all posts post new thread

Trying to get to Simple

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Colby Pitre

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all. My name is Colby Pitre. I have been "working out" for a couple years but not really getting the results I've wanted. I gave S&S about a year or two ago. I really liked it because of the mobility of the kettlebell. I stopped due to ripping a big callus on my hand while attempting single arm swings with the 32kg. I guess I skipped the section in the book about hand care. I am now revisiting it but taking it slower. I am really wanting to own the 24kg before moving up. I also enjoy calisthenics. I read a book by the Kavadlo brothers called Get Strong. So I am incorporating some of that program a couple days a week as well. Hopefully get to Simple standards before the end of the year. Next post will be the last couple of days of training. I thank you all in advance for any constructive criticism you may offer.

3/14.
Warm UP S&S with 100 jumps jump rope (I am trying to get better at utilizing a jump rope)
24kg
Swing 5x10 ea arm
TGU 5x1 ea arm
Pullup (yellow band for more resistance) 3x3
Pushup 3x10

3/15
Warm UP S&S with 100 jumps jump rope
Swing 1x20 (32kg) 4x10 ea arm
TGU 5x1 ea arm

3/16
24kg
Swing 5x10 ea arm
TGU 5x1 ea arm
Goblet Squat 3x20
Step Back Lunge 2x10 ea leg

3/17
24kg
TGU 5x1 ea arm
Push up 3x12
Pullup (yellow) 2x5

3/18
24kg
TGU 5x1 ea arm
Goblet Squat 2x30
Step Back Lunge 2x12 ea leg

3/19
24kg
TGU 5x1 ea arm

3/20
24kg
TGU 2x2, 1x1 ea arm
Pushup 3x12
Pullup (yellow) 4x5

3/22/2020
24kg
TGU 3x2 ea arm
Goblet Squat 2x30
Step Back Lunge 2x12 ea

Last edited:
Great work!
Thank you.
It is always great to get some encouragement from people who follow similar programming and have similar goals. My main goal is reach simple but as I said I am a fan of bodyweight work and really like the Kavadlo Bros book Get Strong. The volume is kind of high compared to Strongfirst but I would like to get some hypertrophy through the higher rep bodyweight training. If it start to interfere with my goal of simple then I will probably have to reduce or do the work on separate days and only do S&S 4 days a week.

Last edited:
3/24/2020
Pushup - 3x12
Pullup (yellow) - 4x5
Goblet Squat (24kg) - 2x30
Step Back Lunge (24kg) - 2x12 ea

3/26/2020
Pushup - 2x20
Pullup (yellow) - 4x6
Goblet Squat (24kg) - 2x30
Step Back Lunge (24kg) - 2x15 ea

Would love to hear some thoughts or criticisms on the pushup pullup squat and lunge day. This is the layout and rep scheme used in the Get Strong book from the Kavadlo bros but for the lower body I added the kettlebell I am currently working with for S&S. Not sure if this will be beneficial or harmful. Was thinking about doing ladders on those individual exercises instead until getting to 5x5 then adding weight and start the ladder over again (similar to fighter pullup protocol). I think the Get Strong reps has the volume for hypertrophy but worried it will interfere with my goal of reaching Simple.

Would love to hear some thoughts or criticisms on the pushup pullup squat and lunge day.
I think it comes down to your goals. If you are really "Trying to get to Simple" in the most direct way possible, following the program in the S&S 2.0 as closely as possible is best. This program has been through multiple iterations and is a proven way to build general physical fitness and to, of course, get to Simple.

I messed around for a long time with Kettlebells plus other things here and there and it really kept me in great shape. But it didn't really make me strong and it didn't get me to Simple. My goals then were to be in shape and have fun. My goals now are to get strong and get to Simple and the program as written is serving me well.

I think it comes down to your goals. If you are really "Trying to get to Simple" in the most direct way possible, following the program in the S&S 2.0 as closely as possible is best. This program has been through multiple iterations and is a proven way to build general physical fitness and to, of course, get to Simple.

I messed around for a long time with Kettlebells plus other things here and there and it really kept me in great shape. But it didn't really make me strong and it didn't get me to Simple. My goals then were to be in shape and have fun. My goals now are to get strong and get to Simple and the program as written is serving me well.
Thanks for the input Tim. I keep on going back and forth between my goals. I do want to get strong and I know reaching Simple would be a great accomplishment. I am not 100% on my goals. I actually think my goals are conflicting. I think the bodyweight work will help with aesthetics and some strength. I know the S&S work will help with strength but not so much on the aesthetics. I am not trying to look like a bodybuilder by any means but to look better is always a plus.

When you get strong enough to do Simple you will look strong. Again you need to decide what you want, but Simple is a great goal. It covers a lot of ground for people who have wider goals.

When you get strong enough to do Simple you will look strong. Again you need to decide what you want, but Simple is a great goal. It covers a lot of ground for people who have wider goals.
So you think use S&S only till getting to Simple. I at will at least have to add some pullups and squats if nothing else.

I am only saying that S&S to simple is Strong First’s recommended program to build base strength and power while also helping with mobility and hypertrophy. Squats are part of the program and “grease the groove” pull-ups can likely be added. But the choice is yours bases on your goals and interests.

I am only saying that S&S to simple is Strong First’s recommended program to build base strength and power while also helping with mobility and hypertrophy. Squats are part of the program and “grease the groove” pull-ups can likely be added. But the choice is yours bases on your goals and interests.
Thank you for that input. I may just do that. Stick with one goal and work my way through. Thanks

Since you mentioned that you're not100% what seems to be your concern??

What will help you gain better focus to lock in on attaining simple??

Since you mentioned that you're not100% what seems to be your concern??

What will help you gain better focus to lock in on attaining simple??
I think it is body image issues. I am not 100% that doing only swings and getups will give me the aesthetics I am after. I know it will make me strong and feel better that is for sure. I felt when I stuck with it for a serious amount of time and I hadn't even reached simple at that point. I guess it couldn't hurt anything though being that I have tried other things and never really got the aesthetic look I was after. Like I said not trying to look like a bodybuilder by any means. It would be nice to look like I at least lift though.

Ok you do know that to improve body composition, that requires a level of eating discipline..

You can't out train less than optimal eating habits.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom