all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

To put it simply and bluntly. My pull ups suck. Chin ups no problem. What and where can I find the best SFG resources on how to do pull ups?

This is a 3 part series from GMB. They use rings (which I highly recommend) but you can apply the same principles to a bar if you want. When it comes to body weight courses their stuff is top notch. Lots of great free resources on their website too. Get yourself a set of rings. You won't regret it and your shoulders will thank you.

@HUNTER1313
All good advice thus far. You won't go wrong with any of it.
But when you say "My pull ups suck" what exactly do you mean? Perspective and context matter. As do goals...

Bent rows and similar really help me with pull-ups, just have to make sure you're getting a complete contraction at the top, pulling the weight in as high and tight as it will go.

Pull ups suck as in I can't do one. I can pull my a#@ off till I'm bluer in the face than any man should be, but I don't really budge.

Pull ups suck as in I can't do one. I can pull my a#@ off till I'm bluer in the face than any man should be, but I don't really budge.
@HUNTER1313
Solution: Rig up a pulley / counterweight system. You can load up weights that will counter your weight to the point you can one or many pull-ups. Over time you can gradually remove weight. Ultimately you will be doing regular pull-ups. This may be a bit complicated, but I think it is unrivaled in its effectiveness. I got back to pull-ups pretty quickly after shoulder surgery using this method. I find it far superior to bands, or any other method.

Hello,

You can also place a rubber band on the bar. Then, you use it by placing your feet inside the loop. this will assist you. As time goes by, you reduce the resistance of the band by choosing a thiner one. This is a strategy used (among others) to learn the muscle up for instance

Kind regards,

Pet'

Try two or three eccentric, also called negative, pull-up sets three times a day with at least two hours of rest between sets. I had a knee replacement a few months ago and did this system on stairs at home. After a few weeks I can go up and down the stairs without any problems.

You might only be able to do one at first and it might not be slow. Keep trying and see how it goes. Sets of one will increase to larger sets.

Here is more on eccentric training. Eccentric training - Wikipedia

Hello,

You can also place a rubber band on the bar. Then, you use it by placing your feet inside the loop. this will assist you. As time goes by, you reduce the resistance of the band by choosing a thiner one. This is a strategy used (among others) to learn the muscle up for instance

Kind regards,

Pet'
The band method is certainly simpler, but it is unfortunately nonlinear in its application of assistance...

Hello,

@offwidth
That is true.

But in this case, the resistance will be higher when you need it to be higher: at the beginning of the move, when you have to initialize the concentric phase from the dead hang position. Indeed, once your arm reaches (and go beyond) the parallel, assistance can be reduced because the lever becomes more favorable.

I used this method (among others I admit it) to learn the OAC with pretty good result. What I mean, this "method" makes you work harder where you need.

However, I also agree with you about the fact that the pulley system is far more "scalable" than the band ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Karen Smith has, I think, put up videos showing some progression that we also use in our courses and certs, starting with hollow position rocking on the floor, if memory serves. If anyone has a link, please post, and thanks.

-S-

Hello,

@offwidth
That is true.

But in this case, the resistance will be higher when you need it to be higher: at the beginning of the move, when you have to initialize the concentric phase from the dead hang position. Indeed, once your arm reaches (and go beyond) the parallel, assistance can be reduced because the lever becomes more favorable.

I used this method (among others I admit it) to learn the OAC with pretty good result. What I mean, this "method" makes you work harder where you need.

However, I also agree with you about the fact that the pulley system is far more "scalable" than the band ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'
This is certainly true for many people. However I have also heard people say that the sticking point for them is the lock-0ff at the top position.
Bands are certainly easy, and have their place. I agree on that 100%. Along with all of the other progression/regression techniques.

Learn to hang in the top position for 2 minutes, learn to hang in the bottom position for 2 minutes. Your body will figure out the in between. According to Dan John anyways.... :)

In case it helps - I worked up to pullups with inverted rows on rings and bent arm holds from the pullup bar. Then added negative pullups until I could do one positive rep. Then I did sets of one rep and added a hold at the top when I was able. The next step, and this seemed to make the difference, was to stay with one rep sets with a hold at the top until it felt strong and confident before moving on to two rep sets.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom