'The Game Changers' Documentary

Sean M

Quadruple-Digit Post Count
Growth rate has slowed below replacement rate, so once existing reproductive-age population is done reproducing (population grows until then), population levels off and then declines (even as rate is positive - but below the rate it needs to be to maintain a stable population).

Van Der Merve

Double-Digit Post Count
Musicians and statistics... There is no contradiction. Say your income tripled two years ago, doubled a year later and increased by 20% this year. It grew by 200%, then by 100%, and 20% after that. Growth - the rate of change - plummeted from 200% to 20% while income increased.

Steve Freides

Forum Administrator
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
@Van Der Merve, the rate of change in your scenario does not interest me. How much income I have does, but the rate at which my income changes seems just a number. That growth rate of change - that doesn’t put food on my table or buy me a new cello.

-S-

Van Der Merve

Double-Digit Post Count
@Van Der Merve, the rate of change in your scenario does not interest me. How much income I have does, but the rate at which my income changes seems just a number. That growth rate of change - that doesn’t put food on my table or buy me a new cello.

-S-
Growth rate is relevant in the appropriate context. It's basic business management. Growth rate is one of the most important factors that determine share price in the stock market, for example. For you it may be very relevant if it falls behind the inflation rate, in which case your ability to place food on the table can be compromised. The case of looking a little deeper than the surface.

John Allen Paulos coined the term "innumeracy" and wrote the book with the same title. It is a good primer on looking at numbers the right way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom