all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU and Two handed swing form check

HarryO

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi team,

Would love a form check on my get ups and two handed swing. Making my way to Simple grade from Simple and Sinister.

At 24kg swings and 16/20kg get ups.

Swings
Get Ups

I've been dealing with irritated knees and lower back. Not sure if my form is to blame or from other areas of training/life. I'm attempting to "snap" my knees less at top of swing and focus on glutes contracting and holding plank position.

Been doing touch down squats to focus on foot to glute connection to help with knees. And the Mcgill big 3 for core stability to attempt to remedy the sore lower back.

Would love any feedback on form or thoughts on rehab direction.

Thanks

1. Welcome
2. Form is quite good now time for some tweaks

3.. did you notice your knees move forward first as you initiate the hip snap? That can be fixed by pressing hard on the big toe and using your thighs to initiate the lockout

Are you working with an instructor? If not yet, I would highly recommend it even for a few sessions to make what's already good and make it even better at a faster rate

@HarryO, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-
Thank you Steve, I'm excited to be here.

1. Welcome
2. Form is quite good now time for some tweaks

3.. did you notice your knees move forward first as you initiate the hip snap? That can be fixed by pressing hard on the big toe and using your thighs to initiate the lockout

Are you working with an instructor? If not yet, I would highly recommend it even for a few sessions to make what's already good and make it even better at a faster rate
Thank you for the feedback Mark.

Now that you have pointed out the knees it's all I can see. I'll have a go with the big toe cue in my workout tomorrow. Could I ask for more clarification around using my thighs to initiate the lockout? I'm not quite sure what I should be focussing on to make that happen.

Do you think my swing or TGU form could be creating lower back stiffness?

I haven't worked with an instructor yet. Unfortunately the closest one is 3 hours drive away. Do online sessions to coach kettlebell form work well?

Thanks again for the help.

Thank you Steve, I'm excited to be here.

Thank you for the feedback Mark.

Now that you have pointed out the knees it's all I can see. I'll have a go with the big toe cue in my workout tomorrow. Could I ask for more clarification around using my thighs to initiate the lockout? I'm not quite sure what I should be focussing on to make that happen.

Do you think my swing or TGU form could be creating lower back stiffness?

I haven't worked with an instructor yet. Unfortunately the closest one is 3 hours drive away. Do online sessions to coach kettlebell form work well?

Thanks again for the help.

As you initiate the lockout think pushing the floor away and standing tall...

Your back stiffness could be a side effect of your form but I'm not gonna jump to conclusions yet.. once your form improves, we'll find out then..

Online definitely works.. I have students from those just seeking to improve quality of life to those who prepped for the SFG that I've trained virtually

Hi team,

Would love a form check on my get ups and two handed swing. Making my way to Simple grade from Simple and Sinister.

At 24kg swings and 16/20kg get ups.

Swings
Get Ups

I've been dealing with irritated knees and lower back. Not sure if my form is to blame or from other areas of training/life. I'm attempting to "snap" my knees less at top of swing and focus on glutes contracting and holding plank position.

Been doing touch down squats to focus on foot to glute connection to help with knees. And the Mcgill big 3 for core stability to attempt to remedy the sore lower back.

Would love any feedback on form or thoughts on rehab direction.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum mate, TGU look good, and I second Mark's recommendaction to work with an instructor to fine tune your swings.

Are they Vivobarefoot boots in the background in the TGU vid? How have you found them, I'm trying to justify a pair for bushwalking.

Welcome to the forum mate, TGU look good, and I second Mark's recommendaction to work with an instructor to fine tune your swings.

Are they Vivobarefoot boots in the background in the TGU vid? How have you found them, I'm trying to justify a pair for bushwalking.
I've gone through 2 pairs

Comfy for everything but dislike them when it's rainy season as they don't offer enough traction

I've gone through 2 pairs

Comfy for everything but dislike them when it's rainy season as they don't offer enough traction
Good to know, I've got a couple of pairs for everyday and love them, but thinking of some overnight hikes in the future and needing some hiking boots.

As you initiate the lockout think pushing the floor away and standing tall...

Your back stiffness could be a side effect of your form but I'm not gonna jump to conclusions yet.. once your form improves, we'll find out then..

Online definitely works.. I have students from those just seeking to improve quality of life to those who prepped for the SFG that I've trained virtually
Thanks for the help. Pushing through the toes made my knees feel a lot better with my swings today. Still some back stiffness though.

Good to know, I've got a couple of pairs for everyday and love them, but thinking of some overnight hikes in the future and needing some hiking boots.

I'm a huge Vivo fan. Have four different pairs. I wear them almost exclusively. Have a pair of Altra's for long distance running. The hiking boots I have from them are great. Only complaint is some styles suffer in the longevity department. Laces falling apart or glue around soles starting to come away.

Thanks for the help. Pushing through the toes made my knees feel a lot better with my swings today. Still some back stiffness though.

I'm a huge Vivo fan. Have four different pairs. I wear them almost exclusively. Have a pair of Altra's for long distance running. The hiking boots I have from them are great. Only complaint is some styles suffer in the longevity department. Laces falling apart or glue around soles starting to come away.
I've had the same experience with the Vivos, mainly with the kid's styles though.

Re the back stiffness, one thing that I found helped was getting more serious with the stretches after my session, particularly the QL straddle, and also standing tall at the end of my swings, not leaning back at the top.

Back
Top Bottom