all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Recent Fitness-Related Purchases

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Bought a pair of StrongFirst 24kg kettlebells while on sale for Metal Tuesday.

Sad to say that I like my Dragondoor kettlebells much more!

If I knew these were made by Perform Better, I wouldn't have purchased. Quality is not as good as Dragondoor. Disappointing especially for how expensive they were. :(

20231130_120826.jpg

You can get an e-coat for much cheaper from SoCal Kettlebellz
Perform Better are actually cheaper. SoCal wants $127 for a 28kg and PB's are $92. I have pairs of all other bells but the 28's. And I don't have a pair of 20's which I thought about but I think my 24's are light enough. Yeah I just looked and all the bell's from PB are cheaper than theirs. And I am really happy with the finish on the pair 36 and a single 44 I have from them.

Perform Better are actually cheaper. SoCal wants $127 for a 28kg and PB's are $92. I have pairs of all other bells but the 28's. And I don't have a pair of 20's which I thought about but I think my 24's are light enough. Yeah I just looked and all the bell's from PB are cheaper than theirs. And I am really happy with the finish on the pair 36 and a single 44 I have from them.

Shipping is worlds apart for me on the two sites. And if you are close to LA, they have free pick up locations all over the county.

I think they change their bells a bunch though.
I bought some PBs when SF sold them and they have a not great powder coat on them. So if you got an e-coat thats gotta be a different run of bells.

If I knew these were made by Perform Better, I wouldn't have purchased. Quality is not as good as Dragondoor. Disappointing especially for how expensive they were. :(

View attachment 23289
That is kind of a bummer.
It looks like they changed the bell from the store photo.

Also kinda funny in the photo on the SF store you can see some bells that look like DD in the background.

I think they change their bells a bunch though.
I bought some PBs when SF sold them and they have a not great powder coat on them. So if you got an e-coat thats gotta be a different run of bells.
The PB bells we used at the SFG 1 I went to had a rough coating on them. The ones I bought this year were very smooth like the RKC ones. They don't reflect a cheap kb at all.

That is kind of a bummer.
It looks like they changed the bell from the store photo.

Also kinda funny in the photo on the SF store you can see some bells that look like DD in the background.
Yeah, they might not be what they originally sold.

The handle is also higher (similar to Kettlebells USA Metrixx Elite) and both sides are rounded.

One thing I really like about the Dragondoor kettlebells is that one side is "flat" which makes it more comfortable for Presses and Get-ups.

And my pair came with some "lumps" (imperfections) on the undersides of the handles which may be an uncomfortable issue for some exercises.

It’s not recent, but I got a GymBoss timer (GYMBOSS) awhile back. I like my iPhone and Apple Watch, but the timers on those just aren’t great for me. But the GymBoss clipped to my pants? It has really tightened up my rest periods. The feel of a real button to start the timer just feels right.
I love the GymBoss.

A few years ago, i bought a cheap digital display interval timer on Amazon and it has done a pretty good job and withstood cold winters and hot summers well. That said, the GymBoss is a lot easier to program and use! This is pretty close to the one digital interval timer I bought: Amazon product ASIN B08KXXJVRH

View attachment 23289
I was initially impressed with my SF bells (bought a 16 and a 32). I wanted matching doubles so I buoght 2 x 24 SF kettlebells — the bells purchased at the exact same time came out of the box like they were 2 different manufacturers. Quality control is difficult. I have subsequently downgraded my recommendations to folks.

Back
Top Bottom