all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strength Aerobics Kettlebell Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sizzlefuzz

Level 6 Valued Member
So, I listened to the episode of the StrongFirst Podcast with Brett Jones (@Brett Jones ) and was interested with his discussion of the "Strength Aerobics" routine: Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT | StrongFirst

I'm going to give the kettlebell circuit a try sometime this week:

1 left-hand clean
1 left-hand military press
1 left-hand front squat (change stance if needed before squatting)
Park the bell
Shake off the tension with “fast and loose” drills
Repeat on the right.​

The question I have is what the "goal" of the session itself is?

I understand the article says the following: “Conditioning” is a very vague term — and it is for the better, given the scientists’ lack of understanding of endurance, its different facets, and the variables affecting it.

At this point, I'm thinking the only way to figure out the "goal" for the session is to grab a 24 or 28kg kettlebell & give it a run myself and see what happens.

Beyond that, I was thinking about using a timer to go for a round every 30 seconds & just "seeing how it goes". Wasn't sure what other aspects of timing to consider. EMOM seems too conservative to me, but maybe that goes back to my misunderstanding of the "goal" that I mentioned before.

Strength-endurance or, put in layman’s terms: farmer strength. Which is one of the best things you could do to improve your game on the mat.

The goal is a good sustained workload - overall you should be in a moderate heart rate response through the session etc...
I've done many many versions of the Strength Aerobics session - keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

Lately I’ve done it with 2x16 (~10RM press) with snatch-press-clean-squat at the top of each minute for 20-25 minutes. Keeps my heart rate up to a moderate level, but still aerobic (I could carry on a conversation at all points except the lifts themselves), but little muscular fatigue. I find it more enjoyable and time efficient than a jog for twice the time.

I would say the goal is to accumulate a significant volume of time under tension, coupled with a significant volume of time in a state of increased aerobic metabolism. Do that on most days, embrace the process of pursuing perfection, and see where it takes you in a year or five...;)

Thank you for the valuable reading material on the subject @Brett Jones. I just completed 40 mins (EMOM) w/ 28kg, next time I will go for 20-30 with 32kg. I used your version you mentioned where the snatch is added at the end. It was very enjoyable. For my fast & loose I basically just moved around and did some shadowboxing/wrestling stuff to keep it moving.

Overall, I think this is a great session to use to "upgrade the software without damaging the hardware" as well.

Oops, meant to post that in my training log!
If there are posts you'd like moved, please PM me with links to both the source and destination threads, and the message number(s) in the source thread.

Thanks.

-S-

I took a 24kg and did:
Clean
Push Press
Front Squat
Every 30 sec for 20 min.
I had planned to do S&S with the 32kg, but holiday plans changed, and could only bring one bell, also TGU wont be a reliable option most days. So tried the PP version of SA and it feels really good. Can change the tempo and duration depending on how I feel. Will be interesting to see how much it will impact my S&S when I get home to the 32kg.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom