all posts post new thread

Barbell What are attainable goals for the median average male population?

Bull_Rush

Level 2 Valued Member
In the three big powerlifts, the power clean, the standing barbell curl, and the standing overhead press.

Novice trainee, intermediate, and advanced.

If the male person is eighteen and goes to the gym for the first time and gets on a good program… Where will he end up after three years of consistent training at twenty-one years of age? This is assuming that he’s smart about his training and maybe even periodizes it all.

And what about bodyweight?

Too many variables to say.

good program
consistent training
smart about his training

By these things you might mean that he has a perfect coach who writes a perfect custom program which the trainee executes perfectly with no obstacles occurring and no life interference along the way.... None of which ever happen in real life. Not to mention genetic variability in potential and response to training.

What is the real question behind the question? Maybe, "How different a physical person might I be 3 years from now if I train for 3 years?" In that case it depends a lot on what you're aiming for. There are a lot of opportunities to adjust along the way; for instance, how big you want to be, what type of strength and abilities you want to develop, how much you're willing to compromise some qualities for other qualities, etc.

I will add that a healthy male between the age of 18 and 21 who is training consistently does have a very high potential for effecting change and making progress! Particularly if they are starting as a novice.

By the way, what do you mean by this? Three different scenarios for the question?

Novice trainee, intermediate, and advanced.

I will add that a healthy male between the age of 18 and 21 who is training consistently does have a very high potential for effecting change and making progress! Particularly if they are starting as a novice.

This is true, but also something that I've never been able to replicate later in life.

In my late teens / early 20s in my first few years of collegiate athletics and 'serious' S&C coaching, I put on 20+ lbs of muscle and most of my lifts doubled from an already reasonably good base (HS football).

There are 'newbie gains' and then there are 'young male newbie gains' -- the anabolic environment at that age, both hormonally and calorically, is a one time event without supraphysiological assisstance. :)

This is true, but also something that I've never been able to replicate later in life.

In my late teens / early 20s in my first few years of collegiate athletics and 'serious' S&C coaching, I put on 20+ lbs of muscle and most of my lifts doubled from an already reasonably good base (HS football).

There are 'newbie gains' and then there are 'young male newbie gains' -- the anabolic environment at that age, both hormonally and calorically, is a one time event without supraphysiological assisstance. :)
I'm the complete opposite. I never really had newbie gains when I seriously began training and eating at 18.

And I didn't truly peak or hit my genetic potential until 36-45 as far as strength, conditioning, leanness, health, etc.

I reckon the average young male lifter should be able to hit 1.5 bw squat, BW bench and 2xBW deadlift in first year of training. I certainly did in my early 20s. Within 3 years with dedicated training I think most could hit 2xBW squat, 1.5BW bench, 2.5BW deadlift and BW military press. Some will lift far more some will have to work hard to get to that level. But if you want goals for an average male I don’t think those are bad starting point.

For a male over 5’8” and over 185lbs 300/400/500 for big 3 are very realistically attainable for the average male trainee that spends 3 years of consistent hard work training them. I’d add 200 for press and 300 for clean.

Most people won’t see that as they won’t train in good technique, with consistency, on a good program, and being coached without getting distracted and changing goals in 6 mo.

For a male over 5’8” and over 185lbs 300/400/500 for big 3 are very realistically attainable for the average male trainee that spends 3 years of consistent hard work training them. I’d add 200 for press and 300 for clean.

Most people won’t see that as they won’t train in good technique, with consistency, on a good program, and being coached without getting distracted and changing goals in 6 mo.
I have to disagree with you on that especially within 3 years! For many, it could take a decade.

We see these numbers touted frequently as being realistic for the average male, but I can say they are not often seen.

I've trained in hardcore gyms in the 90's and early 2000's and it wasn't often that you saw these numbers. If you did, it was only a small handful that did, and they were far bigger than 5'8" and 185lbs. And they were powerlifters and competitive bodybuilders.

I have to disagree with you on that especially within 3 years! For many, it could take a decade.

We see these numbers touted frequently as being realistic for the average male, but I can say they are not often seen.

I've trained in hardcore gyms in the 90's and early 2000's and it wasn't often that you saw these numbers. If you did, it was only a small handful that did, and they were far bigger than 5'8" and 185lbs. And they were powerlifters and competitive bodybuilders.
My perspective might very well be skewed - selection bias, confirmation bias, what have you. But I frequently see people hit these within a couple years of hard, smart, and consistent training. The problem is most people usually are missing at least 1 of the 3.

200/300/400 SBD is easy to hit in 6-12 mo. for the 185lbs+ young male, if they find themselves with a good coach or mentor. Would you agree on that?

My perspective might very well be skewed - selection bias, confirmation bias, what have you. But I frequently see people hit these within a couple years of hard, smart, and consistent training. The problem is most people usually are missing at least 1 of the 3.

200/300/400 SBD is easy to hit in 6-12 mo. for the 185lbs+ young male, if they find themselves with a good coach or mentor. Would you agree on that?
That would be far more achievable and realistic!

I've seen many people hit at least one of the 300/400/500, some hit two of the three but few do all three.

You can pretty much always find that one guy in every gym that weighs 160-170lbs that can bench 315lbs, but he's usually not squatting over 400 (sometimes, yes, 405lbs) or Deadlifting 500.

That would be far more achievable and realistic!

I've seen many people hit at least one of the 300/400/500, some hit two of the three but few do all three.

You can pretty much always find that one guy in every gym that weighs 160-170lbs that can bench 315lbs, but he's usually not squatting over 400 (sometimes, yes, 405lbs) or Deadlifting 500.
Personally I think that’s where you see the problem not being the physical capability but either
1. Not lifting well enough and accumulating injuries
2. Not lifting with a plan (and only getting better and what you like/are good at - or staying stagnant)
3. Not lifting towards the same goal consistently

A lot of people get tired of the hard work it takes to get past those early gains, and so they fall off long before3 years of consistent hard work.

A lot of people get tired of the hard work it takes to get past those early gains, and so they fall off long before3 years of consistent hard work.

(^bold italics mine^)What it all boils down to: showing up day after day after day for years and working on a smart, solid, simple plan.

A lot of people chase the latest bright, shiny object and refuse to stick with anything for longer than a month or three. They get dejected and quit. The folks who stick with their plan develop the habit and learn/establish the nuances that go along with it. The quitters establish an orbit where they show up again every so often but are again hamstrung by their impatience and disappear again.

showing up day after day after day for years and working on a smart, solid, simple plan.
So, could you - in theory - recycle a single plan for those lifts over and over for these three years, if you're consistent toward the goal, and lifting with increasingly good technique? Or are different plans necessary for most people?

So, could you - in theory - recycle a single plan for those lifts over and over for these three years, if you're consistent toward the goal, and lifting with increasingly good technique? Or are different plans necessary for most people?
Most start with a linear progression adding 2.5kg to the bar each session as long as hit the desired sets and reps (often 5x5 or maybe 3x5) at some point this will stop working as the load exceeds recovery. At this point different programming is needed with some periodisation.

We know of people who’ve alternated 3 month linear cycles with 3 months of other things. That kind of planning can work for a long time.

We also know that a PlanStrong approach can work for years and years but the approach has differing programming built into it.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom