all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Perceived level of exertion...not feeling like I'm doing enough?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

S&S allows me to be more spontaneous with my outdoor sports knowing
S&S fits pretty well with outdoor activities. I hike a lot, and I also swim. With this kind of practice, you never have to be worried about your potential other physical activities (meaning life). You are permanently fresh and "operational".

As long as you mainly have S&S as conditioning / strength training, there is almost no rest management. 2 or 3 days a week of active recovery and that is almost all we have to know.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

S&S fits pretty well with outdoor activities. I hike a lot, and I also swim. With this kind of practice, you never have to be worried about your potential other physical activities (meaning life). You are permanently fresh and "operational".

As long as you mainly have S&S as conditioning / strength training, there is almost no rest management. 2 or 3 days a week of active recovery and that is almost all we have to know.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I am 6 weeks in and very pleased. I can do S&S in the morning, ski and wake up the next day and do it again. Thanks for all the guidance.

Hello,

@m_harv_colorado
You are welcome. I am glad it works well. That is a kind of magic with S&S. It maintains you fresh while making you stronger. A session always gives you more than it takes from you. I am always surprised that even if I have to do some heavy DIY (chopping wood or whatever), I can still hit my S&S training and do the job.

Kind regards,

Pet'

To add to what has been said.

Coach Sommer (from GST) said in a podcast that no matter what you can do today it won't replace all the upcoming in training sessions in the next week or two.
In other words when people rip open their hands from snatches they cannot train for two weeks.

Pavel noted elsewhere that the expression to work out exist only in English, but not in Russian. It is either training session or even a lesson. Both are useful ways to look at training at large.

That being said it is all easier said than done. Patience is really hard and a community or a coach can help a lot.

Two tips from the forum that helped me are the usage of a heart rate monitor to guide my rest and to not time myself. Both helps me not to rush, because otherwise I'll try to improve my time no matter whether I have a good day or not.

I wish you good luck with your training. May it enrich your life.

Sounds like you are doing much better in your training. My advice take the StrongFirst Kettlebell Course first chance you get. Form is strength. Find an SFG coach even if it is a long drive for instruction at least once or twice a month. Second best do some online training with an SFG certified instructor. Then you will be set to train and get very strong and conditioned. Welcome to the SFG it is a great path.

Hi everybody, I have a question in line with the "perceived level of exertion. ..", also related with the MAF formula discussed in other threads.

So, I've been doing S&S for 1 month now. I'm working with the 16 and can easily do it in 16 minutes if I want, but haven't started with the 24 yet as I want to improve my technique and really own the 16.

On a normal day i do the swings EMOM, so the 10x10 takes me about 9:20. I'm 33 so my MAF is 147. The thing is that my heart rate is peaking at about 132, maybe up to 140 rarely, way below my MAF of 147. So my question is: I'm I getting the conditioning benefits of the program working at this low heart rate? Should I start compressing the times to get closer to 147, or start including the 24 bell for some sets to increase hr?

To be honest, I also haven't added the 24 bell as I feel slightly tired/sore the next day working with the 16, so I prefer not to upgrade to the 24 until I can "do it every day with the same level of energy" with the 16. I'm doing the program about 5 times a week now.

HI @Oscar

Sounds like your times and HR are within reason. I'd recommend focusing on the swing development and don't worry too much about those variables. Work your way up to solid 1H swings w/ 24kg by using the 24kg kettlebell deadlift for tension and movement pattern, the 2H 24kg swing for power development, and 16kg 1H swing for all other technique points. Maybe mixing these on some days for some or all sets on some days will reduce your fatigue and soreness. I think this will help your progress.

Great @Anna C , those are good ideas. Until now, as I dont have a lighter bell than the 16, when I want to take a light day I do 6 sets of swings and 6 GU instead of 10 and 10, or maybe 8+8. But maybe I can start Completing the 10 sets with deadlifts with the 24, or 2 HS. About the HR, I guess it will start going up as soon as I start swinging the 24, so no need for me to rush. Thanks!

Hello,

Changing the speed of the GU can also make it more or less harder and virtually heavier. The slower you go, the heavier it gets.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Oscar, swing harder and your heart rate will go up!

All kidding aside, you could also play with the protocol as you get ready for a heavier weight, but I think I'd first try a "test" where you wouldn't stay under your MAF heart rate but would try to get all 100 swings done in 5 minutes, as the book suggest. If you can do that, then it's time to ready yourself to move on, either by changing what you do with the 16 or simply by starting work the 24 into your sessions.

-S-

Sounds like you are doing much better in your training. My advice take the StrongFirst Kettlebell Course first chance you get. Form is strength. Find an SFG coach even if it is a long drive for instruction at least once or twice a month. Second best do some online training with an SFG certified instructor. Then you will be set to train and get very strong and conditioned. Welcome to the SFG it is a great path.

Been working with a StrongFirst instructor once a week, even got my 15 year old son in there with me. Its been a great addition to my training. Very different approach to the past 4 years of grinding through tons of reps to exhaustion.

@Steve Freides Yes, I think its time to test the swings in 5 min and move up to the 24, at least start adding sets slowly as the book suggests. Ive been a bit reluctant to do so because Im feeling great improvements just by using the 16. In particular, I used to have patellar tendon pain and since Im doing the program the pain went away almost completely. Also, I usually do my sessions in the morning, and I always have enough energy to practice any other sport or activity I want in the afternoon, which is great. As @m_harv_colorado said, when I practiced crossfit I was left exhaused for that day, so I had to choose between training and my other sports or activities. Now I can just do my S&S and then continue with my life and do whatever I want!

@Oscar, no worries about moving up to a heavier weight, and let common sense prevail - add it in gradually and with no "supposed to be" about reps, sets, rests, etc. If you pick up the 24 and feel like 1 good swing is all you have, just do that and do the rest with the lighter weight - you'll get used to the 24 over time.

-S-

Hello,

@Oscar
What @Steve Freides just said is very wise (once again !).

You can spread this principal for all the moves : the more you rush, the less you progress, because technique is not as good as it has to be.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom