all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Non-Stop Swing Testing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

The Nail

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello,

Background:
I can strongly perform all sets of S&S with the 32k.
With OHS, my rest interval is about 1:45.
With TGU, my rest interval is about 4:30.

I can do this most any day, and have hit it 3 days in a row.
My focus is technique and power. Rest periods will come down naturally.

Question:
When should I mix in Non-Stop Swing Testing?

From S&S:
"Do not introduce non-stop swings into your training until your normal training weight is 24kg if you are a woman and 32kg if you are a man."

I'd say I'm ready to enjoy the pain.

Thoughts from folks who have been here before?

If you can easely perform all sets of swings with 32s, you can test yoursefl. I would do if I could. Besides, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger, indeed.

Hello,

@The Nail
I can do this most any day, and have hit it 3 days in a row
If you can do it easily and most of the time WITHOUT exhaustion, then you may try to test yourself.

On the long run, I consider that a 1:1 work to rest ratio is sustainable.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm sorry, I would like a calrification on something.

Hello,
With OHS, my rest interval is about 1:45.

Does that mean that you need 1'45" between sets of 10 one hand swings? Or does that mean that inside the 5 minutes, you only need 1'45" rest?

EDIT: of course, it might also mean something completely different from my two assumptions! :) Before giving you my point of view, I'd like to understand that.

Ah, reminds me of my very first thread here on the forum: S&S Continuous Swings -- Some good advice in there.

Everyone seems to forget about the non-stop swings day. Hardly anyone mentions doing it, even those following the S&S program by the book. My opinion is yes, start doing it once every 2 weeks. The program says to do it when 32kg is your normal training weight, and yours is. There is no time requirement for your daily training before incorporating the non-stop swings.

Does that mean that you need 1'45" between sets of 10 one hand swings?
It means when the timer goes off at 1:45, I do a set.

Hardly anyone mentions doing it
Yea, that's why I put up this thread. I figured I was on the right path. Given the lack of mentions in training logs, I thought I might of been missing something.

Thanks for the replies folks.

It means when the timer goes off at 1:45, I do a set.

Ok, now it's much better, thank you! :)

You can do it and see were you're at, it's fun and very appealing, just be careful with it and stop when you feel you completed your last good rep. I tried it a handful of times, and told myself "you're not gonna swing once when you feel fatigued", than ended up telling myself "maybe I'm not that fatigued, I can squeeze another one in" and keep going when I should have probably just set the bell... I tell you non-stop swings are addicting!

@Frank_IT that sounds like dangerously good training pain :)

And it is, but it could seriously compromise your recovery! That's why my advice is to train the day before you'd have a rest day anyways! Two birds with one stone! :D

Seriously though: you need to keep that in mind while you do unbroken sets. Also, you see I wrote "sets", not "swings". I like to keep my number even for each side, so when I did the movement unbroken I checked every set, no every rep. It's a little harder to do and you'll most definitely stop well before your capabilities, but you won't end up having performed (just for saying) 30 left arm swings and 23 right arm ones!
Counting reps, you could switch arm every swings... But I would never do that because training, for me, is also having fun!

The book never mentions how many sets of non-stop swings.. I know the reps increase, but how many sets are we supposed to do. Is it one giant set then off to TGU?

The book never mentions how many sets of non-stop swings.. I know the reps increase, but how many sets are we supposed to do. Is it one giant set then off to TGU?
It does.

Simple & Sinister summarized, 10. :
"Every two weeks take a kettlebell one ore more sizes lighter than the one you are currently swinging, and do as many swings as possible without setting the bell down. Pick any (...) is a no-count. After a brief rest, do your usual getups. Don't introduce non-stop swings..."

Multiple sets would require you to set the bell down multiple times before you go to the TGUs, so it's one big set of swings -> rest -> TGUs.

It does.

Simple & Sinister summarized, 10. :
"Every two weeks take a kettlebell one ore more sizes lighter than the one you are currently swinging, and do as many swings as possible without setting the bell down. Pick any (...) is a no-count. After a brief rest, do your usual getups. Don't introduce non-stop swings..."

Multiple sets would require you to set the bell down multiple times before you go to the TGUs, so it's one big set of swings -> rest -> TGUs.

Thank you

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom