all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Program Hopping

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My Scotts 20 works great.
Mine does now, but out of the box the bed knife was warped in the center (sent me a replacement), the bushings were both snapped and several of the blades on the reel had to be “tuned” with a 3lb drilling hammer to cut paper the entire length. Had an older 16” one that needed to have the blades similarly tuned.

Not the toughest job but very tedious.

Mine does now, but out of the box the bed knife was warped in the center (sent me a replacement), the bushings were both snapped and several of the blades on the reel had to be “tuned” with a 3lb drilling hammer to cut paper the entire length. Had an older 16” one that needed to have the blades similarly tuned.

Not the toughest job but very tedious.
I have a Scotts 16" and my only complaint is that its only a 16". How do I know if it is having any of these issues?

I have a Scotts 16" and my only complaint is that its only a 16". How do I know if it is having any of these issues?
First just look at how uniformly it cuts. Flip it and advance the reel by hand with a sheet of paper between the reel blades and the bed knife. You want it to cut the entire length of each blade with the lightest amount of squeeze on the blade setting.

And then it pays to sharpen it every couple years, but the physical setting makes a big difference if done right.

I use a piece of wood and a heavy hammer to pound the reel blades from the front or back depending on how it contacts. You can tweak the bed knife a little, but if its way out is better to replace it. If its cutting well maybe don’t go down that rabbit hole or you can wind up spending a lot of time to get it “just right”.

First just look at how uniformly it cuts. Flip it and advance the reel by hand with a sheet of paper between the reel blades and the bed knife. You want it to cut the entire length of each blade with the lightest amount of squeeze on the blade setting.

And then it pays to sharpen it every couple years, but the physical setting makes a big difference if done right.

I use a piece of wood and a heavy hammer to pound the reel blades from the front or back depending on how it contacts. You can tweak the bed knife a little, but if its way out is better to replace it. If its cutting well maybe don’t go down that rabbit hole or you can wind up spending a lot of time to get it “just right”.
There are little adjuster screws on the bottom of the bed knife. I adjust them to make sure the corner of a newspaper (i still take a print newspaper, but maybe a DIFFERENT thread for that) all along the length every few mows. Simple. I have never actually sharpened the blades. Not sure how i would do that.

've always fancied a manual push lawn mower. Would you recommend it?
(My lawn is circa 60 SQM)

My Scott's 20 was the bomb, and the grass loved it. Quarter acre lot, all mowed in 25 minutes. Wear cleats/spikes and you kind of aerate too. A pleasing sound, no gasoline in or near the house, no exhaust, it was very nice. Having a lawn mowing service is better, but I do miss the push mower sometimes. What I really wanted was a scythe and a yard/meadow to use it in, but that was not to be. Life is hard.

I know its the flagship program and all that, but I'd quit training altogether if I had to do S&S. It is what it is. I've done the getups and swings and just didn't get much of nothing from them. And before someone gives birth to a honey badger from me saying that, I did getups with a barbell with 120lbs, so I wasn't exactly a weakling at them.

To much time is wasted doing only these piddly exercises when you could do other things that will actually make you brute strong and put some muscle on you.

I'm a competitive powerlifter, but go to any single PL and you'll see that many successful lifters don't do much in the way of conditioning work. That's evidence to Jeff's point that not everyone needs S&S for sure if their goals are getting bigger and stronger.

But there are others for whom it helps there powerlifting, and I'm one of those. I am light enough and old enough that I'm always - always - the only person in my age/weight group at a powerlifting meet, even when I went to the USPA Nationals last year. 600+ lifters, competition was 5 days long, and I was still the only person in my age/weight group. (Which also means there were no geared lifters in my age/weight group, either, for what that might be worth to anyone.)

My way, in my late 40's, through my 50's, and up to about age 62 or so, of staying in my weight class was to do only a small amount, compared to many people, of training, with a big focus on technique. But from about age 63 onwards, I found two things - I'd hit reasonable enough PR's for myself, given the training I'd done, and if I wanted to keep setting PR's as I got older, I was going to need to rethink my training a bit. But when I tried just training for PL more, it was too much for me.

And thus entered the kettlebell. :) Adding swings to my training noticeably increased my work capacity for PL training. I say all of this to say that, for some people, the addition of some kettlebell work will help their PL performance. In my case, I feel it was largely conditioning but a lot of swings and then a lifetime DL PR one month before my 67th birthday says that maybe the additional posterior chain work wasn't exactly hurting me, either. And we have stories, several of which are in the beginning of Pavel's books, wherein some world-class PL'ers have added kettlebell work and their totals have gone up, and in their cases, I believe it's that the way the kettlebells work one's body/muscles actually addressed strength issues, not conditioning.

And one other point for anyone getting older - while I'm still able to add muscle, I'm more able to do what would have added muscle to my frame 20 years ago but now I don't gain weight. Hypertrophy takes a little extra work. For my goals, hypertrophy isn't at the top of the list, but as I approach my next competition, I'm going to aim for adding a little beef to my legs because I think I can do that, lift more weight, and still stay in my weight class.

I would argue that just practicing TGUs and swings in order to achieve Timed Sinister is not the most effective way to achieve Timed Sinister.

If I had an average sized male as a client (I'm not a trainer, but I'll pretend) who could do Timeless Simple and told me they wanted to hit Timed Sinister, I would:

1. Reduce their TGU and swing practice to once or twice a week
2. Focus on strength and power training using tools other than KBs
3. Have them gain some mass via hypertrophy training (it's easier to lift big if you're bigger)

Note that S&S recommends cutting back the frequency of training once you're reached Simple. That section of the book is worth reading particularly in this context.

-S-

There are little adjuster screws on the bottom of the bed knife. I adjust them to make sure the corner of a newspaper (i still take a print newspaper, but maybe a DIFFERENT thread for that) all along the length every few mows. Simple. I have never actually sharpened the blades. Not sure how i would do that.

Depends on the mfg, but I pull the drive gear and run the blade shaft backwards with a drill, using grinding compound on the surfaces (wipe it clean when done).

The instructions will recommend you swap the drive gears side to side so you can pull the mower and the blade will spin backward that way too. A large drill is a lot faster but you need to put it in a trash can or similar as some of the compound will go flying.

You can get these mighty sharp.

Process goal I'd wager, since really the outcome is always the same and meant to be so... a beautiful or well groomed lawn.

I have a progression scheme going which is area / divided time taken, with the goal to decrease time.

Once spring is over and the grass stops growing so quickly, I'll switch to loaded mowing by putting weight plates on top.

I have a progression scheme going which is area / divided time taken, with the goal to decrease time.

Once spring is over and the grass stops growing so quickly, I'll switch to loaded mowing by putting weight plates on top.
I've used a ruck sack on my back as well. Good times.

I'm a competitive powerlifter, but go to any single PL and you'll see that many successful lifters don't do much in the way of conditioning work. That's evidence to Jeff's point that not everyone needs S&S for sure if their goals are getting bigger and stronger.

But there are others for whom it helps there powerlifting, and I'm one of those. I am light enough and old enough that I'm always - always - the only person in my age/weight group at a powerlifting meet, even when I went to the USPA Nationals last year. 600+ lifters, competition was 5 days long, and I was still the only person in my age/weight group. (Which also means there were no geared lifters in my age/weight group, either, for what that might be worth to anyone.)

My way, in my late 40's, through my 50's, and up to about age 62 or so, of staying in my weight class was to do only a small amount, compared to many people, of training, with a big focus on technique. But from about age 63 onwards, I found two things - I'd hit reasonable enough PR's for myself, given the training I'd done, and if I wanted to keep setting PR's as I got older, I was going to need to rethink my training a bit. But when I tried just training for PL more, it was too much for me.

And thus entered the kettlebell. :) Adding swings to my training noticeably increased my work capacity for PL training. I say all of this to say that, for some people, the addition of some kettlebell work will help their PL performance. In my case, I feel it was largely conditioning but a lot of swings and then a lifetime DL PR one month before my 67th birthday says that maybe the additional posterior chain work wasn't exactly hurting me, either. And we have stories, several of which are in the beginning of Pavel's books, wherein some world-class PL'ers have added kettlebell work and their totals have gone up, and in their cases, I believe it's that the way the kettlebells work one's body/muscles actually addressed strength issues, not conditioning.

And one other point for anyone getting older - while I'm still able to add muscle, I'm more able to do what would have added muscle to my frame 20 years ago but now I don't gain weight. Hypertrophy takes a little extra work. For my goals, hypertrophy isn't at the top of the list, but as I approach my next competition, I'm going to aim for adding a little beef to my legs because I think I can do that, lift more weight, and still stay in my weight class.

Note that S&S recommends cutting back the frequency of training once you're reached Simple. That section of the book is worth reading particularly in this context.

-S-

I think a certain level of conditioning is definitely beneficial for every lifter. Just for improved work or rather training capacity. May even help in a meet.

What the kettlebells do is another case. I'm not sure how a kettlebell front squat is better than a barbell front squat or a barbell zercher squat. But the swing would work the posterior from the extreme other end of the force-velocity -graph and might well be a good novel stimulus.

One more thing could be how the kettlebell training itself can accelerate recovery. Not specific to the kettlebell, but maybe what happened in some situations.

This thread has been great and informative.

I wouldn't say that I hop from program to the next. My issue that I have is that my wife and family keep gifting me another kettlebell for X-mas or my birthday. So they just keep getting heavier and heavier. Or my single bell turns into a pair. I choose a program or a set of programs based on my ability to lift the next size up (or the next pair up).

@Adam R Mundorf, I remember you posting a few years back of your collection of Rogue e-coated bells all the way up to the 48kg, I believe. I think it's easy for the mind to become muddied down with the plethora of program options along with the options in bells.
It is very easy to become muddied down. If I'm being honest, I think I suffer from undiagnosed neuroticism. I obsess over things from virtue, being spiritually right and diet. Majoring in the minors as they say.

Maybe try shorter programs? Or even adopt a "Workout of the Day" type of training so you don't have a program at all.

86292447.jpg

From what I remember you keep switching between RoP, S&S and CC over and over. All programs with long term progressions and goals. Maybe sticking with something that only lasts for 4, 6 or 8 weeks is easier to do and even more rewarding.

I can't recommend a program like that but from what I remember Pavel has a couple shorter programs like "Total Tension KB Complex", the "Moving Target KB Complex" and "Dry Fighting Weight" features a 4 week cycle from Geoff Neupert. And a couple years back Mike Prevost from this forum shared this PDF with 100 KB workouts:

I wonder if program hopping is an issue if you have no specific goals other that GPP.
This is key for most people. No goal equals no “measurable” results. Find 1-3 goals of what you really want. Set 12 weeks aside and chase those goals, or until they are reached. General health is a valid goal but I think people need to have a measurable goal to really stick it out. It has changed the way I replaced exercise with training. Much more enjoyment when you finally hit that goal.

This is key for most people. No goal equals no “measurable” results. Find 1-3 goals of what you really want. Set 12 weeks aside and chase those goals, or until they are reached. General health is a valid goal but I think people need to have a measurable goal to really stick it out. It has changed the way I replaced exercise with training. Much more enjoyment when you finally hit that goal.
Perhaps but maybe it’s not an either or. I am reminded of Dan John’s bus bench and park bench workouts:
  • Bus bench workouts: You're expecting results – on time! (Like you're hoping the bus will be.)
  • Park bench workouts: Are an opportunity to explore and enjoy where you are in training.

Maybe sticking with something that only lasts for 4, 6 or 8 weeks is easier to do and even more rewarding.

That's my sweet spot.

I'll sometimes do a 12 week meso cycle that I'll split into 2 segments of 6 weeks with at taper/deload in the 6th week, and a minor exercise swap for the 2nd block of 6 weeks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom