all posts post new thread

Training On Lentils

You must have big hands and good grip!

Today I bought some stuff from DYI shop and figured out how to use them to deadlift 2+ bells at once. Will share when will test it :) plan to deadlift and farmer walk multiple bells.

Man, my hands are of average size at the most, especially for 6'3'', 270 lbs guy. Grip is ok with right hand. On my left hand, I cannot close my point finger at all (childhood injury) and it shows a lot when swinging 40 kg bell. Ive used 16 kg bell as a "bracelet" and then stacked 50 plus 32.

You must have big hands and good grip!

Today I bought some stuff from DYI shop and figured out how to use them to deadlift 2+ bells at once. Will share when will test it :) plan to deadlift and farmer walk multiple bells.

I am looking forward to your Tim the Handyman setup for deadlifting of multiple bells!

Sharing a thought since you're getting into the sandbags. One of the things that I ran into was the volume increasing out of all proportion to the load - it gets real awkward to move bigger weights with a good range of motion and I felt like I was limited by the media. This might never be a concern for you but if it is...

I recently picked up some steel ballast at 45 cents a pound and the stuff is far more common than I thought - many places sell it as cut wire ballast and is also used to tumble machine parts for finishing.

If you don't have to pay shipping that's a pretty good $ to weight ratio. And is over 2x the weight by volume. My 60lb tube sand sleeve if filled with steel shot would be about 140lbs (estimate). I found I couldn't handle any load larger than two tubes without using a table or deck of some sort, limiting me to 120 lbs. With steel shot that same volume could get close to 300lbs, more than I could ever scrape off the floor. Some steel shot mixed in with sand could add a lot of weight without increasing size much, preventing the load from becoming so big it hinders application of strength.

For some lifts not a concern, but for rows, DLs and such I realized I should be standing over a trench to get a good ROM. For offset backsquats I was spending as much time resetting the bags as I was squatting. Once I get my Hobo bundles squared away I'm planning to upgrade my carpet tubesand sleeves with steel shot.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sharing a thought since you're getting into the sandbags. One of the things that I ran into was the volume increasing out of all proportion to the load - it gets real awkward to move bigger weights with a good range of motion and I felt like I was limited by the media. This might never be a concern for you but if it is...

Actually, I've sort of seen it while doing c&p with 110lbs and 150 lbs sandbag. There was a noticeable difference in a range of motion - for heavier sb being somewhat shorter - because of sb being more deformed (saggy in the middle). As the weight and hence volume increases, the grip places will also change.

I recently picked up some steel ballast at 45 cents a pound and the stuff is far more common than I thought - many places sell it as cut wire ballast and is also used to tumble machine parts for finishing.

I bought 25 kg (55 lbs) of three packs of sand for 1.95 Euro (2.4$) each which I also picked up by myself so I consider that quite cheap.

If you don't have to pay shipping that's a pretty good $ to weight ratio. And is over 2x the weight by volume. My 60lb tube sand sleeve if filled with steel shot would be about 140lbs (estimate). I found I couldn't handle any load larger than two tubes without using a table or deck of some sort, limiting me to 120 lbs. With steel shot that same volume could get close to 300lbs, more than I could ever scrape off the floor. Some steel shot mixed in with sand could add a lot of weight without increasing size much, preventing the load from becoming so big it hinders application of strength.

For some lifts not a concern, but for rows, DLs and such I realized I should be standing over a trench to get a good ROM. For offset backsquats I was spending as much time resetting the bags as I was squatting. Once I get my Hobo bundles squared away I'm planning to upgrade my carpet tubesand sleeves with steel shot.

I was actually surprised how relatively handy sb was for rows. I think it's because I have quite long legs so I get good range of motion for that one. In re shoulder (offset) squats, it's hell by itself. Keeping it on the place and not fall off is a nice core work.

W2D1
-shoulderings
-shoulder squats
-shoulder carries
-rows
Note: Was not able to clean sb afterwards. I had to literally roll it back to the cellar on the ground. My grip was already incapable. That's the sandbag. Workout starts before workout and goes on after the workout. I merely think about sandbag and start to sweat.

Nutrition aside: As I briefly mentioned in @Antti's log I gonna focus a bit more on nutrition
which I neglected totally last 39 years. Starting slowly but surely I am going to obey following two rules:
1) limit of 2 beers/day
2) 1 meal a day will be zero/low carb (basically meat+veggies)

After couple of weeks I shall see whether it's a correct direction.

Everyone is different but from my experience changing slightly only a few things at a time and keep it for a while is much better than going cold turkey. Changing behaviour and lifestyle beats shock therapies. In that terms your choices seems really smart and reasonable.

I restricted myself to one day of drinking weekly, and it makes me drink 6-10 beers on every Saturday, making me hugely hangovered in result. When I looked at 2 beers daily restriction I thought at first that it's too much, but now I think that drinking less and more frequently is better choice than my method. Especially in Czech beer drinking culture! So much good stuff!

Anyway, it's great that you are cleaning up your diet!

Last edited:
Everyone is different but from my experience changing slightly only a few things at a time and keep it for a while is much better than going cold turkey. Changing behaviour and lifestyle beats shock therapies. In that terms our choices seems really smart and reasonable.

I restricted myself to one day of drinking weekly, and it makes me drink 6-10 beers on every Saturday, making me hugely hangovered in result. When I looked at 2 beers daily restriction I thought at first that it's too much, but now I think that drinking less and more frequently is better choice than my method. Especially in Czech beer drinking culture! So much good stuff!

Anyway, it's great that you are cleaning up your diet!

Thanks @damogari! What you wrote actually mirrors quite a lot of my thoughts. I myself do not like shock therapies of any kind. In re beers, I try to take two pints as an upper limit - so even sober days can in principle happen haha.

If you haven't ever tried to alter your diet, I think it's worthwhile to experiment with different ways for little whiles. You can learn a lot. After all, why not do it - what do you have to lose?

Of course, if you find something that works and that you're comfortable with, it may be better to stick with it, or at least remember it well sp that you can go back to it.

And in my experience, it's even more important to remember what doesn't work. It's been far too easy for me to slip back to my previous ways in the past. Every time, I thought I'd make it work, and ended up doing the same thing and it didn't work. It's the very definition of insanity.

If you haven't ever tried to alter your diet, I think it's worthwhile to experiment with different ways for little whiles. You can learn a lot. After all, why not do it - what do you have to lose?

Of course, if you find something that works and that you're comfortable with, it may be better to stick with it, or at least remember it well sp that you can go back to it.

And in my experience, it's even more important to remember what doesn't work. It's been far too easy for me to slip back to my previous ways in the past. Every time, I thought I'd make it work, and ended up doing the same thing and it didn't work. It's the very definition of insanity.

Agreed! I guess those things that one tries and they don't work are the ones that for whatever reason appeal us or appear to be easier or we believe they fit us better - while subconsciously knowing the don't.
As you said, there is quite a lot of wiggle room in land of nutrition and maybe I even find it funny to manipulate those parameters.

Due to a nice weather I spent last couple of days outside with my son. Total sum
of aerobic activity of last five days surpasses all what I did last 15 years. I was
only being able to do couple of presses here and there.

W3D1
-shoulder carries
-rows
Note: Shoulder carries are biggest bang for buck with sandbag.

Back
Top Bottom