all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Triple extension swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm following this on a somewhat parallel path.

The added Quad activation is notable, it taxes my wind more as well.

Am doing fairly light weight high reps as I do with regular swings - 50lb KB at 80 reps.

This is definitely going to have the desired effect once I dial in the technique.

Is there a particular reason why you or other people want to train calves specifically? Are you limited by calf strength in some movements? Or is it a question about aesthetics?

I've honestly never considered training my calves separately. I've never felt that my calves have let me down in some movement. That said, I do not do a lot of sports outside strength training. I am aware that some bodybuilders train calves separately. I suppose it can also make sense in some sports, but I'm not sure where it would be the most beneficial.

@Football Bat

- master the regular swing first
- do the triple extension swing first just on the floor, without 2x4, and start lighter
- and only then proceed to 2x4

Is there a particular reason why you or other people want to train calves specifically? Are you limited by calf strength in some movements? Or is it a question about aesthetics?

I've honestly never considered training my calves separately. I've never felt that my calves have let me down in some movement. That said, I do not do a lot of sports outside strength training. I am aware that some bodybuilders train calves separately. I suppose it can also make sense in some sports, but I'm not sure where it would be the most beneficial.

I used to do a jumprope routine with a heavy rope back when I was in my 30s. Wind and upper body muscular endurance were the biggest limiters.

I recently attempted to reintroduce this to my routine and found to my surprise my calves couldn't hack it, leading me to conclude my calves were not getting sufficient work with regular squat/lunge/Hack squat and need some individual attention. I don't have time to do additional movements, I've already pared my workouts back to the minimum, so is great having an option that works with my current time limits.

Haven't noticed it while backpacking but since I travel with the kids now I haven't been doing any tougher hikes to know.

If you have ever done any ice climbing you will understand the value of training calves...

Thank you for your answers. I have not skipped rope since I was a child, although I do understand it can be good exercise and it has proven itself in boxing for example. I also have never done any ice climbing, and I am also not familiar with the sport at all, so I am fairly oblivious to its demands. I learn something new every day.

Or is it a question about aesthetics?

Guilty :D

Seriously though when I'm hiking or playing a sport my calves are always the first to tire out.
Anyway I was playing flag football a couple of days ago and I felt a lot lighter on my toes. Jumped up to catch a pass and I could feel my calves contribute like I haven't before. It was a good feeling!

Hello,

Good calves also help a lot when you ruck or hike because they help to maintain you ankle too.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My update to this thread, have been working these in for the last 20-30 reps of 60 with a 50 lb. The form is somewhat strange in that it feels a lot more vertical than a regular swing - the bell seems to float a long time at the top.

My quads have adapted to it quickly, my calves still feel it every time.

Next up as my form gets a little better will be one handed, so far has all been two hands.

So far probably not in terms of performance. Have noticed some DOMS in my quads and calves that are not typical.

I don't do a ton of swing volume, so was planning on testing it against my jumprope in another couple of weeks.

A last thought on these cause it feels like a hijack in progress now...

Initially I was much more winded doing these than regular swings with the same weight. I assumed it was from having more motor units working. I now believe that this effect is true to some extent but was mostly due to balance and form issues.

Currently there appears to be only a modest increase in heart rate at the same cadence doing the triples compared to flat foot. I am still only doing these with high volume low load, of an 80 rep set with 50lbs I do half - 40 reps triple extension.

I´m curious about the result of these swings. I would guess that the extension of the ankles occurs at a later stage than that of the hip and knees, so, at that moment, the bell is already close to the vertical part of its path, and therefore the bell itself offers almost no resistance to the calves. Basically, it appears to me that the calves are only lifting the body with no added resistance by the KB. It appears to me that the hip and knees act propelling the bell forward and upwards, and therefore get some resistance from the bell, not so the calves.

If my assumption is correct, I see no advantage in training the calves with the triple extension swing compared to a bodyweight ankle extension on the floor (aside from the balance challenge, which I´m not sure if it is an advantage in itself).

I´m curious about the result of these swings. I would guess that the extension of the ankles occurs at a later stage than that of the hip and knees, so, at that moment, the bell is already close to the vertical part of its path, and therefore the bell itself offers almost no resistance to the calves. Basically, it appears to me that the calves are only lifting the body with no added resistance by the KB. It appears to me that the hip and knees act propelling the bell forward and upwards, and therefore get some resistance from the bell, not so the calves.

If my assumption is correct, I see no advantage in training the calves with the triple extension swing compared to a bodyweight ankle extension on the floor (aside from the balance challenge, which I´m not sure if it is an advantage in itself).

The extension happens at the same time. If you try to raise to the ball of the foot after the hip or knee has fully extended, the bell will be starting to drop as your body goes up. All three should pop at the same time.

If you tinker with these at all you can compare even with a relatively light KB the difference in effort between them and stationary bodyweight raises. I prefer them even to raises at the top of a squat with a heavy load, probably because one gets a full shortening of the calf muscles but maybe some other factors at play. I found including calf raises with heavy overhead pressing or squatting to take away from the original exercise.

The primary movers are legs and the back, of course. Once the legs extended and the upper body upright one gives more power to the bell by going on the forefoot and shrugging the shoulders. This id one fluent motion.
The idea is to spread the load across more motor units. So you have the primary movers (legs and back) and the secondary movers (calfs and shoulders).
On the down swing the move is reversed in that the secondary movers start to slow down the bell passively until legs and back take over thereby saving the grip.

The trajectory of the bell is up since the swing is an assistance exercise for the clean and the snatch. Thus the same bell path is practiced.

I´m curious about the result of these swings. I would guess that the extension of the ankles occurs at a later stage than that of the hip and knees, so, at that moment, the bell is already close to the vertical part of its path, and therefore the bell itself offers almost no resistance to the calves.

You can do them that way but as you say it's not optimal. As my form improves I've learned to extend the ankles simultaneously with the hips on the rebound. The increase in force was significant enough for me that I had to downgrade to a 36 kg bell from a 48 because my grip kept failing on the extension. Besides the ankle extension the movement looks exactly like a hard style hinge swing now.

Edit: I'll see about posting a video up when I'm confident enough in my form as it's still very much a work in progress.

@Oscar
I started out with a 20lb and thought it would be very easy to get. Hey, I'm practically a Swingspert!

Took a handful of sessions with the 16kg before I felt comfortable using any more weight. I doubt I'll ever push the load too far, for me a 32kg is plenty challenging with regular swings.

These are not interchangeable. While very similar I'm not about to supplant my flat footed swings for triple extension, but I will work them in as an addition.

I’ve started doing these with snatches A+A style. So far I’m loving it. The form feels more natural to me than when I do TE with swings.

I do them for similar reasons as the original poster: I want to strengthen my calves to be strong and twitchy without doing a seperate exercise. I also like the increased emphasis on balance. Makes it more complete for me.

I tried jump roping for this purpose but it makes my training protocol more complex and for me it’s higher impact.

I’ve started doing these with snatches A+A style. So far I’m loving it. The form feels more natural to me than when I do TE with swings.

I do them for similar reasons as the original poster: I want to strengthen my calves to be strong and twitchy without doing a seperate exercise. I also like the increased emphasis on balance. Makes it more complete for me.

I tried jump roping for this purpose but it makes my training protocol more complex and for me it’s higher impact.

@Riley Cooper

1) Add HSQs to your practice - please see the tutorial here > Antifragile and Strong Knees: The Russian Lion’s Kettlebell Hack Squat Tutorial | StrongFirst

2) Add kettlebell calf raises to your - please see the tutorial here > http://simplexstrong.com/2019/01/siegmund-kleins-super-physique-1943-kettlebell-calf-raises/

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom