each set.

Doing so, allows a lifter perform and develop the Full Range of the "Strength Force Curve" (below): Speed, Speed-Strength, Power and Strength-Speed.

View attachment 22315
TNT Gym Albuquerque

If you are interested in PAP, I could come by David Torrez' TNT Gym and go over it with you. TNT is close to where I live. I drive by it everyday on my way to work and going home.

Didnt realize that you live in NM.
I’m from there originally.
Just thought it was cool to see. Sorry for derailing the thread.

Example
1) Strength Set

2) Rest Period

3) Power Set

4) Rest Period

Strength Set

Power Set

Squat Example

Solution To The Issue

160%5/550%1rm3/2
268%5/550%1rm3/3
373%5/550%1rm3/4
478%5/550%1rm3/5
580%5/550%1rm3/6
685%3/350%1rm3/4
790%2/250%1rm3/2
81rm test

Warm Up Power Sets

View attachment 22315
TNT Gym Albuquerque

Thanks that makes a lot of sense on how that should be programmed.

I'll ask him otherwise I'm moving down from the mountain back into the city near there again. So am back in the big city again!

Back
Top Bottom