all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Tonight's Courage Corner

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
rw6q15.jpg

My daughter had theatre rehearsal in a nearby town tonight, so I loaded my 24-kg kettlebell into the car, drove her to the theatre, and made my way to a local park.

First time there. The park is beautiful. I found my "courage corner" in a secluded spot with green grass and clover under a large oak tree overlooking a stream. Another time I'll bring a fishing rod, but tonight's angle was swings and military-press ladders.

Apart from feeling a little self-conscious, I enjoyed myself this evening more than I have in a long time. Now I'm relaxing in a nearby Dairy Queen, enjoying a mild "exercise high", sipping iced tea, reading a book, waiting for my daughter's phone call, and purring contentedly. Ahhhhh.....

Last edited:
@Bret S. look out for scorpions, esp when doing TGU's ;) I lived in Oracle AZ outside Tucson for a couple years and my house was swarming with bark scorpions. (At least until the borax powder I sprinkled along all baseboards and under cabinets did its work.) I never got stung though my wife did as did several local folks I knew. Those little buggers have a "bite" much worse than their bark that's for sure

Training outside is really awesome. I often train outside in my yard. Also, my daughter started tennis lessons that are taught outside. The courts are in a local park. Instead of sitting idly while she is having her lesson, I brought a kettlebell last weekend and trained. That was really a nice way to start the day.

@Bret S. look out for scorpions, esp when doing TGU's ;) I lived in Oracle AZ outside Tucson for a couple years and my house was swarming with bark scorpions. (At least until the borax powder I sprinkled along all baseboards and under cabinets did its work.) I never got stung though my wife did as did several local folks I knew. Those little buggers have a "bite" much worse than their bark that's for sure
Yep that's exactly where we are. You really don't want to be stung by one of these critters. It will ruin your whole day. I train outside exclusively, and especially for the TGU's I look pretty closely. I've even considered getting a black light to look for them, as I mostly train in the dark.
On a related note I came across some sidewinder tracks in the sand, on an afternoon run this week. Just part of the training outdoors experience around here...

Ah yes, thanks for the warning. I haven't seen too many scorpions around Sedona, maybe it's the elevation? Not sure but I did do some construction work in Borrego Springs desert area In Cali and there were lots of yellow scorpions. There was a pair I found that were YUGE, 6-7" at least if you stretched out the tail and measured.

There are lots of critters in the desert, one morning I put on my shirt and felt something creepy on my neck and swiped it away, when it hit the floor it was a large spider (at least 2") with striped legs. I'm a live and let live guy but that thing got stepped on.

Yep that's exactly where we are. You really don't want to be stung by one of these critters. It will ruin your whole day. I train outside exclusively, and especially for the TGU's I look pretty closely. I've even considered getting a black light to look for them, as I mostly train in the dark.
On a related note I came across some sidewinder tracks in the sand, on an afternoon run this week. Just part of the training outdoors experience around here...

Are you in Az?

Edit: Never mind I thought your post said 'exactly where they are':p

Nice! My girl and I are probably gonna settle in Sedona, Maybe.. She really loves it and so do I. I'm a little leery about the traffic and crowds of tourists though.
I moved to San Diego in 1989, it was then a big city with a small town feel. Now it's getting alot more crowded, the drivers here rank 3rd worst in the nation (and for good reason). I love the weather and beaches but it's being over built for the roads. There are tons of good people here but also there's been an influx of pretentious 'tools'. I don't have much patience for it.

Love Colorado too. We're also looking at Sequim Wa. as a possibility. My girl's family has several acres there, it's known by pilots in the area as 'the blue hole' as the mountains block so much rain. They offered us some land in exchange for help developing the property. We'll see..

I'm approaching my outdoor/kids Summercamp time of year. Last year I did a few video short circuit routines made for easier traveling.

The one thing I don't like about it is the insects.

The Frederick Olmstead designed park near the Zoo has black flies, the park near the YMCA camp is positively bristling with mosquitoes - I wound up training in the parking lot in what shade the minivan provided. The park near the animal sanctuary - deer flies. Is enough to make me wish I were back in the dim confines of the Adirondack Room performance lab (aka Family room).

Sequim is in a really nice spot of the world. Been through there many times...
I think we'll be up there doing a little recon later this year. I haven't been yet but the reports from many people I know are as you described.

I'm approaching my outdoor/kids Summercamp time of year. Last year I did a few video short circuit routines made for easier traveling.

The one thing I don't like about it is the insects.

The Frederick Olmstead designed park near the Zoo has black flies, the park near the YMCA camp is positively bristling with mosquitoes - I wound up training in the parking lot in what shade the minivan provided. The park near the animal sanctuary - deer flies. Is enough to make me wish I were back in the dim confines of the Adirondack Room performance lab (aka Family room).
Mmmm yeahh.... deer flies suck, mosquitoes suck! That could easily ruin a KB training session.

I did some work in Santa Ynes Valley near Santa Barbara when I lived there. Deer flies were so bad I had to wear a 5 gal paint strainer cloth over my head. Couldn't take it, flies in eyes and ears will drive you mad.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom