all posts post new thread

Stu's training log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Feb 9th -
6am:

Mobility work - OS & T-spine mobility drills.
9pm: - Pres season Cricket training

Feb 10th - Easy Strength
6am:

Swings - 10 x 10 (10L/10R) 32kg
7pm:
Warm up - DBKB Squats 2x5 (2x24kg), Halos 2x10 (5L/5R) 16kg.
Snatch - 5 x 2 (28 kg),
C&P ladder 1) 1 x 1 (32kg) ,2 (28kg) ,3 (24kg).
ladder 2) 1 x 1 (24kg) ,2 (24kg) ,3 (24kg).
ladder 3) 1 x 1 (24kg) ,2 (24kg) ,3 (24kg).
My wife has become ill with the flu, so I've been trying to work, look after the kids and my wife for the last couple of days and also my daughter has decided 4am is wake up time...felt shattered tonight, but wanted to get an Easy Strength session in. I started the C&P with the 32 and 28, but I felt to tired so rather than risk injury I completed the C&P session with the 24....I've learnt it's better to come back strong tomorrow!

Feb 11th - S&S
6am:

7pm:
Warm up - Goblet Squats 2x5 (32kg), Halos 2x10 (5L/5R) 16kg.
TGU - 5 x 1 (32kg).
Tired again today, still 4am wake ups and wife ill with flu.

How are you finding Easy strength? Your pressing seems to be coming along very nicely! It seems like one of the best pro's to this program is the adaptability to how you feel on the day. Thank you for keeping such a thorough log of your progress!

I'm really enjoying Easy Strength, I recommend reading the book. It can be a bit tricky to follow at times, but there is some great programming advice in there. My goal has always been to use KB's for the benefit of the sport I play , which is now only cricket, being able to GU or press the beast would be an added bonus!

S&S really helped build the foundation of strength and unlock my thoraic spine and hips. I had a quick revisit to ROP after completing Simple last year, but I found I didn't have the time to get all the ladders in once I had reached 5 ladders and rungs with the 28kg, also recovery was an issue with family, work etc etc. With Easy Strength the C&P volume is lower 3 ladders and rungs so time/recovery is less of an issue and I like the heavy Snatches with the variety of mixing the 10 reps e.g. 5 x2, 5/3/2 etc. Last night I added in DBKB squats (2 x5 ) after the C&P as I've noticed going back to heavy goblet squats in the warm up makes my legs feel stronger and more athletic, but to fit in with Easy Strength the DBKB squats are still 'easy'. I'm also maintaining S&S 2 days a week, it's too good to let go:)

You are right about my pressing strength, I've never been able to press the 32 since I made simple. I tried after a cycle of Strong and then again after my quick dip back into ROP, but after a few weeks on Easy Strength I succeeded. It may be the culmination of Simple, then a steady bout of pressing via Strong and ROP that got me there, but I think the programming of Easy Strength allowed me to retain more strength and grease the pressing grove.
I think I'll retain Easy Strength as my pre and in season (cricket) strength training programme, out of season I want to achieve Strong with the 32's and tackle Geoff's Kettlebell Muscle programmes. I've been holding off KBM until I'm ready to approach it a pair of 24's, which might be this October. In the background I'll keep S&S ticking over and see where that takes me.

Sorry for rambling on, but thanks for taking an interest in my training log, its not quite Pavel M's but it keeps me focused.

Feb 13th - Easy Strength
6am:
7pm:
Warm up - Halos 2x10 (5L/5R) 16kg.
Snatch - 1 x 5 (24kg), 1 x 3 (28kg), 1 x 2 (28kg)
C&P ladder 1) 1 x 1 (24kg) ,2 (24kg) ,3 (24kg).
ladder 2) 1 x 1 (24kg) ,2 (24kg) ,3 (24kg).
ladder 3) 1 x 1 (24kg) ,2 (24kg) ,3 (24kg).
DBKB Squats - 2x5 (16's)

Another 4am wake up, feeling pretty tired so used the 24 for all C&P's and a pair of 16's for DBKB Squats. Not much of a warm up as just wanted to get the session done.

I'm really enjoying Easy Strength, I recommend reading the book. It can be a bit tricky to follow at times, but there is some great programming advice in there. My goal has always been to use KB's for the benefit of the sport I play , which is now only cricket, being able to GU or press the beast would be an added bonus!

S&S really helped build the foundation of strength and unlock my thoraic spine and hips. I had a quick revisit to ROP after completing Simple last year, but I found I didn't have the time to get all the ladders in once I had reached 5 ladders and rungs with the 28kg, also recovery was an issue with family, work etc etc. With Easy Strength the C&P volume is lower 3 ladders and rungs so time/recovery is less of an issue and I like the heavy Snatches with the variety of mixing the 10 reps e.g. 5 x2, 5/3/2 etc. Last night I added in DBKB squats (2 x5 ) after the C&P as I've noticed going back to heavy goblet squats in the warm up makes my legs feel stronger and more athletic, but to fit in with Easy Strength the DBKB squats are still 'easy'. I'm also maintaining S&S 2 days a week, it's too good to let go:)

You are right about my pressing strength, I've never been able to press the 32 since I made simple. I tried after a cycle of Strong and then again after my quick dip back into ROP, but after a few weeks on Easy Strength I succeeded. It may be the culmination of Simple, then a steady bout of pressing via Strong and ROP that got me there, but I think the programming of Easy Strength allowed me to retain more strength and grease the pressing grove.
I think I'll retain Easy Strength as my pre and in season (cricket) strength training programme, out of season I want to achieve Strong with the 32's and tackle Geoff's Kettlebell Muscle programmes. I've been holding off KBM until I'm ready to approach it a pair of 24's, which might be this October. In the background I'll keep S&S ticking over and see where that takes me.

Sorry for rambling on, but thanks for taking an interest in my training log, its not quite Pavel M's but it keeps me focused.
For the record @Stuart Elliott I also enjoy reading your traing and really like your template you are using. Thank you for sharing

Feb 14th - S&S
6am:

7pm:
TGU - 5 x 1 (32kg).

I felt very tired this morning, as my 2 year old daughter decided to start her day at 2am :( , but even after a few days of little sleep I can comfortably use the 32kg KB (a sign of progression). Once my daughter remembers that anything before 6am is sleep time I'll re-introduce the 40kg.
Just a point on the morning swings, I've been doing these for a few sessions now and absolutely love them. Finding the deep hinge (completion of the swing), these are very therapeutic and get the blood flowing, for the day ahead.

Last edited:
Feb 15th - Easy Strength
6am:
7pm:
Warm up - Halos 2x10 (5L/5R) 16kg.
Snatch - 6 x 1 (32kg)
C&P ladder 1) 1 x 1 (32kg) ,2 (28kg) ,3 (24kg).
ladder 2) 1 x 1 (32kg) ,2 (28kg) ,3 (24kg).
ladder 3) 1 x 1 (32kg) ,2 (28kg) ,3 (24kg).
DBKB Squats - 5x2 (24's)

Finally a good night sleep , my daughter woke at 6am.......wahoo! :)
Thoughts on C&P 32kg: Im able to solidly press the 32 for 1 rep (L&R) per set, but this feels nearer max effort than Easy Strength should so I'm dialing back to work on C&P'ing the 28kg for all 3 sets before bringing the 32 back in.

Feb 16th - Easy Strength
6am:
9pm:
Cricket practice

Feb 17th - Easy Strength
7pm:
Halos 2x10 (5L/5R) 16kg.
DBKB FS 2x5 (16kg)
Snatch - 5 x 2 (28kg)
C&P ladder 1) 1 x 1 ,2 ,3 (28kg).
ladder 2) 1 x 1 ,2 ,3 (28kg).
ladder 3) 1 x 1 ,2 ,3 (28kg).
Today was tough, my daughter was up at 3am, but even in a tired state easy strength is possible.

Feb 18th - S&S
9am:

TGU - 5 x 1 (32kg).

Feb 19th -active rest
9am:
Crawls (forwards/reverse) - 5 x 1 min roughly 30secs rest in between.
Sunday is my rest day but wanted to try some Crawl progressions after being inspired by @Shahaf Levin training log. I managed 5 x 1min before some tiredness started to creep in so stopped. Can't believe how good I felt after these, really alive. I have bought OS Performance to progress crawling.

Feb 20th - Easy Strength
7pm:
8.30pm
Warm up: Halos 2x10 (5L/5R) 16kg.
DBKB FS 1x5, 1x3, 1x2 (2x16kg)
Snatch - 1x5, 1x3, 1x2 (28kg)

Feb 14th - S&S
6am:

Leopard Crawl progression -Forwards/side to side/Backwards x 6:
1.34 mins - rest 1 min
1.02 mins- rest 1 min
58 secs - rest 1 min
1.16 mins - rest 1 min
1.19 mins - rest 1 min
1.26 mins - rest 1 min

3 x 1 min standing Knees to elbow (1 min rest)

7pm:
TGU - 5 x 1 (32kg).

I read OS performance over the weekend and today started the 10 min leopard crawl progression. 6x1 min crawls may have been to much to start with, I could feel this in my lats all day. I'll do these 3 x per week and really excited to see where these take me.

Leopard Crawl progression -Forwards/side to side/Backwards x 6:
1.34 mins - rest 1 min
1.02 mins- rest 1 min
58 secs - rest 1 min
1.16 mins - rest 1 min
1.19 mins - rest 1 min
1.26 mins - rest 1 min

Nice work!

6x1 min crawls may have been to much to start with, I could feel this in my lats all day

After I started crawling I understood why babies and cats sleep so much :)

My short journey (will be long) with coupling bent pressing and crawling did some really wonderful things to my mind and body - really made me understand what tying-the-X is. Since the bent press is, among many things, a loaded half-roll it turns into OSP+ with loading another primitive locomotion pattern. Since you do heavy TGUs (another loaded half-roll) I assume you will have well tied X in a short while.

Looking forward to read your progress and opinion.

After I started crawling I understood why babies and cats sleep so much :)
LOL, This is so true, I felt tired all day after my first Crawl progression session.

My short journey (will be long) with coupling bent pressing and crawling did some really wonderful things to my mind and body - really made me understand what tying-the-X is. Since the bent press is, among many things, a loaded half-roll it turns into OSP+ with loading another primitive locomotion pattern. Since you do heavy TGUs (another loaded half-roll) I assume you will have well tied X in a short while.

Looking forward to read your progress and opinion.
Tying the X is really improving my co ordination, I thought it was pretty good have spent so much time doing TGU's but this is taking to to another level. I'm starting to feel completely in control of all movement. My son is 8 and suffers from mild Dyspraxia which can effect his motor skills, I play lots of sports with him to improve these skills (swimming, ball sports such as cricket, football, tennis etc), I think crawls will really help him, last night we did some baby crawls just forwards and backwards and low volume, for fun really.
I'm looking forward to seeing where crawls takes us both.
I'm trying to work out how and where to schedule the crawls in my current program. So far I've done them in the morning, but I may schedule them following TGU's (2 days per week) and one on a rest day.

I'm looking forward to seeing where crawls takes us both.
Keep us updated on both of you.

The OS youtube channel has a video of a guy with CP and (I think) rolling, so mild Dyspraxia (and other motor coordination disorders) should definitely benefit from crawling.

Feb 22nd - Easy Strength
7pm:
8.15pm
DBKB FS - 5 x 2 (2x16kg)
Snatch - 6 x 1 (28kg)

Due problems on my train line, my usual 1h train commute turned in to a 2hr sardined commute. I wasn't in the best frame of mind for my KB session and my form wasn't great for the snatches or presses, I should have done C&P's with 24kg.

Feb 23rd - rest day
6am:
Leopard Crawl progression -Forwards/side to side/Backwards for 5 mins in total:
43 secs - rest 30 secs
42 secs- rest 30 secs
38 secs - rest 30 secs
37 secs - rest 30 secs
37 secs - rest 30 secs
35 secs - rest 30 secs
35 secs - rest 30 secs
35 secs -rest 30 secs

I decided to shorten each crawl period to one forward/back and side/side lap of my lounge which takes roughly 40 seconds. This meant I wasn't a sore as the previous session, I'll continue this way until I get to 10 mins work then look to lengthen the time for each crawl. This is an amazing exercise when done for progression!

Cricket Practice tonight.....hoping to see the co-ordination benefits :)

Feb 24th - Easy Strength
7pm:
DBKB FS - 5 x 2 (2x16kg)
Snatch - 5 x 2 (28kg)
C&P ladder 1) 1 x 1 ,2 ,3 (24kg).
ladder 2) 1 x 1 ,2 ,3 (24kg).
ladder 3) 1 x 1 ,2 ,3 (24kg).
DBKB Swings - 5 x 10 (2 x 24kg)

Feb 25th - Crawls
No time to fit in S&S today so crawls only.
6am:
Mobility work - OS & T-spine mobility drill.
Roughly 10 mins leopard crawling (forward/backwards/side to side), non timed, I did this with my kids (they baby crawled).

Feb 26th - Easy Strength
7am Mobility work - OS & T-spine mobility drills.
7pm Warm up:
Arm bar: 16kg each side
Halos 2x10 (5L/5R) 16kg.
ES Session:
DBKB FS - 1 x 5,3,2 (2x16kg)
Snatch - 1 x 5,3,2 (28kg)
Swings 5 x 1 (10L/10R) 28kg

I've been feeling very tired and lethargic over the last few days, not sure why, maybe lack of sleep from the previous 2 weeks catching up with me, maybe workload in the office, maybe a bit of both.Because of this I used 24 and 28 kg bells respectively, for the last 2 sessions.
I'll monitor this over the next few days, if it doesn't improve I'll take a couple of days off.

Feb 27th - Crawls (no time for S&S today due to work commitments)
6am:
Leopard Crawl progression -Forwards/side to side/Backwards for 6 mins in total:
40 secs - rest 30 secs
37 secs- rest 34 secs
38 secs - rest 34 secs
38 secs - rest 40 secs
35 secs - rest 40 secs
35 secs - rest 43 secs
38 secs - rest 54 secs
36 secs -rest 47 secs
36 secs -rest 59 secs
35 secs.

Feb 28th - Easy Strength

6am:
Mobility work
OS & T-spine mobility drills.

11am - ES
Warm up:
Arm bar: 16kg each side
Halos 2x10 (5L/5R) 16kg.:
DBKB FS - 2 x 5 (2x16kg)
ES:
Snatch - 5 x 2 (28kg)
Swings 10 x 10 32kg

Still feeling drained, time to take a few days off I think. Mobility work and crawling only.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom