all posts post new thread

Barbell Stronglifts 5x5 - Squats

• Thread starter Deleted member 6651
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 6651

Hello,

just curious about whats happening. Last week and a half i have been sore doing squats.

The top of my legs feel fine, its the area in the groind, like when you do splits far enough sideways its right in that spot.

Is that normal or am i doing something wrong?

My feet are shoulder width appart pointing out a little. My knees on way down do follow the feet so i end up sitting between my knees... so form is right far as i can tell...

what do i do... take a week off or just keep going... ive failed twice already, its gonna fail 3rd time on friday then il be taking 2.5kg off next week as a deload due to 3 failures...

i feel as though i could succeed if it wasnt for that inside muscle thing. As said the tops of my legs feel fine, its the muscle or whatever it is where groind is thats making me not able to do it.

Is that muscle supposed to be used and just needs to get stronger like the top part of leg or what?

How long have you been doing the squats? Is the muscle just sore or does it actually feel bad? Have you changed your stance lately and how did you come to the width and foot angle? Do you have the weight on your whole foot for the whole time of the lift, like toes spread, on big toe, little toe and heel?

You're failing the lift because of that muscle? If it's already happened twice I would take some time off the linear progression, like a week or two, and do only some recreational squats. Maybe do some prying squats, either goblet style or with the bar on your back.

I've had some nasty soreness in my inner thighs when I've gone very wide. It was very apparent when I first started training sumo deadlifts. It lasted for some weeks and then went away and never came back. Just time and prying bodyweight squats, for time, throughout the day, helped me. But that's just me.

How much weight? Low bar or high bar? You feel this soreness during squats, or afterwards like DOMS? A video of your squat would help a lot.

@G-man I had a similar experience. Stronglifts 5x5 was my first attempt at squatting with a barbell and after good initial progress I developed groin pain, particularly on one side mine felt very deep in the joint though rather than just a muscle.

Just some thoughts -
1) I'm in my 40s and I think 5x5 squats 3 days a week were just too much volume for me on a linear progression and I think I developed a bit of a muscle strain.
2) Warm-up seemed critical for me for the squat - prying goblet squats and tactical frogs helped loosen me up before each session
3) maybe try a couple more sets of empty bar before loading up to working weight.
4) find a coach to assess your squat - I think it's a difficult lift to do safely on your own - it's hard to know when your spine is straight, depth good etc.

Just in general, maybe back off a little bit, my soreness was only when I was squatting and didn't persist into day to day life and gradually wore off as I lessened squatting amount so I view it as lesson learned, no harm done.

I think if the pain / weakness in a specific muscle / joint is causing you to fail then that is a recipe for an injury. I would consider the 2.5 kg deload, focus on warming up better and consider dropping the volume to something more starting strength like - 3 x 5 or 5x5 but only ramping up to one set at the top weight.

When I squat I get the same soreness in the same area, glutes as well. I use a moderate width, low bar squat stance. Soreness isn't uncommon if its something you don't do often. I have fairly tight hamstrings and I believe that is what contributes to my soreness since I tend to squat well below my hip crease being well below my knees. When I concentrate on not dropping so far below parallel I don't have as much as a problem.

I Started about 5-6 weeks ago with an empty 20kg bar. Now I am up to 55kg.

The pain is like... how do I say... I can still lift... but only a few then I can't get up. Later during the day, when I walk, if i try to take 'long' steps, then I feel the soreness in there. When I wake up in the morning and go to roll over in bed... the movement of trying to 'sit-up' (and roll to side) puts strain on that area and again I feel it. Kinda like if you never did situps in your life, do a 100 of them, next day you cant even get out of bed from that type of soreness.

Don't know how else to explain it.

I started being like that when I got to 45kg, now im pushing through just to do the program as stated... but, yeah, today is my last attempt at 55kg, then deload if fail and Im pretty sure its gonna be fail. Just wondered if thats normal or not as in... is that part of the leg supposed to even be working?

Yes my feet are flat on the floor, I push through my heals etc... and that puts more weight near the hip area.. how do I say... If I lean forward more (on the foot that is)... I feel weight transfer closer to the knee and more above the quads close to knee area... if I keep everything straight and push through heals, then the weight seems to feel closer to where your leg bends in groind area... like that close to hip instead... - so top of the leg rather than bottom where knee is.

I think we'd have to see your squat form, or we're just guessing.

5x5 is a lot though. I've been doing 3x5 squats for months with no soreness even with increasing weights. Just went to 5x5 one day per week. Guess what followed, DOMS...

@G-man unless you have a v. low body weight then that isn't a huge amount of weight - I wonder if you've picked up an injury from overuse in an exercise that is new to you.

Maybe take a few weeks off squatting but proceed with the other exercises, while you heal. Then come back to squats but re-introduce them gradually

@G-man unless you have a v. low body weight then that isn't a huge amount of weight - I wonder if you've picked up an injury from overuse in an exercise that is new to you.

Maybe take a few weeks off squatting but proceed with the other exercises, while you heal. Then come back to squats but re-introduce them gradually

My body weight is about 72-73kg. Non physical lifestyle. Not sure if it is an injury, it didn't feel like an injury. It felt more like... how to say... say you never did landscaping in your life and your a small build, not physically active, you turn up to work for the first day and you are given a shovel to dig holes all day. You do the work, you go home, go to bed. Once you wake up in the morning... you cant move, everything feels sore/painful like bruised or something, and adding any stress of the same sort makes it feel bad and prevents you doing the same sort of load you did before.

That is basically how it felt to me. Started with 20kg Squats, moved up to 22.5, then 25, then 27.5 etc. Once it got to 40, it started feeling a little 'sore' in the groin. I got to 45, it felt more sore, but i still managed to do the squats without a problem. Once I got to the 55kg it was too sore to do.

Anyway I took this week off, and it feels much better. That soreness is gone almost completely.

Next week when I get back into it... since I was at 55kg on squats... what should I do... start at 50 (so 2 loads back considering each time you do it successfully you add 2.5kg) or should I go 4 loads back to 45kg and then add 2.5 each time from there?

What about my deadlift, bench etc... I took a week off... should I try stick with them where I was at, or just go back 1 load (2.5kg) and if good then by 2nd workout will be back to where I was before I took the week off... or should I take them 2-3 loads back as well like squat... ?

William Bad Butt - Low or high bar? - Er... The bar sits behind head on shoulders... Didn't know there is another version.

@G-man,

See a doctor or other medical professional. That you are using your groin muscles when squatting is good, but injuries to groin muscles are notoriously long in healing. The sooner you have a diagnosis, the sooner you can recover.

If it hurts, don’t do it. Find exercise that doesn’t hurt. Walk if you cannot do anything else.

-S-

You’re high-bar squatting. Nobody accidentally puts the bar just below the spine of their scapulae, which is where it’s carried in the “low bar” version on the squat.

Now - to help you with your problem, we need a video of your squat. Video a set from your next session at 50kg. Shoot this from a 45 degree angle, from the rear, make sure we can see your feet and your head, shoot it from as close to hip level as you can get, don’t wear black against a black background, and fer criminsakes shoot it in landscape mode because every time someone posts a form check in portrait mode puppies have to die.

I have some pretty good ideas about what all is going on in your squat, your programming, and your recovery. The good news is that it’s all fixable.

You’re high-bar squatting. Nobody accidentally puts the bar just below the spine of their scapulae, which is where it’s carried in the “low bar” version on the squat.

Now - to help you with your problem, we need a video of your squat. Video a set from your next session at 50kg. Shoot this from a 45 degree angle, from the rear, make sure we can see your feet and your head, shoot it from as close to hip level as you can get, don’t wear black against a black background, and fer criminsakes shoot it in landscape mode because every time someone posts a form check in portrait mode puppies have to die.

I have some pretty good ideas about what all is going on in your squat, your programming, and your recovery. The good news is that it’s all fixable.

My pains gone. It was just there for a few days. I took 1 week off. Came back into it today, loaded up 45kg instead of the 55kg I was up to, and no soreness.

I also closely paid attention to 'where' that pain was... it was actually not in the groin fully like on the inside... but on corner... you got the top of your leg (from hip) and then the inside where groin is... between those 2 spots there is like a thick Rod you can grab on the leg, muscle or something rather. Its the very one that pops up when you walk or raise leg up - that was the one that was sore.

If you do a 1 leg lunge to stretch the leg behind... it will stretch on that top area near hip/groin, it was that that was really feeling it and as to why I felt it during walking or trying to get out of bed.
Everything is ok now.

I didn't do any stretching before or after training, maybe that added to it. Now I am trying to stretch that area in a few ways before training and at the end just lightly stretching and going for a small walk just to keep everything moving so I don't get sore in that spot again.

So far ok, will be doing 47.5 on wendensday, see how I go as I approach that 55k again.

Post the video, and don't forget that you still need to warm up before moving on to working sets...

Carl in Dover

Dont want to post any video. Did that once and people started abusing the video and uploading without my permission. Not doing that again.

Suffice to say my squats been seen by a lifter and said im not doing anything wrong.

So its simply recovery problem.

My legs today are sore from wednesday, weak feeling due to not enough recovery. I did 45kg on monday without problem, wednesday i did 47.5 and only failed my 5th rep in 5th set, today im failing the 47.5 at 2 reps in my first set cause my legs are still weak/sore from wednesday.

Its a recovery issue.

Having said that...

How can strongs 5x5 be modified to still work properly?

He says modifying the program doesn't work but me doing squats 3x per week doesn't work either.

Im thinking if i do Squat like bench etc...

monday and friday squat like bench mon friday, then only do squat on wednesday next week like you would only do bench on that wedneday then back to mon friday again 3rd week etc.

Would that work?

If yes... what do i do when i dont do squats on overhead and deadlift day... should i still do overhead and deadlift just no squats? or?
Just trying to figure out how to make it work.

How can strongs 5x5 be modified to still work properly?

He says modifying the program doesn't work but me doing squats 3x per week doesn't work either.
Squat/bench on Monday and Friday. Deadlift/OHP Wednesday. Switch from 5x5 to 3x5, keep adding weight to the bar. Can't see why it wouldn't work.

Also, drop the volume - 5 sets of 5 at working weight is a lot.

3 sets of 5 should be fine.

Then you just need to do all of the other stuff to aid recovery that people cut corners on.

Eat well, stay hydrated and sleep well.

Well maybe i will try 3x5 on squat first before changing the days, keep everything else 5x5.

I do first 3 sets fine, its set 4 and 5 that get grueling, n 2 days later not recovered.

Maybe its just 5sets thats killing me. N yes when im on working weight, thats when i count set 1-5. N ye i warm up before doing it, empty bar 10-15 reps then add 10kg fo 3-5 reps, then add 10 more 2-3 then working weight... set 1.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom