all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG I prep after Shoulder rehab

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Roman Kladivo

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
O.K. I just finished my shoulder rehab and realized that my first SFG cert is in less than 7 months. So I tested myself and it isn´t as bad as I thought. I can comfortably pass the Get-up portion of Simple standards and I am really close to pass in swings as well. The question is...Now what?

My first though was that I should return to the program from Brett Jones SFG prep guide, but the problem is that from some reason my shoulder can not tolerate double press yet. I am fine with pressing single 20 (24 still feels little funny) for multiple sets of 5, but when I try double press with 20s or even 16s my shoulder starts screaming. I suspect that it is because my pressing groove with doubles is somewhat wrong, but I must first visit someone who can confirm this...

So my second though was using the RoP and slowly build up my strength and tolerance but than again I am not really sure if my shoulder can take such big volume of presses yet. Plus the absence of squats make me little nervous as I am not really used to the suffocating aspect of DFSQ

Then my last (at least a think its last) option is the new science based plan for SFG I / II prep. but once again there are only 3 out of 6 SFG I moves and I am not confident enough to just throw the rest 3 of them into it.

So, can anyone help me out? I really appreciate any and all advices.

Roman,
Couple of options -
A) Anywhere in the Level 1 prep that calls for double press swap that out for single MP and hit 3+3 (for example)
B) Follow the new science based plan for now and add in the other drills as part of movement prep

To go with something different I would go with option B

and get your form checked by an SFG and a movement screen ideally

@Roman Kladivo - though I've never had shoulder surgery, I have definitely struggled with shoulder mobility and failed my Level II as a result the first time. I Increased my mobility training time with thread the needles, arm bars, Brettzels, very light TGUs and LOTS of breathing (crocodile, quadruped lat stretches).
Once my mobility improved, I focused on V-seated pressing, half kneeling pressing and then bottoms up pressing (all very, very light). I kept the volume low as well initially and progressed.
As always, getting your form checked would be extremely helpful and possibly save you a lot of time as your cert is approaching. Be mindful too that you will have time to pass the standards after the cert....

Thank you both for your valuable advices. At the end of my rehab I passed FMS with no pain or disfunction although my SM score was closer to the bottom line of the 2/2 so there is definitely some room for improvement before the cert. Also I am quite lucky to live close to Pavel Macek and his school so I can visit one of their SFG instructors without much trouble.

So once again, thank you both for your advices. I will try the science based plan and see how it will work for me.

Last edited:
@Roman Kladivo, why not ask to postpone your SFG until you're completely healed and able to train fully?

-S-
Well with my current family situation I can not travel much and this one will be occurring like fifteen minutes of walking away from my house so its probably the only oportunity for me to get SFG certification in next two or three years.
Plus I always wanted to meet Fabio Zonin in person :D

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom