all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pavel and Joe Rogan

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
”Don’t eat chicken, it’s a weak bird!” ;)

”Lift fast or heavy, there is no third option.”
Hahaha. The diet part was really funny!

For me, it is also training the heart. I do swings and get-ups but will add running to my routine. I train mainly for health and longevity.

Chronological age is not important. Its how you feel. My teacher, Lars-Eric Uneståhl, the founder of mental trainer has used hypnosis and locked his age at 37. So he believes in his core that he is 37. Chronological he is 80. He is more active than ever and travels the world teaching his method.

Sure I agree, but there are people that believe that age is important, and some in their 50's is 'out of touch'.

I'm just relating to what Pavel said/implied in the podcast, I'm not giving any judgements about age.

I was disappointed by it tbh, not sure what i expected but most of what he was talking about just went way over my head and lost interest

would rather trust a 33 year old 'kettlebell flow' instagram star than a 50 year old.

Meant to say similar.
It's a personal thing to reveal age.
I've noticed a change in how people respond and act towards me the last couple of years. Young people asking me at check outs if I need help with my bags, that sort of thing. Maybe a tad sensitive on my part, might just be customer relations but since I became aware of this I've conducted some research whilst queuing up and there is definitely a swing towards ageism. I wouldn't mind if the young person looked athletic themselves but they're usually sat on their arse, 6 stone overweight with postural issues. Then I think 'maybe I do look old'.....and there is the self fulfilling prophecy of an ageist society and behaviour change resulting from stereotype. As there is me imposing a stereotype of size and appearance of youth. There is an expectation that you should behave a certain way accordingly and with age, being athletically strong and able rubs up against the norm. Stereotypes are so pervasive that that is what people see, both the observer and the observed then conform. Because, in my field observational data gathering, they don't offer such to people younger looking than me.
There are degrees of this, levels, obviously.
'You're pretty fit....for an old guy' is either complementary or insulting, depending on how you frame it.
'Would you like help carrying your bags, sir?'....is a phrase I'm only going to hear more of.
My next research project is in the summer when I plan to run a similar project. This time I'll wear a tight sleeveless top to control a variable and see what happens.
Joe Rogan mentions Clarence Bass....grandad face with a body of a 20 year old athlete.
The assumption here is that without the reveal of ripped abs he would be just a grandad. That common view is why the older generation impose a set of values on themselves and accept their place in society. Bass, the exception, obviously.
It's not wrong or right, it just is but I cant help feeling that feeling old is the precursor to actually being old.
Of course, ravishing physical decay is a threat but it needn't be. It's sort of a cognitive behavioural therapy....think old, you will be. Upto a point, clearly. It's when this process starts or when you think it starts or when society thinks it should start.
Saying '20' as your age does have a jedi mind trick affect on you.
Compared to, 'well I'm 55 now and the old legs are packing in'.
Maybe it doesn't, who knows.

I've noticed a change in how people respond and act towards me the last couple of years. Young people asking me at check outs if I need help with my bags, that sort of thing.
I think mobility and posture have a lot to do with this. I know nothing of yours, but I'll be 65 in a few months and no one treats me like I'm old. I couldn't say why with any certainty, but I think it has to do with the fact that I don't look "stiffened up" to most people.

-S-

My posture is solid too! It's my few remaining grey hairs on my bonce. My grey facial hair when needing a shave. Wearing a hat after a morning shave is my anti ageing protocol.

We are starting a bit of a thread drift...

Age is just a number as they say, but when my hairline began to recede in my late 20s it didn't really bother me. When it started going gray in my 30s I declared war, and the razor won. The shaved head is popular enough that no one assumes I am really bald and gray. Young guys at the gym do call me "sir", however instead of 'bro'.

There’s an interesting documentary on the making of the Irishman. Scorsese explains that in top of digital effects there was a lot of work done on posture and how the actors moved. In one scene they had to call 49 to Al Pacino (whose in his 70’)to get him to get out of the chair more forcefully. In saying they there are scenes particularly with De Niro where you can his age inspire if the digital effects. In fairness to Pavel he looks in good nick whatever his age.

Don't step over the barbell.

I'll have to remember that from now on. I don't want one of the many Russians in my area to beat me up.

I thought the diet discussion was lame and way too long. Except for the chicken part, which was funny. Though probably for different reasons to me that the rest of you.

I thought the diet discussion was lame and way too long. Except for the chicken part, which was funny.
I agree. The whole vegetable thing was strange. I did enjoy how he mentioned Ori Hofmekler. A man often overlooked and deserving of credit.

I think mobility and posture have a lot to do with this. I know nothing of yours, but I'll be 65 in a few months and no one treats me like I'm old. I couldn't say why with any certainty, but I think it has to do with the fact that I don't look "stiffened up" to most people.

-S-

Wow, 65?? Time flies. You are an inspiration!!!

I thought it was really good. Really good. Great overview of stripped down strength training philosophies. Joe facilitated explanations if needed but let the flow of info run. Nutrition? Yeah, well, you know, it's all bollocks really ....was what I think he would say over a pint. And sleep is really important. Focus on the basics, focus some more, the rest? Well, unless you are a high achieving athlete, forget it. Train, eat, sleep. From the guy. As it is. A little bit of discomforting cold and heat should you choose a side dish. Simple holism, expressed beautifully. So much so that Joe was overawed, it seemed, by Pavel's exquisite disassembly of the complex into basic phaff free chunks. Heavy or fast, bit of cardio, sleep. That's that.
Yes, preaching to the choir here certainly but preached in such a way that was not forced, affected or contrived in anyway whatsoever.
That's very rare these days. And very welcomed. Thank you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom