all posts post new thread

Barbell Old video of Polish weightlifting team - tell me about GPP!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jozko

Level 6 Valued Member
I find it quite impressive. Esp. the first half of the video (GPP stuff) is relevant for most of training population, not only weightlifters. Those guys were doing human flags and backflips as a part of their assistance training.
Some highlights:
Up/downhill running: around 8:00
Handwalking: 14:48
Backflip: 16:15
Human flag: 20:19

And something weightlifting specific (I don't see this done in current days):
Split style snatch: 52:00

Back in the olden days, weightlifters were often less specialized.

Soviet block lifters often cross trained in wrestling and gymnastics.

American lifters were often also powerlifters (Ken Patera) or bodybuilders (Tommy Kono).

Since then, technique (no more split snatch, and some predict the eventual demise of today's split jerk) and training methods have become much more highly optimized, and cannot be divorced form the rise of pharmacology in training, as well.

The elimination of the press was also a big factor driving specialization.

Last edited:
Since then, technique (no more split snatch, and some predict the eventual demise of today's split jerk) and training methods have become much more highly optimized, and cannot be divorced form the rise of pharmacology in training, as well.

The elimination of the press was also a big factor driving specialization.
I am afraid weightlifting as a sport isn't going in the right direction. It will be quite sad when the only official event where the C&J is practised will be Crossfit games.

But my main point was the variety of movements Polish lifters used in the video. It's so cool that I am going to enrich my movement repertoire.

I am afraid weightlifting as a sport isn't going in the right direction. It will be quite sad when the only official event where the C&J is practised will be Crossfit games.

???

I'm not following you.

Why would C&J stop being practiced at weightlifting meets at official events at the local, regional, and international levels?

???

I'm not following you.

Why would C&J stop being practiced at weightlifting meets at official events at the local, regional, and international levels?
Err, I mean the possible demise of split C&J. Also the high specialization, which is related to elimination of press. And possible delisting of weightlifting from Olympic games in 2028, which they say is related to doping. Of course, nothing prevents organizations from organizing international events. But I believe that the fact it is an Olympic sport makes this more interesting in the eyes of general public. And also young people who choose it as their sport.

Err, I mean the possible demise of split C&J. Also the high specialization, which is related to elimination of press. And possible delisting of weightlifting from Olympic games in 2028, which they say is related to doping. Of course, nothing prevents organizations from organizing international events. But I believe that the fact it is an Olympic sport makes this more interesting in the eyes of general public. And also young people who choose it as their sport.

We'll see how it pans out.

As long as the totalitarian countries keep funding youth development programs in weightlifting, I expect we'll keep seeing young lifters enter the sport.

In many of the power-house weightlifting countries, it's a government job and a ticket out of poverty if you're a poor kid in a developing Eastern Europe, Middle East, Latin American, or Asian country.

I expect it will keep getting funded because, even if it drops out of the Olympics, it's still a pretty cheap way to gain national glory at the Pan-Am games, European championships, etc.

I doubt that will happen. The power jerk or squat jerk has not gained all that much popularity. Even in China, where Liu is a weightlifting god and exclusively does the squat jerk, not many lifters use it.

I'll be curious to see if that changes 10-15 years from now if they start training 10 year olds to start squat jerking from the beginning.

And possible delisting of weightlifting from Olympic games in 2028, which they say is related to doping.
Can't wait to see if all the record are break after it being dropped from Olympic and weightlifters starts to use more enhance drug

Can't wait to see if all the record are break after it being dropped from Olympic and weightlifters starts to use more enhance drug

Yeah, that will be interesting.

Everyone is still doping even now (as they do in most elite / Olympic sports), but it seems to be some kind of pharmacology that is less intense than it was circa 2016.

I've heard the new doping mantra (for any elite sport) now is "lower and slower", i.e. lower doses, over a longer period of time.

Yeah, that will be interesting.

Everyone is still doping even now (as they do in most elite / Olympic sports), but it seems to be some kind of pharmacology that is less intense than it was circa 2016.

I've heard the new doping mantra (for any elite sport) now is "lower and slower", i.e. lower doses, over a longer period of time.
Is there an oly lifting organization like the USPA in powerlifting? Where they just don’t test.

like the USPA in powerlifting? Where they just don’t test.
USPA is far from the only organization that doesn't test, and the USPA and at least one other fed I can think have maintain two divisions, one tested and one not. USPA is pretty clear - there are, e.g., "championships" and "drug-tested championships," separate things, same with records. The other fed - can't recall which one at the moment calls the non-tested division "Professional" and the test division "Amateur," which I found amusing.

-S-

USPA is far from the only organization that doesn't test, and the USPA and at least one other fed I can think have maintain two divisions, one tested and one not. USPA is pretty clear - there are, e.g., "championships" and "drug-tested championships," separate things, same with records. The other fed - can't recall which one at the moment calls the non-tested division "Professional" and the test division "Amateur," which I found amusing.

-S-

If my local Crossfit boxes are any indication, there are plenty of amateurs sucking down SARMs bought off the internet.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom