all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing Program; help me choose.

Swing Program; Help Me Choose

• Total voters
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
Because of a knee injury, I've had to give up running for the foreseeable future. So I'll be going back to Kettlebell Swings for my Cardio training. I've narrowed my choices down to:

S&S Swings, 10 x 10(obviously I'm not going to be doing TGU's)

Swing Hard 1.0

I'd appreciate your input on this. Thanks.

Depends on how much “variety” you need…

Swing Hard has the waviness, and 10x10 would be more “punch the clock.”

You could do Plan 015, which is 10x10 swings & power push-ups. I love it.

Off the top of my head, I take swing hard 1.0 for getting back into things. A little less volume. Rest as needed.

Because of a knee injury, I've had to give up running for the foreseeable future. So I'll be going back to Kettlebell Swings for my Cardio training. I've narrowed my choices down to:

Swing Hard 1.0

What is the knee injury? Do you have any restrictions with regard to loading the knee and forceful extension?

" . . . for my Cardio training" is the key language - your goal.
For cardio training, the trouble with (only) 10 x 10 EMOM is that it only lasts 10 minutes.
But swinging for a minimum-effective session duration (for a runner like you, probably 30 minutes, not 10) may be way too many swings way to soon.
How about alternating sets of 10-15 swings with sets of pushups EMOM for 30 minutes? For cardio training - your goal - the essential thing is to get your HR into an effective zone (work rate) - MAF rate +/- 5, 70-80%, whatever you would do running - and keep it there for an effective duration. 10 x 10 just doesn't get there fast enough or last long enough . . . if the overriding goal is cardio training.

Swing Hard 1.0

It may be too short for Cardio, as other members have noted.

Can you walk pain free? Rucking is great for aerobic work and lots of people with knee injuries are able to do it pain free…

Injury issue / clearance aside (as others have raised it already):

Providing you're cleared to train, 10 minutes of swings won't cut it for aerobic development, unless you're doing high intensity intervals and whatnot, which should be used sparingly.

Much better approach (for aerobic development and injury prevention) would be to pursue A+A style training, building up to 40 minute+ sessions. Using an upper movement like power pushups alongside swings would likely spare your knee any undue stress, preserve muscle mass and pressing strength.

I would go with S&S and do the first few steps of the TGU (if your knee can handle pushing up onto your elbow). I would also do some high-tension rows, pull-ups, push-ups, etc. for a low volume.

However, if I wanted a real gonzo conditoning program I would follow the Tracy Reifkind workout series on youtube.

When I've been working around injuries in the past, I did Tracy's workout and partial TGUs.

What is the knee injury? Do you have any restrictions with regard to loading the knee and forceful extension?

IBS. The doctor told me to rest it as much as possible for 2 - 3 weeks. I have no discomfort from doing Swings, so I'll use them as my cardio training.

I know I may sound like a broken record, but rowing is easy on the knees.

And you can definitely go for 30 min (once you've built up to it).

Agreed. If I had the space, a good Rowing Machine or Battle Ropes would have been mu first choice. But unfortunately, I have to work within my limitations.

2H 7 swings EMOM waving the load, 3 times weekly. Moderate to heavy KB weight. Work up to about 40 mins. Worked for me.

i.e.

Week 1: 18 mins, 20 mins, 22 mins.
Week2: 20 mins, 22 mins, 24 mins.
...etc...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom