all posts post new thread

Barbell OHP Issues When I Go Heavy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If you have a vid above 185 that would be better since we need to see your technique hold up once load is already challenging...

Although apart from keeping head neutral and seeing if that helps, another thing I'd like to ask is what do you do for warmup etc

OT:

Why are they called Swiss bars?
... I just spent way too long on google patents trying to figure this out. I found a couple that references the swiss bar design but can't find the original swiss barbell patent.

I did find a translated german patent from the 50's that referenced a "swiss bar mixer pattern" which as near as i can tell is referencing a series of parallel bars. I'm going to quit searching and assume the "swiss" in the swiss bar comes from a series of parallel bars in the barbell. The translation is kinda wonky but I think I found another patent referencing swiss cross-design windows which look an awful lot like the handles on a swiss bar too.

So if google's automatic translation of german patents is correct, and I don't believe it is, I think I can safely assume I have no idea.

If you have a vid above 185 that would be better since we need to see your technique hold up once load is already challenging...

Although apart from keeping head neutral and seeing if that helps, another thing I'd like to ask is what do you do for warmup etc

Ok thanks, Ill do another video soon. Are you saying my head position is off? Should I raise or lower my head? I am just staring forward.

Here is my warmup. Takes about 10 min.

Standard Warmup:
(1) Cervical Big 3 (Dr Locke)
(2) T Spine Big 3 (Dr Locke)
(3) Shoulder Big 3 (Dr Locke)
(4) Cat Camels
(5) McGill Big 3
(6) Band pull downs
(7) Snatch grip shoulder rotates (with a band).
(8) Grab a 20 kg KB and do suitcase carries, rack carries, and waiter walks
(9) Specialty: (A) Before squats I do halo's and goblet squats (24 kg bell). (B) Before bench pressing I do halo's (24 kg bell) and pushups. (C) Before deadlifts I do glute bridges (with towel between legs) and 24kg kbell swings (2 hands on 1 bell), shadow swings.

Ok thanks, Ill do another video soon. Are you saying my head position is off? Should I raise or lower my head? I am just staring forward.

Here is my warmup. Takes about 10 min.

Standard Warmup:
(1) Cervical Big 3 (Dr Locke)
(2) T Spine Big 3 (Dr Locke)
(3) Shoulder Big 3 (Dr Locke)
(4) Cat Camels
(5) McGill Big 3
(6) Band pull downs
(7) Snatch grip shoulder rotates (with a band).
(8) Grab a 20 kg KB and do suitcase carries, rack carries, and waiter walks
(9) Specialty: (A) Before squats I do halo's and goblet squats (24 kg bell). (B) Before bench pressing I do halo's (24 kg bell) and pushups. (C) Before deadlifts I do glute bridges (with towel between legs) and 24kg kbell swings (2 hands on 1 bell), shadow swings.
Not saying it's off, it can be better

Fun video to watch in this context:

An interesting moment is when Oleksiy Torokhtiy at about 4:40 presses 100 kg with some effort.

(about a bodyweight press for him)

His best jerk, in comparison, is 229 kg -- pretty common among weightlifters to jerk about 1.5x-2.x of their press.

Klokov's monster 162 kg press is an oddity post 1972.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom