all posts post new thread

Nutrition Raw Eggs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BennyWalks

Level 3 Valued Member
Anyone else on the raw egg hype?

Here in England the lion marked ones are 'guaranteed' free from salmonella.

It's said to have massive testosterone boosting effects and other positive ones, some of which are 'mass anectodal.'

They make me feel like I could get a paving slab pregnant by looking at it.

I do 6 a day. Some suggest going as high as 36.

You want ones from as organic, happy hens as you can afford- gets expensive fast though.

Also, even though they are pretty much tasteless and painless to drink, people who haven't tried it are under the mass delusion that it's unbelievably disgusting, so people that see you do it will think you're tough.

I will mention that the way eggs are sold in the US is different than in most of the rest of world, a thing I've always found noteworthy. In the UK and most of the rest of the planet, eggs don't require refrigeration because the coating on them naturally protects them. Here in the US, the coating is washed off and eggs must be kept refrigerated.

IronMind has always sold this stuff: https://ironmind.com/export/sites/i...ges-2016/18-JPBackLabelUpdated_022118-1-2.jpg which I've never tried, but they're pretty old school (read: good) when it comes to strength. For those who don't want to look at the label, it's basically just milk and eggs in powdered form.

-S-

I've eaten raw eggs for years. Sometimes cracked into a glass and chugged, sometimes with raw milk,raw heavy cream, various protein powders and frozen bananas in a Vita-Mix . Never had a negative side-effect.

My go to egg.

Maffetone has a morning coffee recipe that is pretty good, requires a raw egg.

Last edited:
even though they are pretty much tasteless and painless to drink, people who haven't tried it are under the mass delusion that it's unbelievably disgusting, so people that see you do it will think you're tough.
Yuk! Count me in on that mass delusion and may my eyes never be opened to the truth

For those who don't want to look at the label, it's basically just milk and eggs in powdered form.
Egg and Milk

This is one of the most effective blends there is.

1) Milk

It is composed of...

a) Casein Protein: 80%

It is high in the amino Acid Glutamine; which assist with recovery.

Casein is a "Time Released Protein"; digestion time is around 300 minutes. Thus, it trickles into your system slowly, supplying amino acids.

That is one of the reasons it is considered the "Anti-Catabolic Protein" and recommended prior to bed, where you are essentially in an 8 hour Intermittent Fast.

b) Whey Protein: 20%

This is the "Anabolic Protein". That due to how quickly it enters your system, around 120 minute or less.

Also, because it has the highest percentage of Leucine, which is the Anabolic Amino Acid.

c) Egg Protein

Egg Protein at time was considered the "Gold Standard" of Protein. It was rated at the top of the PER (Protein Efficiency Ratio) Chart.

However, Whey has replaced it as the "Gold Standard" of anabolic Proteins.

The digestion time of Egg Protein is around 180 minutes. Thus, the digestion time falls in between Whey and Casein. Egg has a moderate rated digestion time.

Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS)

This is one the latest methods of measuring proteins. The chart below provide you information on the most effective source of protein...

1611662633310.png

The Blend Benefit

The benefit of the Milk (Casein-Whey) and Egg Blend is that you get the best of all worlds.

Whey is quickly digested.

Egg has a moderately digestion time. Egg picking up where Whey leaves off.

Casein "The Time Released Protein", then pick up where Egg stops.

What I Don't Like About Egg Protein Powder

The price. The price of Egg Protein Powder is higher than Whey or Casein.

The solution to the price of Egg Protein Powder...

Whole Eggs

I pay about $1.50 a dozen. That means that one (1) egg (6) gram of protein is12.5 cents.

That amount to be approximately the same price as 24 gram of Whey Protein Powder (if you shopping and getting a good price on Whey).

The added value of a Whole is that it contain most of the nutrients.

All You Need to Know About Egg Yoke

Egg yolks contain at least seven essential minerals, including:

Egg yolks are a plentiful source of many vitamins, especially fat- and water-soluble vitamins.

The table below outlines the vitamin content of one large (17 g) egg yolk.

Thiamin0.030 mg
Riboflavin0.090 mg
Niacin0.004 mg
Vitamin B-60.060 mg
Vitamin B-120.332 micrograms (mcg)
Vitamin A64.8 mcg
Vitamin E0.439 mg
Vitamin D (D-2 and D-3)0.918 mcg
Vitamin K0.119 mcg

Last edited:
Egg and Milk

This is one of the most effective blends there is.

1) Milk

It is composed of...

a) Casein Protein: 80%

It is high in the amino Acid Glutamine; which assist with recovery.

Casein is a "Time Released Protein"; digestion time is around 300 minutes. Thus, it trickles into your system slowly, supplying amino acids.

That is one of the reasons it is considered the "Anti-Catabolic Protein" and recommended prior to bed, where you are essentially in an 8 hour Intermittent Fast.

b) Whey Protein: 20%

This is the "Anabolic Protein". That due to how quickly it enters your system, around 120 minute or less.

Also, because it has the highest percentage of Leucine, which is the Anabolic Amino Acid.

c) Egg Protein

Egg Protein at time was considered the "Gold Standard" of Protein. It was rated at the top of the PER (Protein Efficiency Ratio) Chart.

However, Whey has replaced it as the "Gold Standard" of anabolic Proteins.

The digestion time of Egg Protein is around 180 minutes. Thus, the digestion time falls in between Whey and Casein. Egg has a moderate rated digestion time.

Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS)

This is one the latest methods of measuring proteins. The chart below provide you information on the most effective source of protein...

View attachment 12670

The Blend Benefit

The benefit of the Milk (Casein-Whey) and Egg Blend is that you get the best of all worlds.

Whey is quickly digested.

Egg has a moderately digestion time. Egg picking up where Whey leaves off.

Casein "The Time Released Protein", then pick up where Egg stops.

What I Don't Like About Egg Protein Powder

The price. The price of Egg Protein Powder is higher than Whey or Casein.

The solution to the price of Egg Protein Powder...

Whole Eggs

I pay about $1.50 a dozen. That means that one (1) egg (6) gram of protein is12.5 cents.

That amount to be approximately the same price as 24 gram of Whey Protein Powder (if you shopping and getting a good price on Whey).

The added value of a Whole is that it contain most of the nutrients.

All You Need to Know About Egg Yoke

Egg yolks contain at least seven essential minerals, including:

Egg yolks are a plentiful source of many vitamins, especially fat- and water-soluble vitamins.

The table below outlines the vitamin content of one large (17 g) egg yolk.

Thiamin0.030 mg
Riboflavin0.090 mg
Niacin0.004 mg
Vitamin B-60.060 mg
Vitamin B-120.332 micrograms (mcg)
Vitamin A64.8 mcg
Vitamin E0.439 mg
Vitamin D (D-2 and D-3)0.918 mcg
Vitamin K0.119 mcg
Yep, the various powders that get added to my raw egg/milk concoction are grass fed collagen/whey/ casein powders.

Yep, the various powders that get added to my raw egg/milk concoction are grass fed collagen/whey/ casein powders.
Same here. Eggs (our little feathered protein dispensers are pumping out more eggs than we can eat right now), milk, protein powder, and collagen. Sometimes I'll toss some yogurt in.

I add some salt and stir when I eat raw eggs.

Thanks for that informative post, Kenny.

Eggs (our little feathered protein dispensers are pumping out more eggs than we can eat right now),

Your own chickens? If so, that's awesome.

How often do you find they will lay an egg typcially? I read some shop claiming a healthy (ie non battery / factory farmed) hen will lay an egg only once every 36 hours and am wondering it there's any truth to that.

Same here. Eggs (our little feathered protein dispensers are pumping out more eggs than we can eat right now), milk, protein powder, and collagen. Sometimes I'll toss some yogurt in.
Nice. Adding yogurt/skyr to the mix makes for a nice shake. I will also clean up,dry out and then powder the shells for a nice calcium supplement.

I've tried raw eggs in the past...
My great grandpa always used to say "What more could you want? An egg in your beer?". So naturally I tried cracking a raw egg into my beer.

Oof...
That yolk does not go down easy.

Your own chickens? If so, that's awesome.

How often do you find they will lay an egg typcially? I read some shop claiming a healthy (ie non battery / factory farmed) hen will lay an egg only once every 36 hours and am wondering it there's any truth to that.
Yup. Our own chickens. They usually give us one or two eggs a day.

Whole Eggs

Whole Egg Vs. Egg White Ingestion During 12 weeks of Resistance Training in Trained Young Males: A Randomized Controlled Trial

Acronym Terms

WER: Whole Egg Resistance Group

ERT: Egg White Resistance Group

RT: Resistance Training

Abstract

Bagheri, R, Moghadam, BH, Ashtary-Larky, D, Forbes, SC, Candow, DG, Galpin, AJ, Eskandari, M, Kreider, RB, and Wong, A. Whole egg vs. egg white ingestion during 12 weeks of resistance training in trained young males: a randomized controlled trial. J Strength Cond Res 35(2): 411–419, February 2021—The primary purpose was to compare the effects of whole egg ingestion and egg white ingestion during 12 weeks of resistance training (RT) on muscle cross-sectional area, body composition, muscular strength, and anaerobic power in resistance-trained young males. A secondary purpose was to examine systemic hormonal responses. Thirty resistance-trained young males were randomly assigned to one of 2 groups: Whole eggs + RT (WER; n 5 15) or egg whites + RT (ERT; n 5 15). Whole eggs + RT ingested 3 whole eggs immediately following RT, whereas ERT ingested an isonitrogenous quantity consisting of 6 egg whites immediately following RT. Before and after 12 weeks of whole-body undulating periodized RT (3 sessions per week), knee extensor muscle mass and cross-sectional area (computed tomography), lean body mass and body fat percentage (bioelectrical impedance), muscular strength (knee extension, handgrip strength), Wingate (cycle ergometer), and serum concentrations of hormones were assessed. There was a significant group 3 time interaction for body fat percentage, serum testosterone, knee extension, and handgrip strength with greater improvements observed in WER. There was a significant main effect of time (p , 0.05) for knee extensor muscle mass, cross-sectional area, lean body mass, anaerobic power, and all other blood hormones. There was a trend (p 5 0.06) in the WER group for having a greater change in lean body mass compared with that of ERT. Postexercise whole egg ingestion increases knee extension and handgrip strength, testosterone, and reduces body fat percentage compared with postexercise egg white ingestion, despite no group differences in muscle mass, in resistance-trained young males. Whole eggs consumption may be preferable during RT programs geared toward the improvement of muscular strength and body fat percentage.

Discussion

Egg yolks contain various nonprotein components that may modulate the anabolic response
, such as vitamins (10,17), minerals (35), phosphatidic acid (23), palmitic acid (42), DHA (34), and micro RNAs (8).

Dietary cholesterol, independent of total daily protein intake, was positively associated with RT gains in muscle performance. Potentially, the higher cholesterol and saturated fatty acid intake (in the egg yolk) may have modulated the serum testosterone concentrations changes.

...our results showed that body fat percentage, serum testosterone concentrations, and muscular strength are improved to a greater extent after 12 weeks of RT with whole egg ingestion compared with egg whites...

Practical Applications

Whole eggs consumption
may be preferable during RT programs geared towards the improvement of muscular strength and body fat percentage. These whole foods sources provide an alternative to protein supplements and are convenient, cheap, and easily assessable...

Last edited:
Whole Eggs
More Egg Stuff

Tip: Eat Cholesterol, Gain More Muscle | T Nation

The yolk is where lots of key muscle-building and health-enhancing nutrients are. The primary reason behind these anabolic effects? Dietary cholesterol. A whole egg has a high disproportionate amount of cholesterol relative to its caloric content.

Dietary cholesterol is also one of the most misunderstood substances. People mistake it for blood cholesterol, which has no correlation with the cholesterol you're consuming (3). Your body regulates blood cholesterol adequately based on dietary intake of the nutrient.

As Dr. Andy Galpin, one of the authors of the study, puts it: "Lipid cholesterol is irrelevant here. You're playing a signaling game."

Dietary cholesterol along with other micronutrients like folate within egg yolks are signaling for muscle growth
(4,5). More is generally better.

This means vegan diets will always be slightly inferior for hypertrophy compared to a diet allowing for animal products. While you can match for protein and amino acids with plant sources, only animal sources contain dietary cholesterol.

Of the animal sources at the grocery store, some seafood like shrimp and sardines have a decent amount of cholesterol, but still don't rival whole eggs. Eggs are also cheap and convenient.'

Eat Eggs This Way for More Muscle

Eating whole eggs – the yolk plus the white – leads to far greater protein synthesis than eating just the whites.

How They Did It

After the workout, the lifters received either whole eggs (also containing labeled amino acids) or egg whites. The whole eggs contained 18 grams of protein and 17 grams of fat, while the egg whites contained 18 grams of protein and 0 grams of fat.

What They Found

...the whole egg group experienced a greater surge in mTOR, which is probably the most important cell-signaling complex for muscle growth. The higher the levels of mTOR, the greater the synthesis of protein. (Three things generally stimulate mTOR naturally: mechanical stress, growth factors like IGF, growth hormone, insulin, etc., and amino acids.)

Most importantly, eating whole eggs increased post-exercise muscle protein synthesis about 45% more than plain egg whites.

Vince gironda had guys eating upwards of three dozen eggs a day I think. The results were akin to a mild cycle of "juice" apparently. Either way, I say eat them up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom