all posts post new thread

OHP Specialization.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Apologies for being behind schedule with my posts. These are the best pictures I could get. So if we use this as a baseline for the aesthetical part of this log.

Will update with videos of lifts when possible.

Attachments

• 20210114_162022.jpg
    20210114_162022.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210113_150338.jpg
    20210113_150338.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 22
No need to apologise. Loving the engagement this has receive thus far.

My phone camera isn't great. Thinking about purchasing a second hand dedicated camera for future logs as I'd like to be more active on the forum. So I'll need something that shows detail to a similar level as the human eye.

Videos of lifts are coming as of next week.

This week thus far:
Monday - 90kg 5RM press
Tuesday - 40kg 10×10 sandbag clean and press
Wednesday - 60kg 5×5 clean and press
Thursday - 30kg 1×12 Arnold press

Some considerations. Attempting a 1RM later in the week last week made me feel very weak. May alternate 5RM and 1RM or move 5RM attempt to later in the week.

In addition the strength "drop off" for the press is fast. What do I mean by that? Strength depreciates much faster than it does for the bench press as is the ability to tolerate as much volume relatively speaking.

Abs are feeling and looking better despite no direct work as I suspected. Doing everything standing or seated without back support has forced the core to constantly be engaged and therefore led to a better aesthetical look.

In addition the strength "drop off" for the press is fast. What do I mean by that? Strength depreciates much faster than it does for the bench press as is the ability to tolerate as much volume relatively speaking.
Some thoughts and observations, as I do overhead work (hspu goal) nearly every day:

Have you read Beyond Bodybuilding? In it, Pavel has a short article about doing overhead presses every day. In the article the scheme is up to three daily sessions, spread over the day, of something like 3 reps for 5 sets. The progression mentioned is to very slowly add weight to the bar (like 1 pound per week). He cites someone who tried to do reps of 7 and got wrecked, but when he dropped to 3 he got stronger. I imagine that for a hypertrophy-focus something in the middle (maybe 5s?) would be optimal.

In my handstand pushup quest I have been doing pike pushup variations for 5 days/week on average and have noticed that indeed my ability to tolerate volume/intensity drops quickly if not managed. However, when I reduced the reps to 3 (or just kept the overall daily volume lower) I found that I was able to make progress. Like you, I also do different variations, but the dosage seems to be really particular. Just some observations.

Swiss bar is being ordered but due to the current situation delivery date cannot be confirmed. A great variation for bench and the press. Using different variations that I can load up will allow me to keep the intensity high and avoid overuse injuries.

Will update as I get more info on the swiss bar.

Due to the nature of work for the latter half of last week until tomorrow I have no access to the gym.

So does this prevent progress? No it does not. Gymnastic rings for pykes, push ups and dips. Is it ideal? No, but we can still get a stimulus on the body to make some progress towards our goals.

Back in the gym on Wednesday. Will update you then.

I often see recommendations for different sessions when the circumstances prevent our usual training. Hotel room workouts, calisthenics, etc. If nothing else, they're exercise, if not training.

However, I've come to consider, that how often would I be better served with extra rest instead.

I often see recommendations for different sessions when the circumstances prevent our usual training. Hotel room workouts, calisthenics, etc. If nothing else, they're exercise, if not training.

However, I've come to consider, that how often would I be better served with extra rest instead.
The balance of stress and rest is very important.

I'm doing a lot of pike push ups at the moment. It isn't the same as a heavy barbell but hopefully it'll slow down the loss in strength. As a lot of the strength gained will be neurological.

Training yesterday. Tried to upload these videos directly but it would not work.

110kg press.

Confirmation of weights on the bar.

Please excuse the unflattering lighting, it is not conducive to achieving that fake natty aesthetics that everyone on social media craves.

Sorry if I misunderstand things, but wouldn't that be a push press?

In any case, nice lift!

What's your PR?
It most certainly was. I had spent a couple of weeks away due to work and the current covid situation here in the UK. So this is where my strength is after the short break from my current programming.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom