all posts post new thread

Old Forum Training for BUDs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

twillenberg01

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello all,

I wanted to post my current training schedule that I am using to get myself ready physically for BUDs. And before I start I understand that  BUDs is a big mental game and more often than not the mind goes before the body. To train mentally i try and read a lot and meditate (aka visualize) on me be successful, other than that I am just trying to be physically confident as possible. So if we can leave that factor out when discussing as that would not be productive to this conversation.

First off my  vurrent PT standadrds are this:

-500m swim 930

-90 Pushups/100 situps/20 pullups

-930 1.5 mile run

My current workout schedule is going to look like this:

M/W/F-

Am- Run (alternating intensity)

Afternoons-  I am starting a new cycle of the rite of passage with a 24kg. The reason I am doing this is because for one i love this program! Its just fun for me. But also I know i will need a lost of overhead strength for buds. And for the pullups i am goingto alternate days of weighted pullups and  doing 2-3x the number of pullups per press. Also i might slow down the progression of the ladder from 7 to 14 weeks as to not over tax my body as i do have a lot to do!

PM- i might go to my krav studio, practice swimming (as the CSS is a pretty technical stroke i would just practice), or just relax and enjoy life.

T/Th

AM- This is my designated swim time and water confidenc drill time.

Afternoon- Maybe do a quick heavy ab routinne 30min max

PM- i might go to my krav studio, practice swimming (as the CSS is a pretty technical stroke i would just practice), or just relax and enjoy life.

Sa-

This is a long swim day

Su-

Complete rest

As far as pushups go I am starting to do GTG with them like 30-60% everytime i venture into my room. Always keeping it easy so it doesnt affect any of my other training but i would still be getting plenty of reps. i also do some type of joint mobility/stretching everyday (ps i have been doing ido portals 30/30 challenge and if you have not you should look into starting that and a great way to rest and restore mobility)

Any thoughts/suggestions would be great as far as my schedule goes. I think this is one of the most well educated fitness communities out there and would love to get your opinion

No rucking and other HEAVY loaded carries - plug these in somewhere.

Make sure that you're running in the sand sometimes.

Are you active duty now, or coming in off the street?

Like you originally said, most of this is mental.  Get comfortable being very uncomfortable.  Center your chi and keep moving.

Good luck.

Although it is likely to fall on deaf ears and attacked as unpatriotic, you may consider risking life and limb for a out of control government and the profit of Halliburton's shareholders a bit far from ideal.

Consider adventure elsewhere.

I have not been to Bud/s, but been to plenty of USMC schools.

Read this article.  It's by Al Ciampa, who just posted above.

http://www.strongfirst.com/hardening-the-soldier-for-combat/

A similar formula has been what I have done for a while.  It is good advice and it works.  Lots of free advice in that article that others would put in a program and charge you $75 for it.

With that said, Military Athlete and SealFit are also popular with military guys and they work too.  I like SealFit a lot.  It is a lot of volume and I would not stay on it forever, but it may be something to look into for more volume once you have followed Al Ciampa's program above for a while.  Al's program is really almost like cheating when you see the amount of work you do vs. the huge returns you get in improved fitness.  It is also pretty scalable for your situation.

The main reason I would check out SealFit is the author was a Seal, and the program is specifically aimed at Bud/s candidates.  Lots of mental toughness tips in the book also.

I hope that gives you a place, or two, to start.

Mr. Melrose, where would you recommend he seek "adventure"?  If that even has anything to do with his chosen career.

Improving our government will not come from turning your back on it, but by getting better men into leadership positions, both in the military and in elected offices.

Back to the topic...Al's advice is still the best place to start.

Ya my ultimate plan would be to, after about a 14 week cycle of this, do the 8 weeks to SEALFIT program (obviously for 8 weeks). I took a look at the program from Al. It seems to be more specifically for deployment rather than a selection coarse (which are 2 very different events). But I do like the basic format/ideology behind the program for its purpose.

To be honest though I do like cardio like training as well. I think one of my biggest weaknesses with trainning is that I have so much I love doing: cardio, KB, martial arts. And I don't like giving up stuff (as evident by the program that I am doing: see above).

what do u guys think about doing GTG for push-ups as my main source of push-ups? Rather than doing them in workouts?

Trevor,

The program in my article is not the best fit for your specific needs ... it would build a base if you didn't already have one ... you're doing fine with what you have laid out ... just add the strength piece in somewhere.

You're already a cardio-hog and probably have a huge engine ... keep checking that box.  Strength will make things easier for you when you're smoked.

GTG push ups are fine.

Al thank you for the advice. I will try and see if i can fit in some rucking somewhere, maybe occasionally swapping out one of my long runs for it...? I am not currently in the military. I graduated college  and am looking to enlist and join DEP by end of this year.

Melrose while i am sure you have valid reasons for believing what you do, that discussion was not the purpose of this post and I would ask that you dont start a debate about that on this post as i am trying to actually get information from this and dont want to have to wade through all the different political ideologies to get it.

Trevor,

That changes things ... you can't rush the adaptation of the joints and soft tissues to rucking.  How much time do you have?  Have you ever used loaded carries, of any sort?  Frequently hiked with a loaded pack, for recreation?

Also Al... Would you say that the rite of passage protocol would not suffice for strength work? I usually add weight to pullups 1 day during week and go double pullups also once a week. Then i do swings or snatches after the ladders sometimes with a bit of a heavier bell. I stopped doing heavy deadlifts/squats/bench because it was always hard for me to check ego at the door in regards to weight and form, and as i mostly work out by myself  i like sticking with the lighter weight/high tension or explosive exercises.

Would you say that this is an inefficient way to build strength?

Yes i have done loaded carries (which  i usually do on days i do heavy ab workout).  As far as hiking goes I dont do it as frequently as i would like, mostly cuz i have really been trying to focus on swimming and being comfortable in the water. When i was hiking a bunch tho i never had too much of a problem keeping a decent pace with a 35-45lb pack.

Trevor,

ROP ... sure would, especially if you're doing the swings and snatches, and heavy.

When I said add strength stuff in, I meant the loaded carries and rucks.  What you laid out is good, and can probably take you all they way, physically ...

I would do it a little different, but many ways work well ... that you know yourself with the deadlift is good reason to stay away, or, practice building the discipline that you will soon need in other areas by rehearsing ... deadlift without your ego.

We're crossing over each other ...

In that case, just add 1 or 2 rucks/week.  Start at 30lbs and 3 miles ... increase both load and distance SLOWLY, until you're doing one short and heavy (70lbs@ 3-5mi), and one long and light (45-50lbs@ 10-12mi).  The short one can come right before an ROP session; the long one by itself on the weekend.  Do some of your GTG PU on the way.

Like I said, you've got a good plan.

Also in regards to time, i want to enter DEP by the end of the year that way i will leave sometime in 2015.
So, boot then BUDs?  If so, you'll detrain during boot ... hit it hard right up to the end.

Trevor, please allow me to give you the benefit of my son's experience re: getting ready for BUDs.

First, you want to be as strong as possible and have a deep cardio base - I'm sure the program you and Al discussed will get you there. Be sure, however, to work on strength endurance overhead. My son loathed the boats and the logs and wished he had spent more time pressing. Second, get very, very comfortable in the water and work on your lung capacity. Apparently guys regularly pass out doing 50m underwaters; I'm told it's kind of scary. Third, you'll spend significant time during DEP with a SEAL motivator who will administer PSTs, and generally put you through your paces. After Boot Camp you'll go to BUDs Prep for a couple of months so don't worry too much about the fitness you lose during Boot Camp. Fourth, think hard about your decision to take this path. Then think about it again. Don't go this route to impress anyone, or to "challenge yourself"; to the extent you can, find out what life as a SEAL is like and ask yourself if that's the life you want. If it is then godspeed. If not, make a different choice.

Finally, understand the odds. BUDs is hell on wheels, and that's just the beginning. My son was a competitive triathlete, with two Ironman distance events under his belt, and a serious Crossfitter in HS and College. He was as physically ready as you could get yet he ultimately rang the bell, over 80% of his class did.

I don't say this to discourage you; I'm exceedingly proud of my son for just getting to that grinder. Not many make it that far. Becoming a SEAL involves far more than being one of the fittest people on the planet - the mental component, as you're aware, is huge. Unfortunately most of the guys that hit that grinder don't realize how huge, or what a total commitment it takes, until they're standing on the beach wet, and sore, and cold, holding log or a boat over their heads for what seems like forever. When my son called me after he DOR'd I asked him one question, "Did you make a good decision?" He felt like he did and has found another path in the Navy. I've shared this with you in the hope that it will help you make a good decision. Best of luck!

As a two-time BUD/S failure who is now both too old and too high in rank to be permitted to try again, I'll contribute:

1 - Work on developing a very strong sidestroke with "duck feet" fins.  If these are difficult to come by wherever you may be, use the largest and most inflexible flippers you can get your hands on.  Work both sides evenly, you can't afford to have a stronger side.   If possible, I'd suggest logging at least a mile a day in the pool (as an aside, I discovered kettlebells between my first and second attempt at the course, and found that heavy high volume swings made my sidestroke a whole lot stronger than it was for take 1).

2 - Get strong and comfortable holding weight overhead for long periods, and hopefully the other dudes in your boat crew will have also done so.  Also, work on getting an unbreakable neck--running with the rubber boat on our heads is still the hardest thing I've ever done physically to date.

3 - When in doubt, run.  Then run some more.  If you don't already have a pair, order yourself some Bates Lites boots, and run in loose sand while wearing long pants whenever you have the chance.  In addition to mindless distance at a respectable clip, work on a very fast four mile run time.

(Best of luck--I wish I could join you.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom