all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance What Are We Supposed to be FEELING When Doing SF033?

Great question!

Maybe this passage from Q&D will help you:
Counsel from Pavel that I insolently ignored! Thank you very much sir! It is now clear that I had overestimated myself. Also I did not read the book carefully enough. This is a good lesson!

I wouldn't claim to know exactly why. BUT,

as I've progressed in my journey. the experience of 044 has noticeably changed in this way.

when I was less strong, 044 seemed perceptively easier.
when I became more strong, 044 seems perceptively harder.

I have to breathe deeper.
I have to keep my active rest milder.

Now, having been through it several times while becoming stronger through this and other training ...

I recover less well between sets.
I recover better between series.

I feel more taxed after the set.
the set feels tougher.
but the program is easier on me throughout the week.
the session feels easier.

HYPOTHESIS: It could be the case that you're a more explosive athlete, in general; and you're paying for it. could be. in which case @Bauer 's citation is even more important to take heed of.

also, maybe you could use a lighter bell.
the test is not perfectly perfect, as purported in the explanation of the test, itself.
the disclaimer may apply - and maybe, you might fit with a lighter bell, anyways.
This experience is wonderful! And it is exactly what I have noticed - the set feels incredibly tough yet I am able to recover quickly after the session. I will take a step back and gradually build up. Thank you very much!

Q and D isnt for everyone. What is your training history? Pavel mentions the program is an advanced minimalist program. I’m not calling you a beginner. He does say that if you are still working your way to simple standard it isn’t for you. People who receive the most profound benefits are experienced athlets, people who can press the beast, etc. Just depends if you are the type of person who can benefit from the program.
I had been an aerobics athlete for 4 consecutive years. In 2020 I retired and started kettlebell. I've been doing S&S and practiced other kb movements since then. Before I began Q&D I was enjoying my 36kg timeless S&S, yet couldn't reach the Simple Standard.

Q&D is always brutal for me. its supposed to be a hard buildup then a longer rest to recover... maybe add and extra minute to the recovery? So, go 10/2 or 5/4 of the swings then rest top of the minute + 2 min instead of just 1 min then go into pushups, or rest top of the minute + 1 min, go into pushups then rest +2 after the circuit is complete? I personally would add an extra minute of rest somewhere... just my $.2 cents
Good advice! For some odd reason I feel better recovered doing 10/2 than 5/4. I might add an extra min of rest when the dice tells me to do 10/2 and 5 series.

I had been an aerobics athlete for 4 consecutive years. In 2020 I retired and started kettlebell. I've been doing S&S and practiced other kb movements since then. Before I began Q&D I was enjoying my 36kg timeless S&S, yet couldn't reach the Simple Standard.
I think the work is supposed to feel demanding as you are expressing max power. The first couple weeks of the program you are supposed to hold back from max power. Then after a few weeks don’t hold back the power. I just started 044 so Im still holding back on power. I do know that two hand swinging a 48kg to me doesn’t feel nearly as difficult as two hand swinging a 32 using over speed eccentrics. The two different weights really change the session. I would say if you are truly using power in your swings then it’s going to be challenging but the generous rest periods should allow you the ability to repeat power. And as always adhere to all the stop signs in your session.

Well this thread reinforced that I did Q&D wrong. Swings weren’t getting me out of out of breath until the third or fourth series. And I’m not a well conditioned guy.

I’ll have to try Q&D sprints and see how it goes.

Something I’ve always wondered about Q&D: Pavel says it’s for experienced athletes, but what exactly does that mean? There’s a suggestion that Timed Simple is a starting point, but is there any other standard that is a must to be considered an “experienced athlete”?

Something I’ve always wondered about Q&D: Pavel says it’s for experienced athletes, but what exactly does that mean? There’s a suggestion that Timed Simple is a starting point, but is there any other standard that is a must to be considered an “experienced athlete”?
Q&D isn't just about reps and sets. It's about depleting energy reserves deeply and quickly. One needs to be skilled at applying power in the exercises involved to really make it work.

I would probably say that a solid one arm swing and clean would be good prerequisites. As well as have solid stability in your shoulders from pressing and doing get ups. I don’t think you have to be a professional athlete to reap benefits from q&d. In the book Pavel says professional athletes and people who can press the beast for reps made the biggest gains from the program. However, I am not a professional athlete and I can’t press the beast for reps yet. If you are an experienced athlete I’m sure you already know whether you are or not. Personally, I’ve trained BJJ for 20 years and competed at a decent level for awhile and still doubted whether I was experienced enough to do 044. I just buckled down and decided to try it a few weeks ago and while it may be too early to report the benefits of it, I can definitely feel a difference in my body.

I think being proficient in the swing (1&2H) and snatch... Plus a baseline level of strength (S&S simple standard & SFG snatch test) are baselines to accomplish before going to Q&D

I would say roughly a solid year under your belt training S&S, ETK, & some A+A would be good

Back
Top Bottom