all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Sinister or Beast Tamer, which first?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sorry @Ben Bradbury, I missed earlier that you're Elite already. So you're pretty far along.

Sounds like Sinister is closer, and tempting you!

My suggestion, maybe a 2 year timeline:
  • 6 months of barbell strength training and slight caloric surplus to add another 5kg of muscle to your frame
  • 6-12 months of S&S (modified as needed for your specific needs) to Sinister
  • 3 months barbell strength plus weighted pull-ups
  • 9 months specific Beast Tamer training to BT

That sounds like a pretty solid plan Anna,
I secretly wanted to do a decent block of training to add some strength (and size, but wondered if I was just being vein and if it was essential for pursuing Sinister).

Is there any particular barbell plan you'd suggest for this?

That sounds like a pretty solid plan Anna,
I secretly wanted to do a decent block of training to add some strength (and size, but wondered if I was just being vein and if it was essential for pursuing Sinister).

Is there any particular barbell plan you'd suggest for this?

Yes, I think it would serve you well. More muscle mass means more sarcomeres (contractile units), but also, quite importantly, will favorably improve your leverage in moving weight. I suspect this will especially help with Beast Tamer (less so with Sinister), just theorizing.

As for a Barbell plan, my best advice is to find and hire a great strength coach, and do what they tell you! Seriously, this will get you to your goals faster and more effectively than any program. But if you want to coach yourself and follow a program, I am honestly not sure what program would work best for you at this stage. Within StrongFirst: There are some options in your SFL manual, including modified PTTP. There are Plan Strong custom plans. There is "Reload". Beyond StrongFirst: there is Starting Strength, 5/3/1, Greyskull, StrongLifts 5x5, and Barbell Medicine has some great templates. Just some ideas...

But seriosly, think about the coach option... "Every coach needs a coach." - Senior SFG Derek Toshner.

1581696893733.png

Last edited:
Always great reading these types of threads. I read the original post and have a clear answer based off my own experience and assumptions, once I have read done a few posts instantly I'm questioning my own reasoning and being reminded other people are not me - we all have our own strengths and weaknesses and therefore the answer is very dependent upon their current physical and mental position.

Personally I couldn't imagine being able to press a weight that I couldn't do ten get ups on ten minutes with - but instantly see others would be the opposite.

Very different goals for both but as has been seen many times on the site blocks of focus always seem to work well - two or three months doing one, followed by the other alternating and allowing phase potentiation to help you keep progressing in both would be my view point

Thank you for a input all.
It seems I have a little longer to ruminate on the options and put together a plan courtesy of a broken finger from Jiu Jitsu this weekend which means I cant grip anything for a few weeks.

I guess I’ll practise some Zercher squats and press ups off handles in the time being

Attachments

• 7F4B7BC1-643D-4E75-9757-4F423FC32811.jpeg
    7F4B7BC1-643D-4E75-9757-4F423FC32811.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 9
Personally I would say Beast Tamer. I can do 100 one arm swings with 48, not in 5mins but it would not take too long ...
But Beast Tamer seems very hard for me right now. I would say if you own sinister it would not take too long to own beast tamer and vice versa

Maybe you could work on them simultaneously, being careful to wave intensity and take rest days. Practice grinds for swings on Monday, go for walk in the sun on Tuesday , some strong singles or doubles on pull ups on Wed. That type of thing.
Heck of a goal. Will need to come up with a new name for the savages that are Sinister Beast Tamers.

I'm aware that the title of this post may appear arrogant, believe me, it honestly isn't meant to be so.

I have ambitions to achieve both Sinister and tame the Beast within my lifetime.
I have to admit that I am not close to either at the moment, so before I patiently start out on what could be a long road of focused training (followed by a second), I wondered;
Which order do people think these achievements are best attainted in?

Does the acquisition of one more favourably set one up for achieving the next?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
I say primarily focus on strength. If you achieve a 48kg press wouldn't that automatically benefit a 48kg TGU? Wouldn't the strength gained on the road to Beast Tamer translate to improved performance in swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom