all posts post new thread

Barbell What are attainable goals for the median average male population?

How did you lose the weight? And what's keeping you from bulking and going for the 1200+ total?
The first time - crash diet. I didn’t know anything about eating healthy or eating for performance. A guy I was working with at the time was doing the Tim Ferris Slow Carb diet, so I just hopped on board with that and basically just ate about 1700 calories a day. So 1700 calories a day coupled with StrongLifts 5x5 for the first 2 years. Looking back, I’m surprised I made as much progress as I did in the beginning.

Long story short, I ended up with a coach for the next 3 years. He fixed my diet, training, etc.

When I stopped competing, I kept eating the same foods. I just halved the quantity of my meals and watched how much I was losing. Adjusted from there. Standard Calories In; Calories Out formula. Hopefully you weren’t hoping for a magic formula.

As for why I don’t push for it again - I picked up some injuries as I wouldn’t tell my coach when things were bothering me. I‘d just work through pain. I can really only bench press with dumbbells or a football/swiss bar. I have to front squat or safety bar squat no more back squats (squatter’s elbow is terrible and can impact my work since I type all day). So doing all the work to get up over 1200 again and not be able to compete? Just not worth it to me. I know “Do it for yourself”. I‘m just not interested anymore :)

I have one set of numbers I consider worthwhile - the standards for the SFL, which Pavel has explained don't mean you're strong, just that you're not weak.

A deadlift single @ 2x bodyweight and a BP @ 1.25 x bodyweight. 1.5 x and .75 x for women, respectively. Click Become An Instructor, then Barbell, then Requirements to see the full list.

-S-
And very achievable for most healthy adult males and females if they put in smart training and recovery :)

Back
Top Bottom