all posts post new thread

Training On Lentils

Was not really doing anything last two days and so I punished myself this morning: set timer for 15 mins and did as many reps as possible of c&p (clean with every press) w/ 40 kg bell.
Format was 12x(2+2), 1+1. Grand total 25 reps/arm.

I was thinking about using some strongman implements for some time already
and today it came true. I got sandbag (from www.strengthshop.de), filled it with
50 kg of sand and went on. Cleans/shoulderings, carries, presses, squats. Love it.
My elbows and wrists are sore as hell. I have to figure out how to proceed.

I am currently thinking about two strategies of how to use sandbag:

1) Easy Sandbag
5-7 times a week, one moderate set of: press, Zercher squat, shouldering, row and carry

2) Classical Sandbag
3/week, more volume (sets and/or reps), same exercises

What do you guys think?

I am not sure about programming for sandbag, but I found this book to be a great source of functional training using odd objects (sandbags, kegs, tires, ropes).
If you want I can PM you my notes about sandbags specifically later when I get home :)

I am not sure about programming for sandbag, but I found this book to be a great source of functional training using odd objects (sandbags, kegs, tires, ropes).
If you want I can PM you my notes about sandbags specifically later when I get home :)

Thanks for the book tip! And sandbag notes would be of course great. Thank you!

I think the sandbag training depends a lot on what else you're going to train at the same time. The exercise selection looks good and complete to me. If you want to concentrate on the sandbag, I'd choose option 2, and do other things lightly on the side. But doing all the different moves after typical training and on rest days would work well too, so option 1 would be my choice if you train a lot progressively with the kettlebells and dumbbells.

One thing to note is that at the beginning you'll likely get plenty sore from the exercises as you're new to it. So how to train the sandbag in general may not be the optimal way to train during the first month.

7.4. - 9.4. 2018
Playing with my new toy named sandbag: shouldering, carries, presses, squats, etc.

10.4. 2018
Sore enough so I get back to bell.
2x8 gsq, 4x5 press (rep PR), all w/ 40

Last edited:
Sandbag carries (shoulders, zerchers).
After those I thought that sandbag is too light and filled it up to approximately
68 -70 kg (~150 pounds). I can still power clean and press that thing. Awesome.

Last edited:
How big is the bag with sand for 70kg? How heavy can you make it using sand only? I am thinking about making an order in strength shop and maybe I will also buy theirs sandbag ;)

How big is the bag with sand for 70kg? How heavy can you make it using sand only? I am thinking about making an order in strength shop and maybe I will also buy theirs sandbag ;)

According to the webpage (Strengthshop Double Layer Sandbag)
are the parameters as follows: 61cm wide, 92cm high - approx 150kg when full to capacity (for the large one which I ordered). I'll make a picture of the 70 kg setting I have on a weekend.

Back
Top Bottom