all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Push pressing for stronger press?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Awesome thread. I’m currently working on push pressing the 28kg and doing slow eccentric to help build my military press. Happy to see that I wasn’t the only one with this thought process.

how about doing side presses /side push presses. Does it affect the military press or pressing strength?

One year ago I was able to lift the 32 kilo kettlebell 4 times in military press. I was not able to lift the 36 kilo kettlebell. I created a program consisting of a lot of push presses using the 36 and the 32 kilo. I did this for half a year. The results were that my strength in military press with kettlebells did not increase. However I did not use the the slow negatives.

If buying more kettlebells is out of the question, you could consider buying the book "Perfecting the press" by Kenneth Jay (he is a strong danish guy that Pavel uses in one of his videos). I have bought the book and it seems interesting, although I have never tested any of the techniques in the book.) https://www.amazon.com/Perfecting-P...tlebell+press&qid=1558178331&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Good luck !

Why not do volume training with the 32kg? Press a few tonnes a few times a week. 8-12 reps per arm. I've done this with a 32kg, usually 8 reps per arm, and a 24kg with 12-reps per arm. Do a few sets every other day and keep track of the volume. I did this for a little while and could press a 48kg. I did use a 40kg as well, but mostly the 32kg for high volume training.

Short version: Press the 32kg a lot!
And do some rows as well.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I got dozen great ideas how to progress.. jerks, higher volume with 24&32 etc....

@Dekapon
Your idea is pretty interesting. I have'nt basically never done sets over five.. so that is really something what I have to consider too. One thing is sure: changes will lead to new adaptations...

Often I think that I know pretty well these things, but still I notice time to time how blind I'm for my own training. We all are students of strength. More or less. :D

Direct quote from former master SFG
"the coach who trains himself has an idiot for a client."

Well. Luckily I'm not coach. :)

Thanks guys I got dozen great ideas how to progress.. jerks, higher volume with 24&32 etc....

@Dekapon
Your idea is pretty interesting. I have'nt basically never done sets over five.. so that is really something what I have to consider too. One thing is sure: changes will lead to new adaptations...

Personally you can run sets up to 10-12 before it will have decreasing relevance to limit strength as long as you include low rep work as well. The relative lack of efficacy in this range is from working only in this range.

Often I think that I know pretty well these things, but still I notice time to time how blind I'm for my own training. We all are students of strength. More or less. :D

This is very true! Is not easy to make changes when you're concerned about lacking consistency, but sometimes you have to try different approaches.

Direct quote from former master SFG
"the coach who trains himself has an idiot for a client."

Well. Luckily I'm not coach. :)

I strongly disagree with this statement unless you are talking about very sport specific work. If you cannot train yourself and objectively adapt to the "client's" responses and goals, there's a better chance you won't do a good job for the next client either.

Last edited:
I used to always train myself, I trained regularly but always had mediocre results. Now I have gotten a trainer and it is such a nice thing to have someone have an eye on you and watch out so I don't do anything stupid.

Isn't this issue a significant part of the premise behind Rite of Passage? It was written back when there were limited bell sizes, so in order to move up in weight you had to positively own your current weight. Were you able to complete all 5 ladders of 1,2,3,4,5 at 32 kilos when you ran it before?

the Clean n Jerk improved my double press from 2x28kg for 2 to 5 (plus a 2x32kg for 1 but I can't replicate that on demand). also OAPU improved my press as well.

Isn't this issue a significant part of the premise behind Rite of Passage? It was written back when there were limited bell sizes, so in order to move up in weight you had to positively own your current weight. Were you able to complete all 5 ladders of 1,2,3,4,5 at 32 kilos when you ran it before?
Yeah. I completed those ladders and actually pretty fast.. it took less than 45mins to do.
I can press 32kg around 9-10 times.. I actually invested 6 euros to 8kg kettlebell. Now I can do presses with stacked 40kg. It made my life so much simpler. Now just some volume with 20,24&32 and some singles with 40.. soon 44kg will rise. I'll post video here when it happens
:)

It's not a bad idea but you will increase your 1RM much quicker by using a PlanStrong approach with the bulk of your reps done with the 28 and 32k. Push Pressing is great, especially for getting a big bell overhead to improve your overhead stability but pressing the 28 and 32 will definitely get you stronger quicker. Best of luck!

It's not a bad idea but you will increase your 1RM much quicker by using a PlanStrong approach with the bulk of your reps done with the 28 and 32k. Push Pressing is great, especially for getting a big bell overhead to improve your overhead stability but pressing the 28 and 32 will definitely get you stronger quicker. Best of luck!
Actually I'll used plan strong program I found from internet. Soviet waviness etc.. From @CMarker. I'm only starting, but I felt really good and decided to try 44kg. It went up with both arms. Left side was real grind, but I made it. I'll post video here in few weeks to get some grace. :)
It can also be wth effect from completing program from Double kettlebell manifesto recently...
I don't really care why I get stronger as long as I get strong. :)
Soon I will achieve goal that many of us have: press the beast. :)

Actually I'll used plan strong program I found from internet. Soviet waviness etc.. From @CMarker. I'm only starting, but I felt really good and decided to try 44kg. It went up with both arms. Left side was real grind, but I made it. I'll post video here in few weeks to get some grace. :)
It can also be wth effect from completing program from Double kettlebell manifesto recently...
I don't really care why I get stronger as long as I get strong. :)
Soon I will achieve goal that many of us have: press the beast. :)
What program did you use from @CMarker?

This one, by chance? A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II | StrongFirst

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom