all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Should you do more reps if using dumbbells with 50/20 program?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Vulcan300

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello all,

I've been doing the 50/20 program for awhile (although not always consistently) as my sole training program. I've been doing sandbag clean and presses for two days a week and sandbag zercher squats for two days a week. This week I've stopped using the sandbag for clean and presses (still do sandbag zercher squats though) as it was hurting my hands and started using double dumbbells. The problem is that I don't think the dumbbells give as much of a workout in comparison to sandbags. I was wondering if doing a 50/20 compound lift with dumbbells (or kettlebells, I suppose) will require more than 50 reps compared to when using a sandbag or barbell?

Thank you

Hello all,

I've been doing the 50/20 program for awhile (although not always consistently) as my sole training program. I've been doing sandbag clean and presses for two days a week and sandbag zercher squats for two days a week. This week I've stopped using the sandbag for clean and presses (still do sandbag zercher squats though) as it was hurting my hands and started using double dumbbells. The problem is that I don't think the dumbbells give as much of a workout in comparison to sandbags. I was wondering if doing a 50/20 compound lift with dumbbells (or kettlebells, I suppose) will require more than 50 reps compared to when using a sandbag or barbell?

Thank you
Once you hit 50 reps in 20 minute, follow the progression (add 5-10% more). If you don’t have dumbbells that work to do that, you may need to get up to 60-70 reps to make bigger jumps.

If you feel like you need more conditioning, do that separately from the 50/20 progression.

Hello all,

Thank you
Wow. You're a far better man than I am. Doing the 50/20 with 2 dumbbells in the clean and press crushed me but good!

Once you hit 50 reps in 20 minute, follow the progression (add 5-10% more). If you don’t have dumbbells that work to do that, you may need to get up to 60-70 reps to make bigger jumps.

If you feel like you need more conditioning, do that separately from the 50/20 progression.
So you think if I have enough plates, reaching 50 reps and then increasing weight is better than maybe going to 60-65 reps and then increasing weight?

Also, do you think 50/20 is enough to satisfy most people's conditioning needs?

Wow. You're a far better man than I am. Doing the 50/20 with 2 dumbbells in the clean and press crushed me but good!
Haha I haven't done it enough to know if it'll crush me yet, but one problem I'm running into is sweat. I sweat alot doing 50/20, but it was not much of a problem when using my homemade canvas sandbag. With dumbbells, though, I fear that once I up my reps, my hands will start slipping.

Also, do you think dumbbell clean and press provides more benefits compared to sandbag clean and press? I imagine dumbbells would be good for unilateral strength, but sandbags would improve grip strength, allow you to use more weight, and perhaps give you more real world functional strength.

Haha I haven't done it enough to know if it'll crush me yet, but one problem I'm running into is sweat. I sweat alot doing 50/20, but it was not much of a problem when using my homemade canvas sandbag. With dumbbells, though, I fear that once I up my reps, my hands will start slipping.

Also, do you think dumbbell clean and press provides more benefits compared to sandbag clean and press? I imagine dumbbells would be good for unilateral strength, but sandbags would improve grip strength, allow you to use more weight, and perhaps give you more real world functional strength.
I think all forms of c+p work!

So you think if I have enough plates, reaching 50 reps and then increasing weight is better than maybe going to 60-65 reps and then increasing weight?
I can argue for value either way, but if you start at 30 reps with a 10RM and build up to 50 reps, is the juice worth the squeeze to get to 65 or 70 reps compared to adding 5-10% and restarting at 25-30 reps? If it is worth it to you, rock on. I'd err on adding weight, as for me lifting is primarily about strength training.

Also, do you think 50/20 is enough to satisfy most people's conditioning needs?
It depends - "conditioning needs" are highly variable based on what YOU want to be able to do. I personally don't think 50/20 replaces other conditioning work.

I can argue for value either way, but if you start at 30 reps with a 10RM and build up to 50 reps, is the juice worth the squeeze to get to 65 or 70 reps compared to adding 5-10% and restarting at 25-30 reps? If it is worth it to you, rock on. I'd err on adding weight, as for me lifting is primarily about strength training.

It depends - "conditioning needs" are highly variable based on what YOU want to be able to do. I personally don't think 50/20 replaces other conditioning work.
I agree with you sir!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom