all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yes.... I could feel my quads light up! It was light getting a fresh new player on the team. There was probably some carryover to the swings in the middle, too.

Fun discovery! I am looking forward to seeing what this does to snatches. I'm thinking it might help even more there.

Anna showed me the swing this morning..I altered my snatch to a similar movement and found there is less arc to tame. Makes a BIG difference from chest height to head height. IMO this will be a big difference in the snatch test as I consider chest height to overhead as "microrest." I did 15 sets of 5/5 24kg snatches and felt stronger with much less fatigue.

One of our trainees was there; he is 56, pretty strong and rather meticulous but NO Anna!! He tried Anna's new swing and the extra bit of pop was rather obvious.

@Anna C, it is amazing to me how low you get, and how far back you go with the kettlebell. When I try to go that far back and that low I feel it in my lower back.
@Michael Scott, if you look at Anna's first swing video, you'll see that, when her hips have stopped moving backwards and down but she continues to lower her shoulders, she does not give up the integrity of her spine. The additional range comes from her hamstrings, not her lower back, and that's why her lower back doesn't bother her.

-S-

Thank you @Steve Freides for pointing that out to me. I will watch the video again, and then watch my form. I love learning new things, and here the new information is all over, just waiting to be discovered.

@Michael Scott, if you look at Anna's first swing video, you'll see that, when her hips have stopped moving backwards and down but she continues to lower her shoulders, she does not give up the integrity of her spine. The additional range comes from her hamstrings, not her lower back, and that's why her lower back doesn't bother her.

-S-

Ok I have to apologize here, but I'm a bit lost. Exactly what changes did Anna make to her "old" swing to become the "new" swing? I know @Steve W. and @Steve Freides provided some detailed tips and @Anna C was somehow able to incorporate them immediately, but there seemed to be a lot of details and cues. A lot more than I could ever incorporate in one test session. I've read through the tips again and am having trouble whittling it down. Thanks!

Exactly what changes did Anna make to her "old" swing to become the "new" swing?

... come a little more forward at the knees, a little lower at the hips, and a little more vertical in the torso at the backmost position. The idea is to put more of the load into your hips and have them do more of the work, and have your hamstrings do a little less.

-S-

Yes, what Steve quoted there.

A little more like "sitting down on a curb", basically.

I might be confusing things to say this, but it's sort of the opposite correction that people with a squatty swing need. They should have more "hips back", "touch the wall behind you with your butt", "less knee bend" ---- I had gone a little too far in this direction, and needed to bring it back.

@Anna C I think the swing looks great. The slow-motion really shows all the components of it that sometimes get lost when watching at full speed. Great video. Follow up question, I'm trying to upload some video for review also, and can't figure out how to make them small enough to post. Any ideas?

Follow up question, I'm trying to upload some video for review also, and can't figure out how to make them small enough to post. Any ideas?

To YouTube? It all depends on what format they are in, and your video editing software if it needs any reformatting. PM me, I'll try to help...

Feel free to add here in this thread when you get it uploaded. Swing improvements for everyone.... :)

To YouTube? It all depends on what format they are in, and your video editing software if it needs any reformatting. PM me, I'll try to help...

Feel free to add here in this thread when you get it uploaded. Swing improvements for everyone.... :)

Thanks @Anna C, I think I've got it figured out. So here are videos of both my one-handed swing and my get-up. Any feedback would be much appreciated, as I am relatively new to the S&S program, and am trying to work towards Simple. Thanks everyone.

@Todd Friedrich, our forum software doesn't support uploading of video. (Perhaps a future version will - I don't know.) The recommended procedure is to upload your video to YouTube or any other public location, then post a link to it here.

I realize you've figured this out already, just passing it along for anyone else reading.

-S-

I agree, Todd -- a good swing! You have a good explosive upswing, which is something often lacking in an otherwise good one. Your get-ups look really good too.

Swings look beautiful.
TGU: Keep the shoulder packed in a bit more, so your bicep is closer to your head. And stay planted for a moment before you windshield wiper that back leg.

Nice work!

I agree, Todd -- a good swing! You have a good explosive upswing, which is something often lacking in an otherwise good one. Your get-ups look really good too.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't want to sound too negative, and I am no instructor, but I would go a bit deeper in the hinge on the backswing. Especially in the right handed swing, I had the impression you made a squatting movement nearing the end. Keep the hinge momentum going.
As for the get-up, I chime in with Anna: especially in your left get up, when the bell is up, keep the shoulder tightly packed. If you would draw a line from the centre of mass of the kettlebell to the ground, you would find that the bell lies slightly out of your body. Manageable with a lighter bell, but once you go heavy, you could run into problems.

I don't want to sound too negative, and I am no instructor, but I would go a bit deeper in the hinge on the backswing. Especially in the right handed swing, I had the impression you made a squatting movement nearing the end. Keep the hinge momentum going.
As for the get-up, I chime in with Anna: especially in your left get up, when the bell is up, keep the shoulder tightly packed. If you would draw a line from the centre of mass of the kettlebell to the ground, you would find that the bell lies slightly out of your body. Manageable with a lighter bell, but once you go heavy, you could run into problems.

Hey @Jan, I want the negative feedback, we're all in this together, I'll take all the help I can get. It's strange watching a video of myself, but it does seem like I'm not sitting deep enough into the hinge on the backswing, so I'll work on that for sure. Same goes for keeping the shoulder packed for the get-ups. Thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom