all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Triple extension swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Small update: It seems these are even more effective if you drive the calves to full extension with the rebound and then quickly plant the feet again before the bell reaches the top so you're firmly rooted. Timing is somewhat similar to a barbell power clean. If done correctly you can actually feel your calves propelling the bell forward if that makes sense.

Last edited:
@Football Bat, there is always the question of what movements and programs might be considered to improving general physical preparedness (GPP) and what is sport-specific. As a guideline from StrongFirst, we believe that using a few, carefully chosen and even more carefully taught movements for general physical preparedness, and limiting ourselves to those few movements because they are all that's necessary for beginning and intermediate trainees in any sport. At the advanced level, coaching advice ought to come from a coach, not a book or an internet "expert."

GPP ought to be performed in such a way as to be minimally taxing to the student/athlete and therefore leaving plenty of time and energy for one's sport.

This isn't to say that the approach in the article will be wrong for all people or sports but rather that we don't support that a GPP movement, e.g., a kettlebell swing, ought to attempt to mimic the mechanics and movement patterns of any sport or class of sports. The swing is General by StrongFirst's definition, and by that definition, it will help anyone in any endeavor or walk of life who can benefit from having more General strength, and that group can even include some people who are already performing in their chosen sport at a fairly high level.

So ...

Yes, there are positives and negatives to any exercise. This version will miss out on the concept of rooting and the vertical plank, and it will also lead to a much less stable position at the top, which in my opinion, brings with it a higher risk of injury. NB: I have no science to support the heightened injury risk but that's my gut reaction. Your mileage may vary.

And ...

No. I don't buy into the basic premise of a direct carryover from the mechanics of the swing to any sport. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's a WTH effect and not the core of our approach, which is to bulletproof you with one-arm swings and getups, and then let you do whatever sport you like. We don't swing to jump higher or run faster, we swing to be stronger and more anti-fragile, and being stronger in our chosen GPP movements helps us to be more anti-fragile and therefore more able to do just about anything else.

-S-

What he said. Couldn't agree more @Steve Freides.

I think snatches will do more for improving jump than swings. Snatches also allow more natural inclusion of the ankle extension if you wish to do so. At the same time snatch ends on flat sole, so the balance is less of a problem.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom