all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S - Are "general stretches" after a workout needed?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

smudge173

Level 2 Valued Member
I feel like it was drilled into me at school and boxing training that I need to do a full body "general stretch" after exercising. This was just what was taught, about 10 years ago now. But I'm wondering what the latest is, or to hear some opinions.

So for example, doing some neck stretches, shoulders, triceps, biceps / chest, quads, hamstrings, calves. Like a head-to-toe "10 second per stretch" kind of thing.

I can't see Pavel recommends in S&S this sort of stretch routine, and it seems like the QL Straddle and 90/90 stretch doesn't NEED to be done directly after the workout. It can be done before bed.

I've been getting into yoga recently, a good 45 mins to an hour almost every day. I've just started up S&S again, which I'll do the QL & 90/90 after training.

So I've got plenty of stretching in my weekly routine. I'm just wondering if a "head-to-toe" type stretch routine directly after a workout helps with recovery, soreness, flexibility etc - which is what I was lead to believe at school and boxing training.

I'm just wondering if a "head-to-toe" type stretch routine directly after a workout helps with recovery, soreness, flexibility etc - which is what I was lead to believe at school and boxing training.

I'll just give my opinion based on what I've gathered from sources, but apologies for the lack of citations, etc.

I don't think it's necessary, or particularly helpful with regard to recovery or soreness.

However, it can serve some useful purposes, which is why it's somewhat standard practice in group fitness settings. These may or may not apply to any one individual:
  • Ramp down the heart rate and breathing, cool the body while keeping blood circulating
  • Help bring the nervous system from sympathetic state to parasympathetic
  • Elongate muscles while they're warm and pliable
  • Practice new movements and ranges of motion
So, it gives people a "minimum effective dose" of flexibility type work, which can be helpful if that's all they're getting.

Since you get plenty of of stretching/flexibility/mobility with yoga, you should be just fine with a quick 90/90 stretch and QL straddle at the end of your S&S practice. I did yoga fairly frequently when I was doing S&S primarily, and I felt like they paired well together.

I'll just give my opinion based on what I've gathered from sources, but apologies for the lack of citations, etc.

I don't think it's necessary, or particularly helpful with regard to recovery or soreness.

However, it can serve some useful purposes, which is why it's somewhat standard practice in group fitness settings. These may or may not apply to any one individual:
  • Ramp down the heart rate and breathing, cool the body while keeping blood circulating
  • Help bring the nervous system from sympathetic state to parasympathetic
  • Elongate muscles while they're warm and pliable
  • Practice new movements and ranges of motion
So, it gives people a "minimum effective dose" of flexibility type work, which can be helpful if that's all they're getting.

Since you get plenty of of stretching/flexibility/mobility with yoga, you should be just fine with a quick 90/90 stretch and QL straddle at the end of your S&S practice. I did yoga fairly frequently when I was doing S&S primarily, and I felt like they paired well together.

That all makes sense, thanks for the great response!

I did yoga fairly frequently when I was doing S&S primarily, and I felt like they paired well together.

Yeah I agree. I spent about 6 months doing near daily S&S last year, and then I've had about a 6 month lay-off. And the past 2ish months I've been doing near daily yoga, and there's a lot of overlap with how my body feels right now and how my body felt during the first few months of S&S last year.

Just a greater feeling of proprioception and "body opening". I'm looking forward to getting benefits from both as I'm beginning to incorporate S&S back into my routine!

I've heard this quote a while ago: "lengthening is strengthening" and in my opinion it kind of makes sense. We usually contract our muscles a lot when we train and stretching them after a training session will definitely help with recovery and If I'm not mistaking Pavel mentions that in one of his books.
So I agree with stretching at the end of a training session. Not necessarily head to toe. I warm up with a head to toe mobility and end with a bit of a stretch.

Personally, I try to spend a few minutes on the floor every day, so the QL and 90-90 are baked into that. It helps since I've been working from a desk a lot more this year.

But right after S&S, since I'm already warm & loose and there's essentially no fatigue, I like to build specific flexibility. The gymnastics bridge and middle split are my focus right now. Those 10 minutes at the end of a practice session feel great.

I think there is definitely value in stretching muscles after you have spent time contracting them. yin/yang, ya know?
I personally don't notice a difference if it's either before bed, or right after a workout. There is value in doing a ramp-down right after a workout; whether that involves static stretching, is a choice.

When teaching, I always conclude with flexibility (commonly doing S&S stretches, plus a brettzel & a hip flexor stretch) because I don't trust my students to do it on their own!

I think it was in beyond Bodybuilding Pavel wrote to stretch the muscles you worked at the end of the workout and repeated that advice in a few other strength and size routines. Marty Gallagher also recommended curl variations that stretch the biceps in purposeful primitive. Those seemed to be very effective.
personally I ignored that advice for a long time and now have to work harder to regain lost mobility.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom