all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
October 28 - November 3

I spent 7 days in an isolation ward for patients that have contracted covid, which sucked, but I can say that I did receive good medical treatment. The worst part now is fatigue, it comes and goes. The oddest thing is that everything tastes off now. I have spoken to someone that had a family member get the mild version of this, where it didn’t get into their lungs. They also report that tastes and smells take a while to return, along with building up energy.

I have never really given any credence to good sleep, until now. Sleeping in my bed, getting a good night’s sleep every night, is making a difference in my recovery. So, baby steps daily as I go down the road to recovery.

November 15

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 16 kg

1HS: 16, 16, 16, 16, 16
TGU: 16, 16, 16, 16, 16

Finally felt good enough to try to begin again. This was a rough session, but I felt good afterwards. Of course, it took me some time to complete, with no cardio fitness in me after a month of being sick.

The 16 kg felt pretty good in my hands, so this is my working kettlebell for now. It is amazing to me that get ups seem to get easier after the second set. I will do this for the next 5 days, then I travel to Oklahoma, a 10 hour drive again...so, I will have to change up while I am down visiting my daughter. So, I will probably do my swings, maybe a few get ups, and alternate with Soju & Tuba.

November 16

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 16 kg

1HS: 16, 16, 16, 16, 16
TGU: 16, 16, 16, 16, 16

These first two sessions have really kicked my butt. I am tired at the end of the session, and breathing heavy, but it feels good to be back at it. I have contemplated alternating the 12 kg & the 16 kg, but I seen any reason to do so, yet. I am taking my time with everything, but when your baseline is almost 0, everything challenges your endurance. I have found the benefit of stretching now more than ever. I am stretching off & on throughout the day, just 10-15 seconds stretching the hammys, and all is going well so far.

What about stepping all the way back to square one, and just doing the "practice sessions" described at the beginning of S&S? I think they're 15-20 minutes each of swings & TGUs, not counting reps. That's what I did when shoulder issues were my limiting factor, and after a few weeks, I could tell things were starting (slowly) to work in the right direction.

Where in the book did you see this? I looked in my digital copy, and I didn't see this. Granted, I didn't re-read the whole book, but I didn't see this laid out. I am interested in finding it, if you can explain where this is in the book.

What about stepping all the way back to square one, and just doing the "practice sessions" described at the beginning of S&S? I think they're 15-20 minutes each of swings & TGUs, not counting reps. That's what I did when shoulder issues were my limiting factor, and after a few weeks, I could tell things were starting (slowly) to work in the right direction.

November 17

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

I had a lot of errands to run after work today, and I was a little sore, so I did my stretching throughout the day, and some mobility work over lunch, and called it a day. I think I need to drop down to the 12 kg and begin my journey from there. I am too sore after only two days of work for the 16 kg to be my working kettlebell.

Where in the book did you see this? I looked in my digital copy, and I didn't see this. Granted, I didn't re-read the whole book, but I didn't see this laid out. I am interested in finding it, if you can explain where this is in the book.
S&S 2.0, Don't "Work Out" -- Practice. It's in the context of learning the skills initially, but I also found it useful when rebuilding the ability to do the swing & getup without aggravating my injury.

Ahh, it is in 2.0........I have the original S&S book.......that’s why I couldn’t find that passage....
S&S 2.0, Don't "Work Out" -- Practice. It's in the context of learning the skills initially, but I also found it useful when rebuilding the ability to do the swing & getup without aggravating my injury.

November 18

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 12 kg

1HS: 12, 12, 12, 12, 12
TGU: 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

I dropped down to the 12 kg kettlebell tonight, and it made enough of a difference to stick with it for a while. I wasn't as gassed performing the swings with the 12 kg as I was with the 16 kg, and I recovered a little faster. I do think I need to use the 16 kg for getups though, the 12 kg just felt too light for them. I will have to try the 16 kg in tomorrow's session, in both the warm ups and get ups.

Your what, a week out from being in an isolation ward? No shame at all in using the 12 right now - you aren't starting over, you're recovering. Soldier on, this isn't the time to push it... it's the time to just do work.

Yeah, you are right, but the get ups with the 12 kg feel off.....maybe a pause at each stage is the thing to do, go slow, pause and make sure my form is solid.......thank you @WhatWouldHulkDo ......
Your what, a week out from being in an isolation ward? No shame at all in using the 12 right now - you aren't starting over, you're recovering. Soldier on, this isn't the time to push it... it's the time to just do work.

November 19

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg

1HS: 12, 12, 12, 12, 12
TGU: 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

I stuck with the 12 kg kettlebell, swings felt better tonight, and pausing for a few seconds in the first two sets really made the last three sets much better than last night's session. So, I will stick with the 12 kg for a while.....as I build back up.

I stuck with the 12 kg kettlebell, swings felt better tonight, and pausing for a few seconds in the first two sets really made the last three sets much better than last night's session. So, I will stick with the 12 kg for a while.....as I build back up.

I often forget about "this side" of the logs in the 2 forums and to pop over here, I see you were sick :( . Take things easy for sure, and remember that you had reserves and capacity before this even happened, so are already starting aways ahead of people who had no semblance of physical fitness at all before getting sick. You'll get there!

November 20 - 10 hour drive to attend a wedding in Oklahoma
November 21/22 Wedding, errands, and recovery from that long drive - loads of stretching
November 23

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg
Strength Aerobics

Clean, Press, and Squat with the 12 kg kettlebell, alternating hands every 30 seconds for 20 minutes. This felt like the right choice, and did it ever hit the spot. I will alternate with either swings or snatches while I have only the 12 kg kettlebell. I tried a snatch with the 12 kg as I warmed up, and it felt right, making it a choice for a shorter workout while I am visiting. I was contemplating 3-5 reps at the top of each minute for 30 minutes, or 2 reps every 30 seconds, for 20 minutes. How I feel tomorrow morning will help determine which route I take, but I am definitely leaning towards the latter.

November 24

Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg

Snatch Session - 12 kg kettlebell
3 reps at the top of the minute and at the bottom of the minute 10 minutes - 60 total (30L/30R)
2 reps at the top of the minute and at the bottom of the minute 10 minutes - 40 total (20L/20R)

Quite the session this morning, 100 snatches in 20 minutes, not bad for my first snatch session. My form needs work, as I don't feel like it was very good, but I got a great workout! The catch at the top is giving me fits, but the arc feels like it is where it is supposed to be, close to my body, it doesn't feel like it was away from me at all, so half of the movement felt right. Still, I got a session in, which is half of the battle on vacation.

November 25 - Took the day off because my son showed up 12 hours earlier than expected to Oklahoma.
November 26 - Happy Thanksgiving! Son, daughter, daughter in law and daughter's boyfriend and I stayed up way too late, having a few adult libations, watching movies...

November 27
Mobility Work
Hamstring Stretching

Halos 3 x 10 x 12 kg
Strength Aerobics

Clean, Press, and Squat with the 12 kg kettlebell, alternating hands every 30 seconds for 20 minutes. Back at it today, the 12 kg is starting to feel light, which is a good thing, means I am regaining my strength and energy. I didn't feel nearly as exhausted as I did just 4 days ago either. So, things are looking up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom