all posts post new thread

Barbell OHP Issues When I Go Heavy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I tried to google "barbell jerk grip" but only came across "jerk grip width." Is this a particular hand position you're referring to?

Check out how the grip looks in the jerk:

Versus the press:

Look where the bar is in the hands, where the elbows are relative to the barbell. This is what I think of when I read "jerk grip." I'm sure he'll chime in what he means, but typically you don't hold the bar the same for jerks as you do for a press or a bench.

Yep, that's what I mean!

Although my elbows are a bit lower when I'm pressing, but hands stay pretty much the same.

Last edited:
You guys who lift with iron plates inside the house are braver than me.

Bumpers + lifting platform + garage = drop away baby!
Would you say crash pads are an adequate alternative to a lifting platform?
I don't have much head room to play with and would probably have to modify a garage roof truss to accommodate additional floor height.

Would you say crash pads are an adequate alternative to a lifting platform?
I don't have much head room to play with and would probably have to modify a garage roof truss to accommodate additional floor height.

No, I wouldn't.

I wouldn't want to drop a weight from overhead on a crash pad, unless it was pretty light.

If dropping from the waist, it might be adequate.

No, I wouldn't.

I wouldn't want to drop a weight from overhead on a crash pad, unless it was pretty light.

If dropping from the waist, it might be adequate.
OK, I've looked online and a platform appears to consist of metal frame, solid hardwood and rubber. Big investment by the quick search I've done...
What is your definition of pretty light?

I never understood why a weight needs to be dropped? Is it too heavy to lower yourself?
I think you mostly see it with Oly lifters, and really heavy deadlifts. Not using the eccentric phase of the lift reduces soreness/“muscle damage,” allowing for a higher volume of practice at heavier weights, and it can be safer to just drop hundreds of pounds than try to lower it. I’m sure our resident Olympic lifters might have more to add though.

I never understood why a weight needs to be dropped? Is it too heavy to lower yourself?

Yes.

A heavy jerk is usually beyond the capabilities of muscles to support the load. It's all held up by joint lock out.

Also, when you miss a snatch or jerk, it falls.

Or if you have to bail, it falls.

If you watch some weightlifting competitions, it will make sense.

Last edited:
OK, I've looked online and a platform appears to consist of metal frame, solid hardwood and rubber. Big investment by the quick search I've done...

Something that won't damage your floor if dropped from overhead on a crash pad.

This will depend on your floor and how tall you are.

e.g. dropping on a concrete basement floor vs 2nd story hardwood floor in a vintage house, from 8 feet vs 6 feet.

Last edited:
Something that won't damage your floor if dropped from overhead on a crash pad.

This will depend on your floor and how tall you are.

e.g. dropping on a concrete basement floor vs 2nd story hardwood floor in a vintage house, from 8 feet vs 6 feet.
I'm not sure that I'm worried about my floor.
It's the safety I'm most concerned about.
i. e. Being able to bail out

I'm not sure that I'm worried about my floor.
It's the safety I'm most concerned about.
i. e. Being able to bail out

I guess I don't understand the question.

If you don't care about the surroundings or damage to equipment, you can drop a barbell with iron plates onto a marble tile floor from overhead if you need to save yourself.

They aren't as cheap to make as they used to be, but you can make a very nice platform with just plywood and rubber mats. I built one via this guide and it cost a couple hundred bucks. How to Build a Weightlifting Platform

But it was a fun project to do with my dad! Although he insisted on me getting the nice maple plywood for the top layer for aesthetics.

They aren't as cheap to make as they used to be, but you can make a very nice platform with just plywood and rubber mats. I built one via this guide and it cost a couple hundred bucks. How to Build a Weightlifting Platform

But it was a fun project to do with my dad! Although he insisted on me getting the nice maple plywood for the top layer for aesthetics.

Most of the local meets I've been to use a lifting platform built similarly, although sometimes raised a little bit on 2 x 4's.

I've only used fancy Rogue / Eleiko metal-framed platforms at big regional meets.

FWIW, my first lifting platform was DIY as described in the article.

But after a few years of wear and tear, I upgraded to the Rogue 8' x 8', with plywood in the middle.

It doesn't perform any better than the DIY, but the metal seems to be holding up better.

I think you mostly see it with Oly lifters, and really heavy deadlifts. Not using the eccentric phase of the lift reduces soreness/“muscle damage,” allowing for a higher volume of practice at heavier weights, and it can be safer to just drop hundreds of pounds than try to lower it. I’m sure our resident Olympic lifters might have more to add though.

It's mostly about safety.

One of the non-obvious skills you have to learn in weightlifting is being aggressive about ditching a bad lift.

You're more likely to get hurt trying to save a near miss than just bailing on it.

If you're in training, dump it.

In competition, you might take the risk to save a sketchy lift, but if you did that for every dicey lift in training, not only would you increase your risk of injury, but you're also not reinforcing good technique.

Yes, the eccentric / soreness effect is a nice side benefit.

FWIW, on a good lift (i.e. you didn't need to just bail) in competition, you can get the lift DQ'ed if you didn't drop the weights with sufficient guidance (hand held passively on the bar to control bounce) of the drop.

Last edited:
Regarding lifting platform and crash pads, my weird setup has been great for me. The lifting platform is just a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. I have 3/4 inch 2' x 3' rubber pads just placed on either side. There is carpet under it, as it used to be a bedroom and I haven't fully committed to it being a gym. And the Rogue crash pads are some of the best money I've ever spent! Every one of the good lifts went to the crash pads, though I edited most of that out.

Regarding lifting platform and crash pads, my weird setup has been great for me. The lifting platform is just a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. I have 3/4 inch 2' x 3' rubber pads just placed on either side. There is carpet under it, as it used to be a bedroom and I haven't fully committed to it being a gym. And the Rogue crash pads are some of the best money I've ever spent! Every one of the good lifts went to the crash pads, though I edited most of that out.

I'm still jealous of your Roms.

My old Aidpowers are now too narrow for my feet after Covid.

And while my Do-Wins are wider and more comfortable, they look like something from Wish.com

If you have a vid above 185 that would be better since we need to see your technique hold up once load is already challenging...

Although apart from keeping head neutral and seeing if that helps, another thing I'd like to ask is what do you do for warmup etc

@Mark Limbaga

Here is a video of 3 reps at 184 lb. I did these after my squat workout. Let me know what you think. They felt like RPE 7-8. I am very very de-trained right now (mentally and physically)...

@Mark Limbaga

Here is a video of 3 reps at 184 lb. I did these after my squat workout. Let me know what you think. They felt like RPE 7-8. I am very very de-trained right now (mentally and physically)...

Ok I'd like you trying to place the bar a bit higher, near the collarbone and see if you can straighten your wrist a bit more and stack the bar under your elbow

@Mark Limbaga

Thx Mark, I'll take another video in a couple days.

When I keep the bar higher it forces me to lean back a bit more (cause my head gets in the way). Makes the lift easier, actually. I thought it was cheating. I'll try it though and report back.

Ok I'd like you trying to place the bar a bit higher, near the collarbone and see if you can straighten your wrist a bit more and stack the bar under your elbow

I was going to say this.

Get your rack position closer and you'll probably add 5-10 lbs immediately.

Your bar path is deviating from straight vertical and it's sucking force production.

Yes, you'll have to move your head back more, but that's part of the lift. You should be able to do it not just from leaning back, but partially from the hips.

It's hard to tell with the baggy t-shirt and shorts, but I couldn't perceive much pelvic motion.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom