all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Post-apocalipse training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I am concerned that nobody (almost) said S&S. That is supposed to be gpp - what we need. And it is supposed to leave you fresh enough, no?
Well, if anything - nobody said: 2H swing + goblet squats, chinups and pushups as well.
For what I know, would not he be better off swinging instead of jogging? ( I refer to will Smith on the threadmill in the movie).
For the rest - this turns out to be a supre thread. It is very interesting for me - originally I got into the strength training, because I have tried to figure out: how little can I do to stay fit and in shape?

No, I am genuinely interested. I often think - what would I be doing?
So, me - if I would get my hands on a kettlebell, being 41 y.o., - I would 2h swing, goblet squat, do pushups, pull-ups and some mobility work on the ground, different forms of TGU with something light would do. Probably, mobility work daily. Then - one day chins and pushups, the other day squats and swings.

So, me - if I would get my hands on a kettlebell, being 41 y.o., - I would 2h swing, goblet squat, do pushups, pull-ups and some mobility work on the ground, different forms of TGU with something light would do. Probably, mobility work daily. Then - one day chins and pushups, the other day squats and swings.

In this post apocalyptic world, do you have unlimited food that you can waste so much energy?

These 2 hours apply to just the swings or all exercises. Because if it's only for the swings, I won't be able to do it even in the current situation :)

In this post apocalyptic world, do you have unlimited food that you can waste so much energy?
Your scope is broader. I assume that I am the last person alive and I loot supermarkets. For the sake of mental experiment, let's agree that I eat enough to recover.

I enjoy these thought experiments...

Priority would be avoiding injuries and not leaving yourself too tired/sore to perform when called upon. So nothing near your max, no TGUs, no heavy loads of any kind, no long runs or rucks in places you aren't sure are safe, etc.

TBH much of the 'training' you'd need day-to-day would probably be just surviving/scavaging/running away/fighting as needed. But assuming you have some stable and safe set-up (indoor or outdoor) though, I'd do some combination of:

Some mobility work.
Easy running or rucking.
Pull-ups and push-ups.
Swings and snatches.
Light to moderate barbell work: squats, deadlifts, presses.

And maybe something like some sandbag work or some GPP Crossfit-lite programming.

For me it'd look quite like the Novocaine format that's been talked about on here I think.

In all likelihood, you’re gonna get really lean/thin in such an event. you’d actually want to have a bit of extra fat on the bones prior to the apocalypse happening. Not so much to vastly slow you down though.

Years ago I did 35 days of intense backcountry hiking in New Zealand. Time between civilization stops ranged from 3 days to 11 days. Often in cool-cold weather. Tons up mountain rucking, carrying all my gear and food. (Food for 12 days of eating in cold weather weighs quite a bit).

Every time we were in civilization I would eat lots of fresh produce and lots of high calorie foods (we’re talking whole packs of Oreos and half gallon of milk plus lots of fresh fruit) to compensate for expenditure. I still lost something like 25 pounds.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom