all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Post-apocalipse training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
In all likelihood, you’re gonna get really lean/thin in such an event.

I thought OP said we have infinite food because all the people disappeared and we're just scavenging from supermarkets.

Of course, that also brings up:

Why do I need to train if there are no adversaries left alive and I have canned food for life?

It’s an odd apocalypse to not have to worry about food, shelter, or any active threats…

If you watch "I Am Legend", 99% of humans get killed off by the weird virus.

On top of that, OP stipulated you're the last person alive.

Given all the spare guns and ammo to be had, nothing in the animal kingdom (at least in North America) is in the category of something that can't be killed with adequate firepower.

Last edited:
That still leaves 80 million very strong, fast, violent zombie-vampire-mutants. Plus he definitely didn’t have unlimited food.

He was a dumbass for staying in New York.

But he did it because he felt guilty.

Anyone with a brain would ditch the cities, bugged off to the country side, lived off nature and sporadic raiding of rural, low population Wal Marts.

In all likelihood, you’re gonna get really lean/thin in such an event. you’d actually want to have a bit of extra fat on the bones prior to the apocalypse happening. Not so much to vastly slow you down though.

Years ago I did 35 days of intense backcountry hiking in New Zealand. Time between civilization stops ranged from 3 days to 11 days. Often in cool-cold weather. Tons up mountain rucking, carrying all my gear and food. (Food for 12 days of eating in cold weather weighs quite a bit).

Every time we were in civilization I would eat lots of fresh produce and lots of high calorie foods (we’re talking whole packs of Oreos and half gallon of milk plus lots of fresh fruit) to compensate for expenditure. I still lost something like 25 pounds.
Once you adapt to the activity the weightloss slows down somewhat as you've become more efficient at the movement. Problem is, if you're totally adapted to rucking you will not be able to do anything else all that well. The body wants to be efficient. You'll still lose weight and get weaker if you're not eating enough, and the hiker-hunger never quite goes away until the body is back to its comfortable weight, more or less. Seeing your body change so drastically in a short period of time to adapt to the environment and the demands placed upon it is enlightening, shocking, and sometimes scary. I think the best post-apocalypse training is to get 1) healthy, and 2) strong, now, before the apocalypse happens, and then maintain with as little as needed to keep your gpp relatively high based on the constraints you are given. Basically, do what you can, where you are, with what you have, no matter if grocery stores are stocked and the streets quiet, or if a pack of feral ghouls are trying to break into your fort, or anywhere in between. I think we all spend so much time "elsewhere" that we forget that the apocalypse is always happening, and also not happening. In the land of the blind, the one-eye man is king.

I enjoy these thought experiments...

Priority would be avoiding injuries and not leaving yourself too tired/sore to perform when called upon. So nothing near your max, no TGUs, no heavy loads of any kind, no long runs or rucks in places you aren't sure are safe, etc.

TBH much of the 'training' you'd need day-to-day would probably be just surviving/scavaging/running away/fighting as needed. But assuming you have some stable and safe set-up (indoor or outdoor) though, I'd do some combination of:

Some mobility work.
Easy running or rucking.
Pull-ups and push-ups.
Swings and snatches.
Light to moderate barbell work: squats, deadlifts, presses.

And maybe something like some sandbag work or some GPP Crossfit-lite programming.

For me it'd look quite like the Novocaine format that's been talked about on here I think.
Yes, I agree about avoiding injuries and not leaving yourself too tired/sore to perform when called upon.
But - why no TGUs?
I have been doing barbell for 3 years. I have been doing TGUs for half a year. I wonder about your choice. Also - I wonder about snatches.

. Inside the group, he can be one of the leaders, and he does not need to run or climb, but simply grab and throw the weaker ones to the angry mob of zombies.
I was thinking more in the line of: if pre-apocalypse you are known around the block as "this ripped scary bear-looking MF" the "zombies" (awakened by the disappearance of law enforcement) may hesitate before they come to your house to rob/rape/kill you.

I was thinking more in the line of: if pre-apocalypse you are known around the block as "this ripped scary bear-looking MF" the "zombies" (awakened by the disappearance of law enforcement) may hesitate before they come to your house to rob/rape/kill you.
Except when the get Real hungry, then they get Real ballsy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom