all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's practice: From Solid to Sinister - Tactical Periodization

- goblet squats - 5x36 kg, 5x36 kg, 5x36 kg

- 1-2 (very light-light) one-arm swings - 10x36kg, 10x36 kg, 10x36 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 60 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 3-3 (medium-medium) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x36, 1x36 kg, 1x36 kg, always left+ right, rest, 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Tactical periodization works like a charm.

I have started new cycle - I will start to incorporate 56 kg into swings, and 48 in the get-ups.

I was already swinging 56 kg 2 years ago - I am sure I will swing it today better.

Last edited:

- goblet squats - 5x40 kg, 5x48 kg, 5x40 kg

- 2-3 (light-medium) one-arm swings - 10x40kg, 10x48 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 80 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 2-4 (light-high) get-ups - 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x40 kg kg, always left+ right, rest, 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Back at the get-ups with the Beast. Not light, not heavy, exactly as it is supposed to be - challenge without struggle.

- goblet squats - 5x44 kg, 5x56 kg, 5x44 kg

- 3-4 (medium-high) one-arm swings - 10x44kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x44 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 100 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 4-3 (high-medium) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x36 kg, always left+ right, rest, 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

56 kg swings feel heavy. They are. On the other hand, 44 kg swings feel light. And that is exactly the goal.

snatch.jpg

"Mr. Gillespie is shown completing a right-arm 'Snatch Lift' with a LARGE SIZE Milo Triplex Bell. A splendid example of poise. Such balance and grace as this is a symbol of controlled strength. In a 'Snatch Lift' the bar-bell is tossed in one motion from the ground to full arm's length in one motion from the ground to full arm's length above the head. No slow, clumsy man can 'snatch' 125 pounds. The 'Snatch' is one pot the supreme tests of combined strength and speed."

- 4-2 (high volume-light intensity) one-arm swings - 10x36kg, 10x44 kg, 10x36 kg, 10x36 kg, 10x36 kg, 10x36 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 120 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 1-4 (very light volume-high intensity) get-ups - 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, always left+ right, rest, 6 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

- one of my big projects will be released very soon
- today I will be interview for StrongFirst Podcast
- I finally finished a new article for StrongFirst blog (with 3 videos)
- life is good!

helping-hand.jpg

"The helping hand to perfect health [and strength!]" - Physical Culture.

Strength has a higher purpose.

Today's story

I found it on another discussion forum, and I love it:

Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

- 1-4 (very low volume-high intensity) one-arm swings - 10x44kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 60 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 4-4 (high volume-high intensity) get-ups - 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x40 kg always left+ right, rest, 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Wednesday's practice: From Solid to Sinister - Tactical Periodization

- goblet squats - 5x32 kg, 5x40 kg, 5x44 kg

- 3-1 (medium volume-very light intensity) one-arm swings - 10x32kg, 10x40 kg, 10x32 kg, 10x32 kg, 10x32 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 100 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 3-3 (medium volume-medium intensity) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x36 kg always left+ right, rest, 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

- 1-4 (very low volume-high intensity) one-arm swings - 10x44kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 60 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 4-4 (high volume-light intensity) get-ups - 1x32 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x32 kg, 1x32 kg, 1x32 kg, 1x32 kg, always left+ right, rest, 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Pavel, what do you think of the very heavy (>48kg) one arm swings? I have read here and elsewhere that they tend to be squattier and not many people seem to do them. I haven't laid hands on anything heavier than 48kg but am thinking of getting a 56kg and seriously training swings with it.

edit: Didn't see your video, those look pretty good!

RE: Bent press technique. I think I'm closer to Saxon, though only in how the form looks and not in weight lifted or physique... :)

Pavel, what do you think of the very heavy (>48kg) one arm swings? I have read here and elsewhere that they tend to be squattier and not many people seem to do them. I haven't laid hands on anything heavier than 48kg but am thinking of getting a 56kg and seriously training swings with it.

edit: Didn't see your video, those look pretty good!

RE: Bent press technique. I think I'm closer to Saxon, though only in how the form looks and not in weight lifted or physique... :)

Phil, yes, I think heavier swings (and especially snatches) are a bit "squattier".

I would say that unless you will use 56 for other drills (goblet squat, get-up, bent press... ), switch to barbell.

Thank you for your kind words, I am glad you like the video.

Yes, I also prefer Saxon's style of bent press - but I have many students who are closer to Ansorge.

- 4-2 (high volume-low intensity) one-arm swings - 10x36kg, 10x44 kg, 10x36 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x36 kg, 10x36 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 120 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 2-3 (low volume-medium intensity) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x36 kg, always left+ right, rest, 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Back
Top Bottom