all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Hi, it is very inspiring to see how consistent you are in sticking to one training program and how far you have made it in this training program:

I have some questions that I would like to ask you:

1) When you are doing S&S so Heavy are you noticing any hypertrophy effect of this ?

2) You Call it tactical waving or tactical periodization. Could you explain what that is ?

3) What kind of weight are you using in the flexible steel program ? Do you see any improvements in flexibility as you use more weight ?

4) While you are doing S&S are you doing anything to maintain Your strength in the other excersises (like bent-press, pistols, OPU etc) ?

@Anders , thank you for your kind words, I am glad my training log is useful. Here are the answers:

1) Yes, some, but - S&S is not a muscle building program, for muscle hypertrophy there are better options. S&S is a GPP (general physical preparation) movement, strength, and strong endurance program. Note: when testing a program I am working on - Royal Simple & Sinister (RSAS, snatch and bent press) - I have noticed pretty significant hypertrophy effect. Great follow-up to S&S for all advanced minimalists.

2) Exercises are the same, but every session is different from the previous one as for total volume (reps) and intensity (wave): it is decided randomly by a dice throw, and all combinations of very low-low-medium-high are possible: altogether 16 combinations. Please refer to SFG manual, or this article

3) Light, and progressively heavier. The goal is not only to increase the flexibility, but get stronger in the current range of motion. Works for both goals.

4) No. I did quite a lot tests of other drills when doing juts S&S, and I could easily maintain reasonable level of strength in many other exercises. WTH effect indeed. Please check my detailed article Solid: In-Between Simple & Sinister

Quick bent press tip for the participants of the Kettlebell Royal Simple & Sinister RSAS test program - I took the video months ago, but forgot to upload it and share it.

Today's practice: From Solid to Sinister - Tactical Periodization

- goblet squats - 5x44 kg, 5x56 kg, 5x44 kg

- 3-4 (medium volume-high intensity) one-arm swings - 10x44kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 100 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 4-3 (high volume-medium intensity) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x36 kg, always left+ right, rest, 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Last edited:
Sounds very interesting Pavel and thanks for your reply. So what you are waving is the volume and the intensity. And the lowest volume or the lowest intensity are around 60 percent of the high volume or the high intensity ? Is this primarily a programming technique that is useful for when you have reached a pretty advanced level of strength ?

Sounds very interesting Pavel and thanks for your reply. So what you are waving is the volume and the intensity. And the lowest volume or the lowest intensity are around 60 percent of the high volume or the high intensity ? Is this primarily a programming technique that is useful for when you have reached a pretty advanced level of strength ?

Yes, around 50-60% of volume (or intensity).

Yes, I would say beyond "Solid" (swings and get-ups with 40 kg for gentlemen) - otherwise you would use weights too light on the "very light" and "light" days.

oday's practice: From Solid to Sinister - Tactical Periodization

- 3-1 (medium volume-very light) one-arm swings - 10x32kg, 10x40 kg, 10x32 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x32 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 100 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 1-3 (very light-medium intensity) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, always left+ right, rest, 6 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Last edited:

- goblet squats - 5x32 kg, 5x40 kg, 5x40 kg

1-1 (very light volume-very light intensity) one-arm swings - 10x32kg, 10x40 kg, 10x32 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest, 60 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 3-3 (medium volume-medium intensity) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, always left+ right, rest, 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

I must say REALLY strong work sir! I can’t imagin swinging a 52k bell! I look forward to reading your article on the pull press!

Actually, 56. Thank you for your kind words! I hope you will like the article and find the tips useful.

Hi Pavel,

Well done on your training log and the great progress you have made over the last few years on it. It is a wonderful source of inspiration to just do the work!

I spent some time this weekend reading through your posts and I had a question about the goblet squats: For a long time at the start you left them at 24kgs while the swings and TGUs increased. But lately you have increased the GSQs all the way up to the 56kg (!) mega-beast.

Any particular reason for this? I always thought the goblet squats were for mobility and not strength.

I'd love to know the rationale behind this.

Thanks again for the hours of work you have put into the log.

Cheers,

Ben

@hatless

Pavel mentioned on the forum to match the GSQ weight to 1-arm swing - and that is what I do.

I still do light GSQs on my off days, together with lots of other drills with lighter kettlebell - loaded joint-mobility/flexibility.

- goblet squats - 5x36 kg, 5x44 kg, 5x36 kg

3-2 (medium volume-light intensity) one-arm swings - 10x36kg, 10x44 kg, 10x36 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x36 OTM, always left, rest; right, rest, 100 swings total (sum of left and right)

Very easy!

- 1-4 (very light volume-high intensity) get-ups - 1x40kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, always left+ right, rest, 6 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

For some reason (maybe the 16 hour martial arts workshop on the wekend?) I could finish the get-ups with 48, damn. I took 32 after, and did multiple sets of roll to elbow as a backoff sets. Well, not every day is a Sunday.

4-4 (high volume-high intensity) one-arm swings - 10x44kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x 56 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest, 120 swings total (sum of left and right)

- 3-3 (medium volume-medium intensity) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x44kg, 10x36 kg, 1x44 kg, always left+ right, rest, 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

"Lie face downward, and keeping the body absolutely rigid, raise yourself at arm's length, using both hands. Then sustain the body first with the right arm and then with the left."​

- Physical Culture for Women, by Belle Gordon, champion woman bag puncher, 1904.

one-arm-pushup.jpg

Yesterday: Some film and photo shoot work, damn tired, so today I just grabbed 32 for al light, tonic session.

- goblet squats - 5x32 kg, 5x32 kg, 5x32 kg

- one-arm swings - 12x(10x32kg), 120 swings total (sum of left and right)

- get-ups - 12x(1x32 kg), 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Back
Top Bottom