all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Picking the right Martial Art

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

moustaid7

Level 2 Valued Member
@Pavel Macek I need your help. I am 34 years old, started kettlebell last year and StrongFirst became part of my life since then. I am following S&S and now just introduced 32kg to reach Simple milestone. I was always interested in practicing a martial art, and was torn between Karaté, Judo, BJJ and Taekwondoo. My goal is not to compete but to get committed in a self defense community and get/maintain mobility, strength and logetivity. I am 1m90 and weighs around 78kgs (so relatively ectomorph). In my whole life I mostly ran 8km to 16km with a couple of semi marathons, and done few occasional Karaté, Aikido and Taekwondo trainings (no serious commitment). My heart says Judo is my thing but reading in the forums, BJJ is gaining some interest in me. I also reduced much my running distance and frequency due to noticed loss of muscle mass and conflicting goals with S&S. Sorry for the long message. Karim

I'm not Pavel, but hopefully you don't mind my opinion.

If you want to do Judo, do Judo. I love judo and think it's a great martial art... but it does have a tremendous learning curve that arts like boxing, wrestling and BJJ do not. BJJ is a great choice and if your school has takedown classes you'll get the best of Judo and BJJ.

Since you don't want to compete and will probably never have to use your martial arts in a self-defense situation (unless you're a jerk, a cop or a bouncer), the best advice is to try various martial arts and see which one you like the most. Some martial arts are more effective than others and some are quicker to advance than others, but really it comes down to which one will you enjoy doing for many, many years.

Judo is a fantastic martial art and, if it really appeals to you, give it a try.

I would second Judo as a good Martial Art, it's what I started with nearly 40 years ago. Depending on where you are based, you could look for Japanese Jiu Jitsu - which is what I do. It can be practical from day one.
Most BJJ starts on the ground, unless you can find a Gracie Ju Jitsu club that teaches some of the self-defence missing from most BJJ.
Good luck in the hunt

I’m obviously a bit biased here, but I think any grappling art, and preferably BJJ, are the best way to go if you are going to pick just one. They are not for everyone as some people get freaked out about wrestling other sweaty people, but if that doesn’t bother you there’s nothing that covers as many aspects of physical and mental training as grappling. Learning to move both yourself and someone resisting, teaches you so much and requires a ton of brain power and physical awareness. In addition, you can spar full speed as often as you can handle, which is something you simply can’t do all the time in striking arts.

Whats a good option in your area? Most don't have access to equally good options. I studies Escrima/Kali for years but got time in silat, muy thai, aidido, wing chun & others. So many good options so find a quality instructor & community.

I'm not Pavel, but hopefully you don't mind my opinion.
Absolutely not, and I apologize to you and to all the people present in the forum. I mentioned Pavel, not for disrespect to you guys or you are lacking answers, but because he is the first one who came to my mind (I’m quite actively following him on social media). I’m already getting some fantastic views on my query.

Whats a good option in your area? Most don't have access to equally good options. I studies Escrima/Kali for years but got time in silat, muy thai, aidido, wing chun & others. So many good options so find a quality instructor & community.
This is a factor that I definitely overlooked. What is available in your area. Good shout Nate.

I’ve done Karate, wing chun, JKD and all the concept arts that go with that and now at 42 years old, every Thursday and Saturday I regret not having walked into a judo class when I began martial arts at 7 years old. Man is a grappler so I would say any proper grappling style is just going to tap into something ancient in us. Grappling fitness is other worldly. I’m only a yellow belt and I get whooped and rag dolled and choked relentlessly but it’s all good.

@Pavel Macek I need your help. I am 34 years old, started kettlebell last year and StrongFirst became part of my life since then. I am following S&S and now just introduced 32kg to reach Simple milestone. I was always interested in practicing a martial art, and was torn between Karaté, Judo, BJJ and Taekwondoo. My goal is not to compete but to get committed in a self defense community and get/maintain mobility, strength and logetivity. I am 1m90 and weighs around 78kgs (so relatively ectomorph). In my whole life I mostly ran 8km to 16km with a couple of semi marathons, and done few occasional Karaté, Aikido and Taekwondo trainings (no serious commitment). My heart says Judo is my thing but reading in the forums, BJJ is gaining some interest in me. I also reduced much my running distance and frequency due to noticed loss of muscle mass and conflicting goals with S&S. Sorry for the long message. Karim
My recommendation is a good MMA club.

I second @Pavel Macek recommendation for an MMA gym. You’ll get functional basics of BJJ, Wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai, along with a special understanding of how to properly combine them.

A good experience over the course of a weekend would be to see if you can find Craig Douglas teaching ECQC(if you spend time in the US) or EWO (if you spend time OCONUS). He does a fantastic job of condensing wrestling hand fighting and the basics of boxing and how they should be used in a self defense environment. You are then tested against your classmates full contact. It’s the best start IMO, and a fantastic annual audit of your skills. It’ll influence what direction you take your training.

The thing with training them individually is there really isn’t a perfect fit for self defense. You need to be able to get up from the ground, clinch and control limbs, and deal with strikes. BJJ gets some parts, Wrestling gets other parts, boxing gets others.

There is also the matter of speed to proficiency. BJJ will take 6 months before you feel like you know what you are doing (mid white belt). Judo will take at least that long if not longer (Green-Blue belt range). Boxing will take 3-6 months. You’ll still be getting handled by experienced guys, but you’ll notice the difference against new guys who come in off the street even if they are a bit bigger or stronger than you. I have been training all three for 6+ years for BJJ and Judo (simultaneously with more focus on BJJ than judo) and 5 years off and on for boxing, and I still have trouble getting clean takedowns against guys my own level.

As to other arts (Krav Maga, Systema, Aikido, etc): I would avoid them until you have a solid foundation in boxing, Wrestling, AND BJJ. I personally find absolutely zero value in them, but I know guys who I respect who don’t share my opinion, so I’ll say sprinkle them in when you are a few years into your journey if you still have interest.

My advice is simple: do whatever you like most. Do not go down the rabbit hole, chasing the perfect self-defense oriented discipline, because if you don’t enjoy the training process you will end up quitting sooner or later.

One caveat, though: if self-defense is a main concern, whatever you end up choosing, make sure there’s some live sparring at least occassionally. Do not trust those disciplines/schools that avoid fighting against a resisting opponent because their techniques are way too dangerous.

Judo is fantastic (over two decades of practice make me think so), but maybe BJJ is more… “gentle” for older folks. You can’t go wrong either way.

I live in Antwerp Belgium. Since it’s n important city in this country, I should be able to find options for everything.
Thank you all. You guys are amazing. Glad to be part of this community.

I’m with @Alan Mackey - do whatever you enjoy the most!

Just be aware going in that there’s a very big difference in actual effectiveness in a real fight between martial arts that have inherent limitations (just punches, just kickboxing, just wrestling, just ground) vs. those that cover it all.

There’s an even bigger difference between arts that don’t train with aliveness against a resisting opponent, and the approaches that do.

It all depends on your goals. You can find value in the practice either way so long as you are internally consistent with why you are doing it.

(What I don’t recommend is training anything other than MMA and believing it’ll more effective than MMA training would be though!)

I’d like to add that the teacher and the way it’s trained are all important. If the training is good and teaches you to be effective it almost doesn’t matter which style it is.

I love the traditional arts but have been frequently disappointed in the classes I’ve attended.

I live in Antwerp Belgium. Since it’s n important city in this country, I should be able to find options for everything.
Thank you all. You guys are amazing. Glad to be part of this community.
I have two very good friends in Antwerp running dojos. One is kyukoshinken karate, shugia jutsu, aiki jutsu and toyama battodo, the other does tai jutsu, aikijutsu and self-defence stuff. Send me a PM if you want their details :)

I love judo and think it's a great martial art... but it does have a tremendous learning curve that arts like boxing, wrestling and BJJ do not.
Could you please clarify in which way you think Judo has "a tremendous learning curve that arts like boxing, wrestling and BJJ do not"? I mean, boxing has an extremely limited set of techniques, and BJJ is probably the disciple that is currently diversifying the most, so I find that hard to compare. The main difference I can see between wrestling and Judo is the curriculum - while in Judo you'll learn the techniques of the Gokyo etc. on your way to black belt, wrestling has no similar standard set of techniques, it will depend from school to school. On the other hand, the number of total technique variations in wrestling is much (!) larger, estimates vary between 300 and 1000, depending on who you ask. In both Judo and wrestling, players will however only focus on a handful of techniques in their active competition repertoire ("tokui-waza" in Judo, while my Dagestani wrestling coach calls it коронка or "crown"). I'm therefore not really sure what you mean.

I was always interested in practicing a martial art, and was torn between Karaté, Judo, BJJ and Taekwondoo. My goal is not to compete but to get committed in a self defense community and get/maintain mobility, strength and logetivity. I am 1m90 and weighs around 78kgs (so relatively ectomorph). In my whole life I mostly ran 8km to 16km with a couple of semi marathons, and done few occasional Karaté, Aikido and Taekwondo trainings (no serious commitment). My heart says Judo is my thing but reading in the forums, BJJ is gaining some interest in me.
My two cents: first of all, self defense is a fairly specific topic, and you will likely not learn the thing I would consider to be the most essential in self defense (situational awareness) in any of the disciplines you mentioned. Judo and Taekwondo these days tend to mostly (if not completely) neglect the self-defense aspect in training, so please bear that in mind. With Karate, it will depend mostly on the school, but in general, that's not the direction I would first point you to in that regard either. With BJJ, it will also depend: while self defense is adressed specifically in some schools, in others it isn't. You will likely not learn good striking in BJJ, good takedowns are also a rarity there (at least from my point of view - my background being freestyle and Greco wrestling as well as Sambo with a bit of cross-training in Judo on the side; I have coached some BJJ players up to black belt in takedowns, and I was usually shocked by how bad they were at that). On the other hand, what both Judo and BJJ have going for them is teaching you to deal with a resisting opponent in close contact.
When it comes to longevity, it also depends - Judo and BJJ have much (!) higher injury rates in my experience than something like Karate and Taekwondo. I do think BJJ is easier to start in your 30ies compared to Judo, though, and you may be able to keep at it longer.
Mobility will be an aspect mostly up to you, in terms of strength and cardio you'll likely benefit the most from Judo, since the pace is the highest among the styles you listed.
If you ask me, I'd recommend rethinking your priorities first: if self-defense is the most important to you, I'd recommend a different route entirely and either enrolling in a system specifically geared towards that (e.g. Krav Maga) or doing your own reasearch about awareness etc. (reading recommendation for starters: everything written by Rory Miller); in terms of learning how to fight quickly by doing a combat sport, personally I think boxing has the steepest learning curve at the beginning, and a year or so of boxing will likely make the biggest difference in how well you can handle yourself physically. You'll likely be hitting quite a bit harder and more effectively than with either Karate or Taekwondo in the same time frame. Boxing also places a great emphasis on distance management, timing, avoiding a strike etc., aspects where I think both karate and Taekwondo are often lacking a bit. From there, you could add a grappling art of your choice, basically creating your own version of Krav Maga (which, incidentially, was founded by a guy who was both a successful boxer and a successful wrestler) or moving on to a different system like Silat etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom