all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Timing between rungs for ladders

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sizzlefuzz

Level 6 Valued Member
Is there a standard for time gaps for rungs of a given ladder? From the materials I've read there is a lot of stuff written on resting between the ladders themselves, but the individual rungs--not so much.

For example, I have been working my way through 803B & usually using 5 breaths between rungs but I wasn't sure if that was optimal or if I was totally missing something.

Is there a standard for time gaps for rungs of a given ladder? From the materials I've read there is a lot of stuff written on resting between the ladders themselves, but the individual rungs--not so much.

For example, I have been working my way through 803B & usually using 5 breaths between rungs but I wasn't sure if that was optimal or if I was totally missing something.

The two standards I know of are:

- I go, you go: you rest the time it takes your partner (if you train alone, use an imaginary one) to complete his rung.

- As long as you need to make sure you can complete the next rung.

Personally, I like to rest no less than 30 seconds and no more than 90 seconds. But that's just me.

For ROP press ladders, the book doesn't specify rest periods.

When I've done ROP, I've tended to rest generously -- more or less one minute for each rep in the previous set.

But there are lots of ways to apply and cook ladders, depending on application/goals, and how you respond and recover.

I generally stuck to “I go, you go” but added 30-45 seconds per rung on the later Heavy days.

Enter The Kettlebell (the book that contains the Rite of Passage, a ladder-based program) has an entire page on the subject of rest periods.

-S-

From Enter the Kettlebell:

Either extreme of rest between sets—less than a minute on one end, and 10 minutes and more on the other—will make you strong for different reasons. Extremely short breaks will make you stronger by building muscle in the tradition of Charles Staley’s EDT (edtsecrets.com). Extremely long breaks will make you stronger by improving your skill of strength in the tradition of my GTG program from The Naked Warrior. Medium breaks will give you a mix of muscular and neural adaptations. This is why I have not specified how long you should rest between your sets in this book. Why complicate?

Kindle location 1352

I teach ladder rung timing this way. The rest period between sets is the shortest, in other words rung 5 and back to 1. quick rest and hit the 1 rep, then each rest period gets a little longer until 4 - 5 which is the longest rest period. :) You probably do it this and don't even realize it. :) If I do it for strength I rest longer, for hypertrophy I increase density by reducing the rest periods.

I teach ladder rung timing this way. The rest period between sets is the shortest, in other words rung 5 and back to 1. quick rest and hit the 1 rep, then each rest period gets a little longer until 4 - 5 which is the longest rest period. :) You probably do it this and don't even realize it. :) If I do it for strength I rest longer, for hypertrophy I increase density by reducing the rest periods.
This is what I do too, “I go, you go”, so the longer sets take longer and thus have more rest.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom