all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Squat goals

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What are renegade pistols?

I can actually do pistols with a perfectly flat back. I managed to do a pistol with the beast last year on both legs but I found they made my knees ache.

as far as I can tell from google, it's switching legs at the bottom, but it seems a hard copy may be necessary for a definitive answer :)

I just wanted to throw out there that I'm currently doing loaded skater squats (aka air lunge) as my main squat movement. Skater squats have much lower mobility requirements than pistols. If you want a more upright torso and stability, Bulgarian split squat and regular lunges. (One downside of these variations is that you don't go below parallel, but I do them while standing on a ream of paper or two, which solves this problem. This works with BSS, too, and if you're confident the block won't slip, it also works for rear lunges.)

side note: I read in TNW that Pavel doesn't recommend loading the "airborne lunge," but doesn't say why. (I am particularly confounded b/c my kindle version of the book seems to have the airborne lunge section left out, so I don't even know if the exercise I know as the air lunge is the same one described in the book. Also mentioned but not covered are renegade pistols, and fire in the hole pistols.) I've not been doing them for many years and I'm not a coach; I can only say that the exercise feels great to me. The only risk I can imagine is low-back stress due to lumbar flexion at the bottom, but afaict there's more low-back flexion with pistols, so I'm at a loss.

I'm a big fan of loaded skaters, to me it feels like a lot more useful movement pattern than pistols.

Pistols still being a good exercise, but loading them up makes my knees hurt.

seems like the clean is going to limit you more than the legs
These two should be read together. When Donnie made his statement that front squats with 2x40 were "hard," I immediately thought that it was hard due to the stabilization demands on the midsection. These demands are greater with kettlebells because the center of gravity is further out (slightly) than for barbell front squats. The upper back also works very hard to keep the rack high and prevent the upper back from rounding forward, which would result in dumping the bar if a barbell is used.

How many of you are able to do a double clean and then NOT be able to squat them for reps?

Apparently nobody.

The two replies have been about how the position of the KBs makes the reps harder than the weight would suggest. So for some people the clean does not limit them as much as other things - but the legs still aren't getting named as the issue.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom