all posts post new thread

Barbell What muscles does the zercher squat work

Hmmmm

Level 1 Valued Member
I know it works your abs and quads. I dont know what other muscles it works. I had a problem with this since people said it works your back but wasnt sure if it worked the back all around like the deadlift and suitcase deadlift. Im scared of missing certain back muscles

I know it works your abs and quads. I dont know what other muscles it works. I had a problem with this since people said it works your back but wasnt sure if it worked the back all around like the deadlift and suitcase deadlift. Im scared of missing certain back muscles
The upper back and bicep get a lot of work. Pretty much the whole body as far as stabilizers go.

I feel that Zerchers work my posterior chain pretty well, especially if I do the 8 o'clock version as opposed to the 6 o'clock version. If you're not sure what that means, check out the SF video tutorial on Zerchers (which I can't find now for some reason but maybe you'll be more successful).

check out the SF video tutorial on Zerchers (which I can't find now for some reason but maybe you'll be more successful).

For some reason I was thinking it was a free offering within this course; i.e. you can see the zercher lesson without purchasing the course, but I could be wrong. Can't tell if what I'm seeing is what everyone sees, but here's a link to the online barbell course.

Also here's a video I made of zerchers; 5 reps with the "8 o-clock version" followed by one rep with the "6 o'clock version".

wasnt sure if it worked the back all around like the deadlift and suitcase deadlift. Im scared of missing certain back muscles

I agree, the back will do some work with both versions, but probably more with the "8 o'clock version" (more like a low bar back squat).

All that said, I think the deadlift will generally work the back more, because most people can load it heavier. But then, does "work" mean load, or volume? Depends on the objective. You might get more time under tension for the back with zercher squat programming compared to deadlift programming. Of course either one can be manipulated for more load/intensity or more volume. Again, depends on the objective.

Perhaps define what "missing certain back muscles" might do, ultimately, that concerns you. Are you concerned with specific strength development, movement quality, aesthetics/physique, etc...?

A Zercher deadlift off the floor should fill in any gaps. ZDL/ZSQ ( the 6 o'clock version) is a nifty little combo.

A Zercher deadlift off the floor should fill in any gaps. ZDL/ZSQ ( the 6 o'clock version) is a nifty little combo.
*If your back can tolerate it.

To answer OP: have you tried them for reps with a heavy (for you) weight? Then you will find the answer.
I did 3 reps with 2xBW, which is 0 RIR, so really heavy for me. The days after the muscles in my whole back, arms and legs hurt.

With bodyweight (not heavy for me)... I only get pain in my proximal underarm (from where the barbell applies direct pressure). And depending on stance, inner thigh.

Perhaps define what "missing certain back muscles" might do, ultimately, that concerns you. Are you concerned with specific strength development, movement quality, aesthetics/physique, etc...?
strength. I mean aesthetics matter but it's just a aide effect of pursuing strength. they dont matter THAT much.

To define missing back muscles. If for example my lower back is underdeveloped then i know that's bad. Or if my rhomboids are underdeveloped- dont know if thats bad. You could substituted those 2 muscles for other ones.

strength. I mean aesthetics matter but it's just a aide effect of pursuing strength. they dont matter THAT much.

To define missing back muscles. If for example my lower back is underdeveloped then i know that's bad. Or if my rhomboids are underdeveloped- dont know if thats bad. You could substituted those 2 muscles for other ones.
Makes sense. I think anything where you are supporting heavy weight from the arms shoulders and leaning over is going to develop strength in all the back muscles. So I would go back to programming... it's more about reps, sets, and weight than it is about which specific movement you do. The more reps, sets and weights you do, the more it matters. And it generally takes a while to work up to a lot of heavy zercher squats, just because elbows can be somewhat of a limiter. So, you won't be missing anything by giving them a try. Focus on really good posture and position with your back; extended t-spine, maintaining tension, keep arms well connected to torso with lats, effective use of breath tension, etc.

As another option to consider, Olympic lifts and variations are great for developing the upper back, as well as the rest of the back muscles and the rest of the muscles of the whole body! Strength, movement quality, power, mobility... they take a lot, but also give a lot in return.

Christian Thibaudeau's Zercher article touches on differences compared to front squat.

Inability to bend the wrist backwards is a barrier for some people against the front squat. The arms crossed over chest version is also awkward.

In my experience:
Abs. Quads. Glutes. Upper back - less than the front squat. Painful for the elbows, so, for me, not the weight, but the pain was the limiting factor.
Think of something between the front squat and the belt squat.
The interesting implementatuon would be: front squat, when the grip fails, switch to California front squat, then catch it in the zercher position, squat some more, put it on the legs and deadlift it down.
The benefit ( the major one) would be squatting without a rack. I have deadlifted it to the hips and squatted from there way before Fabio's instructions. It's a natural thing to do.
That being said, after I have got myself a squat rack, I have abandoned the zercher squat without any regrets. An exercise should not hurt.
My choice of squats is: low bar squat and front squat. Low bar is "hips up", and front squat is "chest up". High bar squat is in between. By the way - I totally get the Olympic lifters squatting high bar: closer to the front squat, and you can dump the bar back without using a rack.

In my experience:
Abs. Quads. Glutes. Upper back - less than the front squat. Painful for the elbows, so, for me, not the weight, but the pain was the limiting factor.
Think of something between the front squat and the belt squat.
The interesting implementatuon would be: front squat, when the grip fails, switch to California front squat, then catch it in the zercher position, squat some more, put it on the legs and deadlift it down.
The benefit ( the major one) would be squatting without a rack. I have deadlifted it to the hips and squatted from there way before Fabio's instructions. It's a natural thing to do.
That being said, after I have got myself a squat rack, I have abandoned the zercher squat without any regrets. An exercise should not hurt.
My choice of squats is: low bar squat and front squat. Low bar is "hips up", and front squat is "chest up". High bar squat is in between. By the way - I totally get the Olympic lifters squatting high bar: closer to the front squat, and you can dump the bar back without using a rack.

Is the pain really that bad? I have previously wondered why it's so uncomfortable for some and not so for others.

It is not my place to decide for others how they feel it and what's too much, far from it. I'm just curious if there's something mechanical, something concrete one could work on, and so on.

It's just odd as I've never seen myself as a tough guy or with pain tolerance or such and I've done a zercher with 200kg, so go figure.

Thibaudeau recommends a long sleeve shirt with knee sleeves to reduce discomfort on the elbow pits

He doesn't mention it but you can see that his hands are supinated, which I have seen at least one other coach recommend. The reasoning is the supination fires up a little more forearm and bicep muscle which for some people might provide just enough extra "padding" for the elbow pits.

Back
Top Bottom