Shoulder health: TGU vs Clean & Press.

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
Is either exercise better for developing shoulder mobility and health? Or are Turkish Get Ups and Clean & Presses pretty much the same in that regard?

If you had any shoulder pain/mobility issues, would you choose one over the other?

Thanks.

Trever

Level 4 Valued Member
For me personally, I think TGU helped me get through some impingement and mobility problems. It allowed me to slowly work through those painful sticky parts in the range of motion, while having a load on the shoulder.
But, I also think the Ballistic moves like snatching and cleans helped even out the strength imbalances in my shoulders that probably caused the impingements in the first place.

Mark Limbaga

Level 7 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
To answer your question

1. Depends on the trainee since certain exercises we can handle a given amount of volume and load

2. In relation to #1 I prefer getups

Adam R Mundorf

Level 5 Valued Member
If I had shoulder pain, I'd definitely use the Turkish Get Up. It's such a slow movement that it allows you to adjust and analyze every aspect of the movement. Plus it really teaches you about how to move your body around a stable shoulder.

barrak

Level 5 Valued Member
Is either exercise better for developing shoulder mobility and health? Or are Turkish Get Ups and Clean & Presses pretty much the same in that regard?

If you had any shoulder pain/mobility issues, would you choose one over the other?

Thanks.

If you mean which allows you to work around a problematic shoulder, then from my experience it is the TGU. Oddly enough, so is the snatch for me.

If you mean which will help fix such a shoulder, then neither did for me. A daily diet of dead hangs was/is the ticket for me.

Top Bottom