all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG methods of forestalling sarcopenia? What do our board members over forty years of age do?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My hypertrophy programming doesn’t look much like the traditional BB stuff anymore. Clusters are a great way to go if you want to fine tune strength and hypertrophy.

The amount of Venn diagram overlap between research-validated hypertrophy practices and bodybuilding practices is a pretty interesting discussion.

It's definitely not zero overlap, but it's not 100%, either.

A good approach is to keep building lifts and skills the StrongFirst way as your main focus but use higher rep accessory exercises as finishers to work on imbalances, weaknesses, or to support your main lifts: grip, forearms, arms calves, rear delts, core, Use different rep ranges. I do back extensions after deadlift workouts. If you find you are reaching a plateau, switch it up with hypertrophy work for a couple of weeks then come back. Cycle through skill, endurance, hypertrophy work, weight management, over the course of a year. For example, I have a pull imbalance at the moment with Deadlift and pullups focus, and sufficient vertical pressing, so I am going to do more pushups and dumbell chest presses or bench press, horizontal push this summer in addition to weight management. I wonder if it is a factor in difficulty getting close to the bar for tactical pullups. In short, hypertrophy work can be used as a means to an end to increase its efficiency.

Train hard and eat real food. I’m 43 now and don’t feel any less solid for it. I’m definitely the worst dude in my judo class but everyone tells me I’m solid and require a bit of shifting. It’s all kettlebells, running and callisthenics these days and 16:8 fasting. I think when we think of sarcopenia as we age we seem to forget that there are folk out there who literally do not strain themselves, ever, unless it’s walking to the fridge and I’m not being uncharitable here. The vast majority of people are not vehicles of survival even in the vaguest sense. I know folk wasting away at 30 and it is wilful “me not like strain, me like comfort” that is the source and summit of all their woes. Live a physical life and you’ll be golden.

Age 72, early January I went ketovore (meat based keto) then full carnivore. With same training I experienced a dramatic change for the better in my body composition, increased muscle density, some small size increase well beyond expected. Also, once fat adapted, the ability to go harder and not get tired and much less DOMS. The experiment continues because many health issues from mild to a bit scary had dramatically improved or been eliminated completely!

This is simple yet tough condition depending on you age. I have seen several >65 years age clients at the clinic as a Physio for OA and Sarcopenia. I don't have research to back this but I feel that they are linked. No. 1 thing I always recommend is Lean Body Mass. Majority of Meta-analysis that look at reduction of all cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, falls risk and other degenerative diseases point to Lean Body Mass as being the No. 1 preventative measure.

This obviously doesn't mean that we need to start doing Body Building training 6 times a week, albeit that's not bad either. You are in the right place, IMO. Setting up a progressive resistance training plan that increases strength coupled with a sensible eating plan will help you tremendously.

You haven't mentioned your age??

I would go see a professional personally and check technique of the foundational movements, create a structured plan that YOU can hit consistently over the next few years and then also figure out your nutrition.

If you are over 50, most people I have seen do fine with something such as an Easy Strength-esque and Weighted walking program that focuses on anything unique an individual needs to work on as well. For eg. I had a lady who had OA but also had had a stroke so one of her major focuses is Gait/locomotion. Her primary movements were very focused on carries and unilateral carries.
You might have something different that you wish to work on but:

TLDR: See a professional for below:
1. Sensible eating plan
2. Daily walking program
3. A progressive resistance training plan that addresses your needs.
I turned 55 June 15th,

Reactions: Kev
What is "your" carnivore diets actually ?
I read it consists only animal foods (meat, fish, eggs, some dairy) but it lacks some nutrients contained in other types of aliments...
I'd appreciate ff you could enlighten me @Girevik67 @GeoffreyLevens :)

I read it consists only animal foods (meat, fish, eggs, some dairy) but it lacks some nutrients contained in other types of aliments...
Mostly beef, eggs Liver at this point. Salt and pepper for seasoning. No alcohol, no caffeine. I follow Dr. Shawn Baker's guidelines in his book "The Carnivore Diet. Plus I only eat once daily at 1600 every day. My bllod work showed positive changes 8 weeks after I began this diet.

Train hard and eat real food. I’m 43 now and don’t feel any less solid for it. I’m definitely the worst dude in my judo class but everyone tells me I’m solid and require a bit of shifting. It’s all kettlebells, running and callisthenics these days and 16:8 fasting. I think when we think of sarcopenia as we age we seem to forget that there are folk out there who literally do not strain themselves, ever, unless it’s walking to the fridge and I’m not being uncharitable here. The vast majority of people are not vehicles of survival even in the vaguest sense. I know folk wasting away at 30 and it is wilful “me not like strain, me like comfort” that is the source and summit of all their woes. Live a physical life and you’ll be golden.
I agree completely.

Reactions: Ege
My hypertrophy programming doesn’t look much like the traditional BB stuff anymore. Clusters are a great way to go if you want to fine tune strength and hypertrophy.

If you don't know the name, check out Chris Beardsley - great info and I believe he has some articles on his Medium page regarding hypertrophy and clusters

I think when we think of sarcopenia as we age we seem to forget that there are folk out there who literally do not strain themselves, ever, unless it’s walking to the fridge and I’m not being uncharitable here. The vast majority of people are not vehicles of survival even in the vaguest sense. I know folk wasting away at 30 and it is wilful “me not like strain, me like comfort” that is the source and summit of all their woes. Live a physical life and you’ll be golden.
May not be too politically correct either, but I think often of the phrase "there are 2 kinds of people: useful, and useless".

I did the carnivore diet for a lunar month. The reason for that will be explained later. The diet was fun at first. I seemed to fall in love with offal which I could begrudgingly eat at best. I discovered raw oysters and they are so amazing that I no longer care for mussels. I was admonished a few times in work for calling out “carbs! Carbs carbs” whenever anyone cooked bagels or bread. Now, and I’m not being crude, at first I found my toilet visits rather hilarious. I’m a crude person and I find toilet humour quite funny. However “disaster pants” as the author calls it, didn’t go away after 12 days and that’s what broke me man. I did 28 days and frankly not being able to safely break wind without sitting on the Johannes Krapper got a bit annoying to say the least. On day 28 I went home and cooked a stew with vegetables and it was all kinds of awesome. That’s was almost 2 years ago. I have rarely since eaten a steak I’ve enjoyed. If it works for you more power to you but I like fruit and potatoes and other such stuff.

I'm 58 and for decades have been doing what I did yesterday or the day or two before. I used to give a hard 5 days a week, now it's dropped to 4 and occasionally 3.

Mostly 32kg snatching and rucking. My safety squat bar should be arriving today or tomorrow, so I will be squatting more in hopes of gaining more visible legs.

A lot of protein and some vegetables. I have added a bit more fruit lately and non-homogenized, "cream line" milk (milk and fat are separated, thus the milk requires shaking) a few mornings in my coffee.

I also absolutely love liver and eat a lot of venison. Deer liver is one of my absolute favorite foods of any kind.

I usually eat one meal ~6:00 p.m. It's often ~ 2 lbs of meat with a mango or apple or two.

Last edited:
Mostly beef, eggs Liver at this point. Salt and pepper for seasoning. No alcohol, no caffeine. I follow Dr. Shawn Baker's guidelines in his book "The Carnivore Diet. Plus I only eat once daily at 1600 every day. My bllod work showed positive changes 8 weeks after I began this diet.
For me mostly beef, some eggs, some sardines, sometimes chicken though it's not fat enough and pork rarely. Cows, sheep, bison, deer, elk, have much better essential fatty acid ratio than even pasture raised poultry and pigs. Not a deal breaker but better is better. I still am getting obvious physical healing benefits so will continue. Plan is to re-evaluate in the fall and maybe add back some carbs.

I did 28 days and frankly not being able to safely break wind without sitting on the Johannes Krapper got a bit annoying to say the least.
Almost everyone gets the runs for a few weeks though some do need longer for their liver to adapt to producing enough bile to deal with all the fat. #1 rule for the diet is "NEVER trust a ^*#%!"

For me mostly beef, some eggs, some sardines, sometimes chicken though it's not fat enough and pork rarely. Cows, sheep, bison, deer, elk, have much better essential fatty acid ratio than even pasture raised poultry and pigs. Not a deal breaker but better is better. I still am getting obvious physical healing benefits so will continue. Plan is to re-evaluate in the fall and maybe add back some carbs.

Almost everyone gets the runs for a few weeks though some do need longer for their liver to adapt to producing enough bile to deal with all the fat. #1 rule for the diet is "NEVER trust a ^*#%!"
I do 16:8 now. I like a bit of carbs as I’m running a lot these days and I’m not going down the whole fat adaptation and you’ll have abundant energy route. I played with paleo/primal for a fortnight there and all my runs turned to utter dog turd. From a full on hour without stopping to having to stop a few times. Back on 16:8 and I’m motoring along brilliantly. I am famous for saying if we are meant to eat 5 pieces of fruit and veg a day I want you to find these for me on tundra and I buy the idea that we are meat heavy carnivores just like Ray Audette said but I’m not up for that toilet experience again. Maybe if I lived on tundra and could just blast it on to the perma frost by means of lifting my kilt but not in civilised (so called) society. Lol

Age 72, early January I went ketovore (meat based keto) then full carnivore. With same training I experienced a dramatic change for the better in my body composition, increased muscle density, some small size increase well beyond expected. Also, once fat adapted, the ability to go harder and not get tired and much less DOMS. The experiment continues because many health issues from mild to a bit scary had dramatically improved or been eliminated completely!
I went animal based a year ago due to autoimmune issues and feel so much better. I still enjoy some fruit and potatoes occasionally but no processed foods lots of meat, lots of grass fed ribeyes and bison tenderloins,eggs, organic raw butter fat, beef tallow is my main oil source, and I eat liver and bone marrow almost daily….I do have a sweet tooth and feel best incorporating fruit as well but man going meat based has changed my life big time. No more asthma, no more stomach aches, waaaay less migraines, and I’m transforming my physique. Everybody keeps saying eating ribeyes every day is going to kill me but nobody seem to care when I was drinking sodas every day. People were literally telling me it’s bad to eat red meat every day as I watch them suck down a rockstar energy drink with a bag of potato chips

I went animal based a year ago due to autoimmune issues and feel so much better. I still enjoy some fruit and potatoes occasionally but no processed foods lots of meat, lots of grass fed ribeyes and bison tenderloins,eggs, organic raw butter fat, beef tallow is my main oil source, and I eat liver and bone marrow almost daily….I do have a sweet tooth and feel best incorporating fruit as well but man going meat based has changed my life big time. No more asthma, no more stomach aches, waaaay less migraines, and I’m transforming my physique. Everybody keeps saying eating ribeyes every day is going to kill me but nobody seem to care when I was drinking sodas every day. People were literally telling me it’s bad to eat red meat every day as I watch them suck down a rockstar energy drink with a bag of potato chips
I knew a guy who would admonish me for eating whole eggs as he ate crisps (Potato chips) and drank gallons of soda. It’s absurd that someone can waddle into a doctors and get a clean bill of health but if you lift and generally live a physical life you can get crap for eating eggs and steaks lol. It’s beyond absurd and it’s why I don’t listen to any of it. Every nutritionist I’ve met would make an excellent extra in a zombie movie.

There’s not a whole lot you can’t get from animal foods when it comes to vitamins and minerals do the most bioavailable source around. There are many vegetables and plant foods who contain certain vitamins but they exist in a form that humans cannot absorb easily. Where is when you eat a piece of beef liver you’re absorbing a lot of those nutrients especially if he eaten with some other source of fat soluble vitamin like butter.

I knew a guy who would admonish me for eating whole eggs as he ate crisps (Potato chips) and drank gallons of soda. It’s absurd that someone can waddle into a doctors and get a clean bill of health but if you lift and generally live a physical life you can get crap for eating eggs and steaks lol. It’s beyond absurd and it’s why I don’t listen to any of it. Every nutritionist I’ve met would make an excellent extra in a zombie movie.
I used to fear red meat …as much as I loved it I would limit it as much as possible because of what the doctors/media told me. But I always felt so crappy dealing with auto immune I was on all sorts of medication. I finally decided to try carnivore and within two weeks I feel better and not a little bit better significantly. I just have a hard time believing that I feel so great now compared to before… that it could be worse for me eating meat and eggs every day. If I can live a life without medication like I currently am but I have to eat red meat every day then I’m gonna do it… I was regularly on asthma medication all the time constantly taking heartburn pills always having to run to the bathroom always needing migraine medicine now I’m basically medication free

Are used to fear read me as much as I loved it I would limit it as much as possible because of the doctors told me. But I always felt so crappy dealing with auto immune I was on all sorts of medication. I finally decided to try carnivore and within two weeks I feel better and not a little bit better significantly. I just have a hard time believing that I feel so great now compared to before… that it could be worse for me eating meat and eggs every day.
Let food be thy medicine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom