all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG methods of forestalling sarcopenia? What do our board members over forty years of age do?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
1. Regular resistance training and other healthy physical activity.

2. Address movement deficiencies if/when they start to occur. For example, if you can't squat, or lunge, or jump, or reach overhead, or run at least a little bit, or get up off the floor without too much difficulty.... work on that and fix it before it gets worse. That is, unless it's a hard physical restriction. Then, find the most healthy way to maintain your best capability.

This is simple yet tough condition depending on you age. I have seen several >65 years age clients at the clinic as a Physio for OA and Sarcopenia. I don't have research to back this but I feel that they are linked. No. 1 thing I always recommend is Lean Body Mass. Majority of Meta-analysis that look at reduction of all cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, falls risk and other degenerative diseases point to Lean Body Mass as being the No. 1 preventative measure.

This obviously doesn't mean that we need to start doing Body Building training 6 times a week, albeit that's not bad either. You are in the right place, IMO. Setting up a progressive resistance training plan that increases strength coupled with a sensible eating plan will help you tremendously.

You haven't mentioned your age??

I would go see a professional personally and check technique of the foundational movements, create a structured plan that YOU can hit consistently over the next few years and then also figure out your nutrition.

If you are over 50, most people I have seen do fine with something such as an Easy Strength-esque and Weighted walking program that focuses on anything unique an individual needs to work on as well. For eg. I had a lady who had OA but also had had a stroke so one of her major focuses is Gait/locomotion. Her primary movements were very focused on carries and unilateral carries.
You might have something different that you wish to work on but:

TLDR: See a professional for below:
1. Sensible eating plan
2. Daily walking program
3. A progressive resistance training plan that addresses your needs.

Methods will vary but as humans adapt continuously to stimulus things like stress reduction, sleep, diet, physical activity etc must be addressed, even if not mentioned in some plans.

I can't believe it, but I'm already getting closer to being 48.

My Steak & Potatoes: Full-body workouts 3x/week (30-45 minutes each) (y)

That has been my staple for the last 15 years.

I work in four-week phases with a slightly different emphasis each time. Some are more strength based (current four-week phase), some are more hypertrophy (last four weeks), and others are a mix (next phase).

I'll usually perform 1-2 additional days of other stuff depending on how I feel.

Throughout the year, I'll add some specific training on the days between my full-body workouts: Murph Challenge Training, Q&D, etc.

For example, right now I'm performing my three full-body workouts (Mon, Wed, Fri), and I've just gone back to using Q&D 2x/week. And I may go for a hike/walk once a week.

Reactions: Ege
This obviously doesn't mean that we need to start doing Body Building training 6 times a week, albeit that's not bad either.

I'm in the process of bumping my resistance training from 3 to 4 days a week.

I last did that in my mid-40s and was doubtful if I could recover from 4 days a week at age 52, but so far, as I'm easing into it instead of going ham, I'm adapting okay.

I just have to be a bit clever about axial loading sequencing; the new '4th day' has little to none, vs axial loading every day for the other 3 days.

I'm a bit surprised it's working, TBH.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of bumping my resistance training from 3 to 4 days a week.

I last did that in my mid-40s and was doubtful if I could recover from 4 days a week at age 52, but so far, as I'm easing into it instead of going ham, I'm adapting okay.

I just have to be a bit clever about axial loading sequencing; the new '4th day' has little to none, vs axial loading every day for the other 3 days.

I'm a bit surprised it's working, TBH.

Last time I went to a 5-6 day rotation everything did OK but my legs. They kept up in training but were low grade sore 24/7.

Last time I went to a 5-6 day rotation everything did OK but my legs. They kept up in training but were low grade sore 24/7.

Interesting. I guess I'm the opposite?

I'm adding more volume now that I'm out of the higher intensity strength / power phase and into hypertrophy (lower intensity, more volume), 3 days a week just isn't enough stress to get my legs and butt to grow.

Although not truly surprising, I guess, given that both weightlifting and rowing are very leg / butt dominant, so they're already adapted to a lot of work.

My 4th day is solely butt, hams, and erectors.

Interesting. I guess I'm the opposite?

I'm adding more volume now that I'm out of the higher intensity strength / power phase and into hypertrophy (lower intensity, more volume), 3 days a week just isn't enough stress to get my legs and butt to grow.

Although not truly surprising, I guess, given that both weightlifting and rowing are very leg / butt dominant, so they're already adapted to a lot of work.

My 4th day is solely butt, hams, and erectors.

I was doing a full body 3 day split and cutting it in half. Increased the volume only about 15-20% but for whatever reason it wiped my legs out even though every day was only one exercise and seesawed between big and accessory.

Currently am a bit surprised to still be getting mileage from the isometric approach, esp in my legs. Actually have visible striation lines in my vastus medialus - never seen that before.

Actually have visible striation lines in my vastus medialus - never seen that before.

I'm starting to see those, too, 3 weeks into 20 degree wedge front squats.

9 more weeks of those to go, so this could be interesting, as long as my knees don't mutiny, but initial patellar irritation has already gone way down.

Most experts that I know, recommends hyperthropy training.

But I believe when you are strong you have enough muscle to maintain your health, genetically this might mean a lot of muscle for some and less muscle for others.

So I just think like Steve does. Just lift weights to get stronger.

I would love to learn Pavel’s thoughts on this. He might be the only person whom ideas can convince me to do Hypertrophy work, but even then SF style strength work is so much more fun than hypertrophy training, that I might just not do hyperthrophy.

Most experts that I know, recommends hyperthropy training.

But I believe when you are strong you have enough muscle to maintain your health, genetically this might mean a lot of muscle for some and less muscle for others.

So I just think like Steve does. Just lift weights to get stronger.

I would love to learn Pavel’s thoughts on this. He might be the only person whom ideas can convince me to do Hypertrophy work, but even then SF style strength work is so much more fun than hypertrophy training, that I might just not do hyperthrophy.

My hypertrophy programming doesn’t look much like the traditional BB stuff anymore. Clusters are a great way to go if you want to fine tune strength and hypertrophy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom