all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance Plan 060

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Taylor Rimmer

Level 4 Valued Member
I started 060 a couple of weeks ago—it's great. I can tell that this type of plan is what's been missing from my training, and I intend to stay on it all the way through!

One small difficulty I find is in using the talk test, as there's hardly enough time to say the pledge of allegiance in between sets of snatches ?

So I'm curious what you all think about tweaking the instructions to use a heart rate monitor, like this:
  • Do 5 snatches every thirty seconds, switching hands each set.
  • When your heart rate hits 85%, stop the session.
  • If you failed to make it to 20 minutes, the weight is too heavy—try again in a few days with a lighter weight.
  • If you made it to 20-39 minutes, the weight is correct.
  • When you can hit 40 minutes without your heart rate rising to 85%, move to phase 2.
So basically the same instructions as the manual, but sub "85% heart rate" for failing the talk test. I've found that people will listen to a monitor more than they will listen to a talk test.

Thoughts? @Derek Toshner

Last edited:
Hey Taylor,
I think that could work. Generally the “talk-test” on this is being able to carry on a conversation with someone, talking, listening, taking, rather than being able to recite something long. I think of it as a jog pace. In doing this, the intensity of the snatches is lower (think 30%, 60%, 90% drill, and never hit the 90%). Other stop signs to be aware of are loss of biomechanical breathing match, loss of power, and keeping ‘the burn’ to a minimum. Curious to hear how your 85% MHR does in relation to all of these—keep us posted!

Hey Taylor,
I think that could work. Generally the “talk-test” on this is being able to carry on a conversation with someone, talking, listening, taking, rather than being able to recite something long. I think of it as a jog pace. In doing this, the intensity of the snatches is lower (think 30%, 60%, 90% drill, and never hit the 90%). Other stop signs to be aware of are loss of biomechanical breathing match, loss of power, and keeping ‘the burn’ to a minimum. Curious to hear how your 85% MHR does in relation to all of these—keep us posted!
Thank you! That’s well said. The jog pace / talk test / etc idea works well for me, but I’ve had so many students who will just blow right by that if I’m not present, so I like to give a heart rate range when I can for conditioning. I’ll let you know what I come up with.

This is going great so far. For me the 85% threshold is perfect, but I see that it could vary person-to-person, so it could make sense to do a test to determine the threshold.

Once I started using the HR monitor, I immediately had to drop to 12kg, because I passed the threshold at ~15 minutes. I don't know if I've ever even used a 12 for snatches before, haha! I can reliably hit 40 minutes @ 12kg, so I'm about to move to phase 2. It's a super pleasant, trance-like training session that I am really enjoying. I can focus on little details that I probably should have focused on a long time ago—when my arm disconnect/reconnects to the body during the movement, catching the KB with my fingers instead of with my hand skin, taming the arc really well, etc.

Could anyone comment on the preferred order of plans if I wanted to take my sweet time toward building snatch strength endurance over time? I was thinking this:
  • 060 until completed @ 16kg.
  • 024 @ 20kg
  • 044 @ 24kg
  • 524A
  • 523A
Thanks for any input!

I'm wondering if the plan 060 could be applied to Swings, or some BW exercises?
I think you could apply the same principles to lots of exercises, but they need to be easy enough that you could do hundreds of reps while staying aerobic. Would definitely work with light swings.

Finished Phase 1. Went very well. I stuck with the heart rate parameters I mentioned above and it worked great. For the first couple of weeks I had sessions that ended short of 40 minutes, and by weeks 3/4 I was hitting 40 minutes every time while staying below 85% MHR. I made sure to do several sessions like this before I moved to Phase 2. The last 40-minute session never even got above 72%.

Did the first session of Phase 2 today, and my heart rate hit 85% at like 5 minutes in, haha! So I have a new questions:
  • Is there anything to be said for keeping the intervals the same (30 seconds), and adding 1 rep once you can reliably make it to 40 minutes without surpassing the heart rate cutoff? This would make a more gradual decrease of the rest time, and if you went 5>>6>>7>>8>>9>>10 reps, you would still end at the 2:1 work:rest ratio that is recommended for this template.
  • OR, should I be okay with super short sessions at the beginning of phase 2 and just let it progress from there?
Thanks in advance everyone!

@Derek Toshner

Last edited:
I feel like a total noob for even asking this, but can you give an explanation of plan 060 and the phases of it? Or provide a link? Thanks!

I feel like a total noob for even asking this, but can you give an explanation of plan 060 and the phases of it? Or provide a link? Thanks!
It is in the Strong Endurance manual. @Steve Freides can I talk about the details of the plan here? I wasn't sure if, with the new forum reorganization, this is still a thread for Strong Endurance attendees only?

@Facher you can get a decent idea of how I have interpreted the plan based on my posts above. It's a light-weight aerobic snatch plan. I love it so far—pairs well with a strength program as long as you are not doing a ton of deadlifts.

@Taylor Rimmer and everyone else, this is a commonly asked question - here is our policy:

We ask that you don't copy parts of the manual and post them here. That means don't photocopy but it also means don't do what amounts to the same thing and type out an entire program or long portion of the manual. We want attendees to be able to discuss, and you can certainly talk about the kinds of concepts you've learned from Strong Endurance. Exactly where to draw the line? Tough call for you, equally tough call for me.

@Facher, sign up for Strong Endurance - problem solved! :)

Hope this is helpful to you.

-S-

@Taylor Rimmer and everyone else, this is a commonly asked question - here is our policy:

We ask that you don't copy parts of the manual and post them here. That means don't photocopy but it also means don't do what amounts to the same thing and type out an entire program or long portion of the manual. We want attendees to be able to discuss, and you can certainly talk about the kinds of concepts you've learned from Strong Endurance. Exactly where to draw the line? Tough call for you, equally tough call for me.

@Facher, sign up for Strong Endurance - problem solved! :)

Hope this is helpful to you.

-S-
Thanks! @Facher he is right—definitely sign up for Strong Endurance! In the meantime let me know if you have other questions that I might be able to help with.

Would be nice if you would release a strong endurance book/ manual for those who won't be able to attend a seminar :)

I totally understand this sentiment. It’s both a financial and time commitment which most people don’t have the luxury of.

However, the way I see it in this instance is that Pavel already did release a Strong Endurance book, The Quick and the Dead. So much fantastic information in there, and if applied correctly, you can use the info for any movement(s) that suit you.

That is true. A+A and q&d tells a lot, but is just fun to read more about it and see all the plans :)
Oh, I totally agree. I'd love to dive deep into the SFG manual & Built Strong, but I don't have thousands to spend on a trip across country since I just train myself & others no-charge.... Do what we can though. Free content has been great!

That is true. A+A and q&d tells a lot, but is just fun to read more about it and see all the plans :)
I think you've touched an important point here. I think that as non-attendees we experience some sort of a sfrong endurance fomo. It's not really a lack of resources, but the craving for novelty.
What came to my mind is a possible solution how to quench this thirst. Never have I ever not been helped on this forum when I needed somebody to criticize my technique, especially that I'm an autodidact. Once I posted a program I designed, so I could improve it. The program was a failure, but I learnt a lot.
I think that if a lot of trainees are AGT/a+a enthusiasts we can post our diy programs, crticize them, peer test them and create an open source base of programs over time. That would be a great incentive to deepen once knowledge on programming and sport physiology.

Good points/ideas here everybody. For what it's worth, the SE manual is a tough read and would've been tougher without having attended the online seminar. I would just add this: don't undervalue your continuing education! The SF seminars/certs are all reasonably priced for what you get (especially the online versions), which is about the best strength & conditioning info out there. I would credit a lot of the success of my training business to investing in things like PlanStrong and Strong Endurance!

Good points/ideas here everybody. For what it's worth, the SE manual is a tough read and would've been tougher without having attended the online seminar. I would just add this: don't undervalue your continuing education! The SF seminars/certs are all reasonably priced for what you get (especially the online versions), which is about the best strength & conditioning info out there. I would credit a lot of the success of my training business to investing in things like PlanStrong and Strong Endurance!

I think that's just it, they are reasonably priced for what you get as a BUSINESS. I'm not saying they shouldn't be priced the way they are, I'm saying that as an individual that exercises in my garage and will make $0 from it, I personally could never justify spending that much money on a class. That's why I am so excited about the new 101/201 classes as those are aimed more at people like me that just want to learn the techniques and simple programming, and are priced as such.

Little question about where to aim at phase 2? Should you aim to hit 40 minutes 600 snatches or to hit 400 snatches at 27 minutes?

Thank you guys

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom