all posts post new thread

Barbell What are attainable goals for the median average male population?

We know of people who’ve alternated 3 month linear cycles with 3 months of other things. That kind of planning can work for a long time.

We also know that a PlanStrong approach can work for years and years but the approach has differing programming built into it.

-S
Sounds like we’re saying the same thing. You can’t just recycle one single thing over and over again exactly the same. You have to have some variety and wave the load and be consistent to make progress

5/3/1, Gallaghers powerlifting cycles, plan strong, all are more principle based. You don’t do the same exact plan over and over. You switch out lifts, you adjust loads, you change volume, etc.

I have one set of numbers I consider worthwhile - the standards for the SFL, which Pavel has explained don't mean you're strong, just that you're not weak.

A deadlift single @ 2x bodyweight and a BP @ 1.25 x bodyweight. 1.5 x and .75 x for women, respectively. Click Become An Instructor, then Barbell, then Requirements to see the full list.

-S-

So, could you - in theory - recycle a single plan for those lifts over and over for these three years, if you're consistent toward the goal, and lifting with increasingly good technique? Or are different plans necessary for most people?

This is gonna depend on who you ask. I've read Charles Poliquin saying you need to change things up after every twelve weeks. I've heard in YouTube about how Ronnie Coleman followed the same back workout for years and it kept making him bigger. People who are big on periodization have some kind of "ebb" to their training and things are rarely the same. 1980's Bulgarian weightlifters go balls-to-the-wall almost every single day year-round.

Personally, I follow Doug Hepburn's training system. For a whole year, he wants you to train a certain way with no changes necessary. After that year mark, you move on to his "B program" that is more intense and will carry you further as you train over the years.

This is gonna depend on who you ask. I've read Charles Poliquin saying you need to change things up after every twelve weeks. I've heard in YouTube about how Ronnie Coleman followed the same back workout for years and it kept making him bigger. People who are big on periodization have some kind of "ebb" to their training and things are rarely the same. 1980's Bulgarian weightlifters go balls-to-the-wall almost every single day year-round.

Personally, I follow Doug Hepburn's training system. For a whole year, he wants you to train a certain way with no changes necessary. After that year mark, you move on to his "B program" that is more intense and will carry you further as you train over the years.
If you're a complete beginner, you can use a standard linear progression and make gains for a long time. 'Newbie gains' as they are often called. Some people keep progressing on this kind of programming for a year or so, others much less. The key issue is, that as you get stronger the poundage, and so volume, increases which takes more to recover from. At some point the programming needs to change to take account of this or you won't be able to recover and progress.

intermediate programs have some kind of periodisation built in which means you can continue to make gains once the newbie gains have worn off, it will just slow down a lot. You could start as a beginner on this kind of program, but its just not a very efficient use of time.

I'd add to the above that most males don't physically mature until around 23 years so you can expect to see some gains after 21 just as a consequence of natural development. My personal experience, as a complete amateur, is that I achieved about a 2.75x BW deadlift from one paid coaching session and taking advice on this forum. I was in my forties when I started to take deadlifting seriously, and this took a few years

We know of people who’ve alternated 3 month linear cycles with 3 months of other things. That kind of planning can work for a long time.

We also know that a PlanStrong approach can work for years and years but the approach has differing programming built into it.

-S-
I'd second that on PlanStrong, can do successive cycles making progress. Also when purchasing an individualised program you xan raise whatever issues you want. When I was first on PlanStrong I didn't discuss a more modest volume approach with Fabio, didnt have the need, but I'm sure he'd come up with something effective if asked. The volume did end up being an issue for me and I gravitated to this earlier program, a proto version based on the same volume principles, published by Craig Marker years ago. It's like an old dude's PlanStrong with more modest volume to mitigate stress and strain. I've shared it with a lot of older guys over the years, some of whom have been on it now for years, and swear by it for slow steady gains.

Armour Building.JPG

I too, gravitate towards the classic 300/400/500. Or could I say a 1200 total so there's some individual variety in it.

It won't likely be easy if you're not blessed but I think a reasonably big boy should be able to do it. And I figure that was the original context.

I see a lot of talk about consistency and it's of course important but I'd also like to point out progression. And with more ambition, awareness of personal weak points and due care to them, whether they're technical, physical, mental or around recovery.

The best do far more than 1200 in their three first years, so in my view there's no point saying it takes exceptional genetics.

Thanks for the replies folks, but can you please check this out?

Do you consider these accurate numbers?

I feel paradoxical about them.

For people who regularly lift, they seem conservative.

For general population, they seem ambitious.

standing barbell curl, and the standing overhead press.
I think these may be quite hard to standardize. There's just too much variation in technique - a back swing in a curl or a "hip jerk+standing incline press" method in an OHP can add so much weight to render a comparison with a strict version meaningless. And most people develop the "cheat" form unconsciously.

The barbell curl is considered one of the big three powerlifts?

In the three big powerlifts, the power clean, the standing barbell curl, and the standing overhead press.

I read it to mean:
  • squat
  • bench press
  • deadlift
  • power clean
  • standing barbell curl
  • standing overhead press

For a male over 5’8” and over 185lbs 300/400/500 for big 3 are very realistically attainable for the average male trainee that spends 3 years of consistent hard work training them. I’d add 200 for press and 300 for clean.

Most people won’t see that as they won’t train in good technique, with consistency, on a good program, and being coached without getting distracted and changing goals in 6 mo.
I think the big caveat to this would be if they start at 185 and are still at 185 3 years later, it probably isn’t going to happen. You have to have nutrition supporting the goal as well.

I‘m 47 and started powerlifting at 38. Took me 5 years, but I got to a 1260 pound total…once :)

I started at a bodyweight of 240 (stereotypical heavy computer programmer), dropped to 190, and built back up to 225. I’m now 198 and could probably go out in my garage and put up 1000 pound total. And I’m at peace with that.

Of course, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get the itch every once and awhile to go after 1200+ again...

I‘m 47 and started powerlifting at 38. Took me 5 years, but I got to a 1260 pound total…once :)

I started at a bodyweight of 240 (stereotypical heavy computer programmer), dropped to 190, and built back up to 225. I’m now 198 and could probably go out in my garage and put up 1000 pound total. And I’m at peace with that.

Of course, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get the itch every once and awhile to go after 1200+ again...

Good for you for making positive changes in life.

How did you lose the weight? And what's keeping you from bulking and going for the 1200+ total?

I once had a 445 squat but had to stop pushing for more weight because I was way too fat. Doctor told me I'll end up diabetic if I didn't make changes.

Back
Top Bottom