all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Training for a super-duper serious throwing event

goat

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey folks,

So, every summer me and some friends head out to my friends "cabin" (it's actually an old school with a house attached, his childhood home), and spend a weekend there cooking, drinking and playing sports. Usually these are traditional MANLY events like the shot put, javelin and croquet.

Obviously the title is a joke, nobody is even sober when we do these events. It's all just for fun.

Still though, I thought it'd be interesting to see how far I can actually chuck that 8kg shot if I try to train for it. I don't really go to a gym anymore (I developed a taste for training at home during the pandemic).

What I have at home are 2x24kg kettlebells, a 16kg, a 20kg weight vest and a pull up bar.

Anyone have any good ideas for how I should train with the equipment available for the purposes of shot put?

Train with the 16 kg bell as a shot put.

Then when you get to the "competition" the 8 kg shot will feel light and go farther.

As for croquet, I've got nothing.

And I thought this was going to be a highland games thread..
Train with the 16 kg bell as a shot put.

Then when you get to the "competition" the 8 kg shot will feel light and go farther.

As for croquet, I've got nothing.
Start slow practicing technique and gradually speed up with the weight(putting bell). Resting the handle on the underside of the wrist sounds comfy.

I got a 12lbs. Shot Put for $35 from Anthem-Sports.com. I toss it around my yard in the summer. I have to repaint it often as it gets beat up from landing on the gravel. There are 2 styles of Shot Put tossing. One seems more athletic when you spin around. I do the easier, older style. I also have an "indoor" shot put which is a 5-lbs. air filled rubber ball. I toss that around at work in the warehouse. I guess you could practice with a big rock as well.

Ah, the manly sport of croquet. It’s been a bit since I’ve played the testosterone fueled game of bumper golf, but it isn’t really something I think you need an S&C program for. My advice would be to be the most sober player and you’ll win lol.

Back
Top Bottom