all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pavel and Joe Rogan

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The US guidelines are 150 to 300 minutes of moderate aerobic activity per week plus two strength training sessions. See here:

Current Guidelines - health.gov

I think most here would flip the strength and aerobic volume :D

Here's another handier reference (I wonder why two sites?)

Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans

The guidelines are very good for health... And they're not exactly minimal. Many of us who train fairly hard and consistently don't even meet the minimum activity guidelines if we're sedentary the rest of the time.

The gov definition of moderate aerobic is pretty mellow. If you've got a dog, you should have much of it covered.

Hello,

As a disclaimer, my post will be a little out of the original post and a little out of the thread as well.

I think we have to make a difference between performance and just overall health & well-being. The former is not necessarily long-haul and health oriented. The latter is.

Then, depending on how we want to train and the time we decide to dedicate to train, we may decide to go for some kind of minimum dose:
How To Look Good Naked And Live A Long Time. - Ben Greenfield Fitness - Diet, Fat Loss and Performance Advice

This may be another approach than the SF approved strategy.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Would S&S classify as moderate aerobic activity?

Relative to the "Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans", you mean? I would call it moderate intensity aerobic activity, but I would only count an S&S session as 30 minutes. Extensive rest periods may be good for practice, but they don't "count" as physical activity after a certain point, IMO.

It also counts as "muscle-strengthening activities of moderate or greater intensity and that involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week".

Two birds with one stone. :)

Relative to the "Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans", you mean? I would call it moderate intensity aerobic activity, but I would only count an S&S session as 30 minutes. Extensive rest periods may be good for practice, but they don't "count" as physical activity after a certain point, IMO.

It also counts as "muscle-strengthening activities of moderate or greater intensity and that involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week".

Two birds with one stone. :)

another reason to do S&S and if each session counts as 30 min, S&S 5 times per week hits the spot of 150 min! :)

I've read a few articles by Pavel and Easy Strength with Pavel and Dan John but other than that I'm not too ingrained with his philosophies. I listened to this interview and I was very intrigued with the Russian Variable Overload system. He explains the big picture but doesn't give any insight on what drives the decision making with the programming. I get that every day the intensity and volume changes but not the methodology behind it. Can anyone tell me a book or an article of his that would help me learn more about this specific philosophy?

Other replies are good. Definitely read The System (recent textbook), which has the clearest explanation of how to actually program in this way. Also an article by Pavel in Milo called “ladders reloaded,” which you can but for $10 or so.

Pavel’s quote about how kettlebells work muscles without breaking them has been resonating with me. Some activities (being a competitor in a pro boxing fight or MMA competition, running a marathon distance, doing body building, etc.) can actively cause harm that one needs time to recover from before they can do it again. But there are some activities that one can thrive on with appropriately sized doses on a regular basis.

Other replies are good. Definitely read The System (recent textbook), which has the clearest explanation of how to actually program in this way. Also an article by Pavel in Milo called “ladders reloaded,” which you can but for $10 or so.
Can you send us a link to The System? Due to the generic title it’s hard to track it in the internet. Thanks!

I've not read the book but this was featured on a scott rdella podcast a while back.

Johnny Parker – How To Apply Soviet Periodization With The System

Scroll down towards the bottom to see the percentages of weekly/monthly varied volume that was discussed. Those percentages are discussed on the various strong endurance blog articles by Pavel too with more similarities than differences.
I don't know the details of the book obviously but listening to the author was very interesting, another insight into Russian methods discussed in a similar but different way to Pavel's distillation of the same methods. At least that's how I perceived it as a snapshot, listening to and looking at the limited material from the book. Looks like a worthy addition to any bookcase....

Hello,

In the podcast, Pavel says he does swings and dips. Swings in S&S style.

But what about the dips ? What would be the set / rep ? (I ask because I do not remember if he says it or not)

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

But what about the dips ? What would be the set / rep ? (I ask because I do not remember if he says it or not)

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'
Based on what he wrote in Q&D, I assume he does a swing+dip protocol similar to swing+push-ups (varied series of 4 sets of 5 on :30 or 2 sets of 10 on the minute). He mentioned dips are not for everyone and not for beginners.

Hello,

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'
In Strong Endurance 033 which is what Q&D is based on, and what I believe Pavel was referring to, the push-up and dip rep schemes are the same. So basically substitute dips instead of push-ups (same scheme).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom